FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-01 5:31 pm   Permalink

Fan-friggin'-tastic ! I remember seeing some of these on Tiki Hula's site. I would love to be able to use some of these in the "Look of Tiki" as examples of Tiki temple priestesses in native garb. So it's not all Mai Kai girls. Let me know if that would be possible. I believe you are the new holder of the rights.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-01 9:04 pm   Permalink

Wow! Wow! Wow!
Thanks for posting these photos.
If you look at the second photo you will see the bamboo bridge
behind the girl.
This bridge was not bamboo for long as it was replaced by a metal
railing, Rot I would guess is the reason.
I have never seen that close a photo of the first railing till now.
The fire fish on top were made of plywood as well at the start.
Both of these items most likely were tossed and replaced by the metal ones.
I think they are in Vermont now, the metal ones that is.
But what about those tiki in these photos?
There are three of them I've never seen.
And I've seen most of the Kahiki stuff over the years. (they are not in my videos Of the Kahiki)
I would say these walked out of the Kahiki early in their Kahiki life.
The kahiki opened in 1961 late in the year so these photos are only 1 or so years old.
Thanks again great photos!
This is why I love TC.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-01 10:21 pm   Permalink

Just found this out in net land.

Kahiki Polynesian Restaurant - Vague Recollections
The Kahiki will be sorely missed by me, having gone numerous times as a child, but even more so because back in the '60s my parents -- Bob & Dorothy Breining -- made the "mystery bowl" ceramic drink bowls, from their humble little ceramic shop in the basement of our home on Broadhurst Dr. in Whitehall Oh., not two miles from the famed Kahiki. Fond fond memories of the building's long "fish tank" on one side or a one-of-a-kind, building-long "rain forest." It would actually "rain" several times an hour. Or the grass skirted woman who would "offer up" to the gods the "mystery bowl" drink, as she would deliver the drink to patrons who ordered it. The atmosphere was absolutely unforgettable. [philip breining, 01/30/2009]

Hey philip you out there?
What mugs did your parents make?
Would love to talk to you.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-03 05:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-01 17:31, bigbrotiki wrote:
Fan-friggin'-tastic ! I remember seeing some of these on Tiki Hula's site. I would love to be able to use some of these in the "Look of Tiki" as examples of Tiki temple priestesses in native garb. So it's not all Mai Kai girls. Let me know if that would be possible. I believe you are the new holder of the rights.

By all means, use them for your endeavor. Let me know if you need the slides!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-08 07:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-01 15:01, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
After reading through all 21 pages on this thread, which I found informative and entertaining (the reason I come here) it appears the images I am going to post have not been posted here yet? These were slides I purchased at the same time I purchased the menus I recently posted. Again, I feel very fortunate to have these and wanted to share them here. I finally had the time to go and buy a slide converter and figure out how to use it today, so here are the images from the slides marked "Kahiki, October 1963"...

Pretty cool thread!

Later,

PTD

Please post these images again if you can. I would love to see them.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-08 8:46 pm   Permalink

The photo links are broken.

View Profile of Tiki Joe Send a personal message to Tiki Joe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-01-08 9:23 pm   Permalink

From earlier today:

Quote:

On 2011-01-08 15:19, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Keep in mind missing photos are still being restored. if you see broken photos from recent posts, don't remove them from your posts. They'll come back later (hopefully)

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 3:09 pm   Permalink

Since the possibility of these pictures being recoverd looks grim, I am reposting the copies of the slides.

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-11 05:19 am   Permalink

Wholly Smokes!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are truly amazing!! Thanks for re-posting Psycho-D!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-11 06:11 am   Permalink

Great snaps. The loss of the Kahiki is painful even this many years out, but it is fantastic to see photos of it here and other tiki sites now and then.

A couple of the pics are some of the best shots of the detail around the fireplace that I've seen while it was still in the K.

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-11 5:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the repost!!!
And did you see that only one girl has blond hair.
The girls at the Kahiki had to wear black wigs back in the day.
I wonder if these may have been taken by Lee Henry he was
a photographer back then, and that kinda looks like one of the offices.
Boom Chicka Wow Wow.

Oh, and RIP Marsh Padilla It was great to meet you and your wife Nina.

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-12 07:27 am   Permalink

Re: Marsh Padilla............

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=37133&forum=11&start=30&30

tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-12 4:37 pm   Permalink

Christmas eve, Wow that's rough.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-15 05:54 am   Permalink

Question: The fifth slide from the top (girl with arms up next to Moai with cap)... Could that be a Barney West? Are there other examples of his carvings at the Kahiki? Pardon my ignorance on this point if it has already been discussed, but a search turned up nothing.

Those slides are really terrific, PTD! I love it when treasures like this surface out of nowhere. Having just gone through hundreds of my family's old slides from the 50s onward and scanning them all into the computer, it looks to me like some of these slides could benefit from some color adjustments, contrast tweaking, etc and they'd be good as new.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-16 9:51 pm   Permalink

I have never seen that tiki at the Kahiki.
It looks like it was at the left side of the Kahiki in a garden
that was not there for long.
They may have needed the space for parking.
I have an idea where it may be if I can get a photo I will post it here.
Do not hold your breath though, It's a long shot that it's there.

Great photos though, I kinda like the off color old photo look.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation