FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 06:37 am   Permalink

Great Tangaroa, I like the proportions. I would let him colour naturally, maybe a light coat of wax, but it would be ashame to hide the woods beautiful natural colour.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 08:10 am   Permalink

Very nice and crisp Harro...and symmetrical. This wood is really beautiful...Will it eventually weather like the outside of that log? I like the richness of that red.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-05 10:44 pm   Permalink

Those are good questions about the stain, Harro. I'd like to know about that stuff too. Staining and finishing is the one thing I have the most issues with. I really like the red color the Quebracho has. (gotta be from the buenos aires!). Maybe if you put a wash with a dark stain that would fill in the carved out parts like an antiquing and some kind of clear satin finish over it to preserve the color?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-02-06 12:18 am   Permalink

Nice tang. Clean lines.Sharp.GROG like.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 07:57 am   Permalink

Cheers Cheeky, Bowana, Robin, Clarita and Grog - thanks for stopping by!

Robin I dont think it will weather as much as the outside of the other log - that is the rough outside of the log just under the bark line i think. I'm hoping it will go a shad of red similar to the ends, or like the other little piece.

Bowana yes I will probably do what you suggested, maybe just let him soak in some good airs first!

I finished the carving and sanding, and for the moment haven't done anything to him regarding stain or finish. Still trying to learn more about that stuff, and in the meantime he has been getting himself a nice tan over the last few days:

and with modesty loin-cloth :

cheers.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 08:07 am   Permalink

Excellent work HArro, now aren't you happy that you didn't throw him into the fireplace? It's also a beautiful piece of wood and looks like it may turn to the darker reddish if left alone. I am Really glad you stuck with it and finished him up.Sweet!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-07 08:10 am   Permalink

harro, very nice work! I dig the color.

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 11:16 am   Permalink

WOW- excellent work, and really glad you stuck with it too.. The carving will be nothing but easier from here on out once you get into some softer wood!

If he were mine, I'd let it age too- that wood seems to have a natural and beautiful 'oxidation' from the pics you've seen..

NEXT!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully 2008-02-07 11:17 ]

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-07 12:11 pm   Permalink

Dude! It looks great just like that! Don't touch it!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 12:20 pm   Permalink

Aloha harro!!!
Sweet Tang carving!!!Excellent job harro, keep slaying the wood, Aloha , your friend, Mooney

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 2:42 pm   Permalink

That is choice Nice Work ! Love the color and
texture of that wood.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 6:00 pm   Permalink

Very nice Harro. I'm in love with that wood...beautiful. Congratulations on overcoming the obstacles to this carving in a foreign land.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 6:43 pm   Permalink

that looks gorgeous Very nice my freind!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-02-07 7:33 pm   Permalink

Awesome carving and color. Congrats. Two semi-opposable thumbs up.

[ This Message was edited by: grog 2008-02-07 21:45 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-09 08:23 am   Permalink

Great carving, beautiful wood!!

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation