FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 9:11 pm   Permalink

Wow nice, he looks great! Nice classic look.
How tall is he its hard to tell?

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-04 08:44 am   Permalink

[quote]Hi Clarita - this guy is taking some time to pop out of his fresno skin, but when he does he will be looking forward to living with you in your little bamboo hideaway! [quote]
!! He is looking so cool! this is going to make me an official tiki girl a think, and my bamboo hideaway a Tiki bamboo hideaway, I 'm so happy i can't explain it in words!!
Thanks SO much my friend!!!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 3:51 pm   Permalink

gracias Clarita!!!

Cheers Seeksurf, he's just a wee fella, about 23cm high (or 9 inches for you guys)

Thanks Surfintiki, but he's more like a Ku than a Lono i think!??

Yeah Robin, it seems like they always take ages but then as soon as you make some eyes it suddenly appears to being going somewhere!! The eyes are the turning point i think!

I've finished the carving now I think, so now have to start the sanding - all by hand too

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 9:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-03 15:21, harro wrote:
Bowana - thanks for doing the homework on this wood!! Can I come to you every time I get lost in translation here? (just about every day).

Si, claro! (Sure!) I am no expert though. Get yourself a Spanish dictionary and a book on verb conjugations. Soon you'll know enough to be as dangerous with it as I am. Yikes!

Your carving is great. Kona Style has always been my favorite. Looking forward to seeing how you stain it.

Che!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 02:57 am   Permalink

Man, you've got some skilled chops going on there. Sweet carves harro!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 3:48 pm   Permalink

Gracias Bowana y Paipo!

So, I take it most folks here, at least at one time or another, have been a bit overwhelmed in the "Stain and Finishing" aisle of your local hardware store. It can be a bit hard do distinguish the differences in colours/shades/finishes/qualities etc, let alone decide which to take the plunge and purchase.

Well take that feeling and multiply it by 100 when you can't really understand anything written on the tins! After a half hour of scouring the backs of tins, looking at all the little sample bits of wood on the displays (meanwhile rapidly expanding my spanish hardware vocabulary), I chose a stain and a varnish that hopefully will be adequate for this tiki and a couple of others too.

The stain was a concentrate that had to be mixed with the varnish and turps (havent done it like that before!). Here's a pic after the first coat of stain:

I wiped it off the high areas as I went, and plan to put a few more coats of stain to try and get some deep colouring in the recesses.

Thanks for looking.

By the way, turps is aguarrįs in spanish - word of the day!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 5:39 pm   Permalink

Man this is a great looking tiki! Well done and the adventure of the whole thing is great to read about too

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2008-04-10 17:40 ]

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 11:45 pm   Permalink

very good.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 1:43 pm   Permalink

Excellent tiki, Excellent choices in Stain and Excellent finishing job. Harro Rocks!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 9:35 pm   Permalink

"have been a bit overwhelmed in the "Stain and Finishing"

I hear you brother. Your doing great. I have along ways to go
in this department.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-14 09:43 am   Permalink

Looking great!! Can't wait to see it finish finish!! I know the weather is not helping at all...

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-14 3:00 pm   Permalink

Cheers Hewey, Benella, Benzart, Seeksurf and Clarita!! I just put the first coat of clear varnish on so hopefully it'll be done in a couple more days.

So, this month is "Show your workspace month" - I'll take you all on a tour and hopefully I don't lose you along the way. I'm sure there's going to be a few jealous people out there once they see the vast, luxurious surrounds of the space I have to work in.

Depending on the traffic, I'll either catch a taxi or just walk from the living room of our apartment to the workshop on the balcony (tough commute):

Here we have the workbench and tool chest with an almost limitless supply of 4 chisels and a cheapo dremel copy with 8 bits:

Next we have the ergonomically correct carver's broken plastic seat and safety workboots:

And finally to conclude our tour for today, we have the paint store consisting of 1 tin of varnish, 1 concentrate stain, 2 brushes and 1 bottle of turps. if you can peer past all that, you may get a glimpse of the log storage room:

I think I have already posted a pic of the panoramic vista offered to me from this workshop (back a couple of pages), so no need to make you even more jealous than you already are by this point.

Thanks for stopping by!!

Harro.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-14 7:43 pm   Permalink

Nice,Looks like my work spaces.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-15 05:53 am   Permalink

Excellent use of the work space, Harro and I Especially covet those work boots you have there. Just goes to show you don't need lots and lots of tools to make beautiful carvings!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-15 08:27 am   Permalink

Nice closet, Harro! A wee carving space is better than no carving space though. Did you read that newspaper?

The "stain and finishing aisle" has always been a bit of an enigma for me too. Your piece is looking good. Looking forward to seeing the staining progress.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation