FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-09 10:08 am   Permalink

My family had four restaurants in Columbus and one was down the street from the first Hustler club.
Well Larry and some girl came in it was 24 hours and the waitress came to my mom and said "Ida I can't
serve them" my mom said "it's just Larry" and the waitress said "But Ida" so my mom said I'll do it,
when my mom went over the girl had a coat on that was open and she was naked but for that coat.
My mom had some wild stories.

"He also did some work for Larry Flynt’s estate in Bexley."
This house is across the street from the school for girls, Larrys joke for sure.

That's what I heard, and that he did work on the Hustler club here and may have met someone?
Plus was told that he used to wreck his car a lot.
Some things I can't post here as they many not be all the way true or it may
be something that people don't want to be told.
Would love to meet here at the Windward Passage, it is as close to the Kahiki as you will get in
Columbus been around since the 70s.
Would be great if you could talk to any in your family and get as much info on Bernie so it
can be saved here.
We did talk to Herman Leitwein and you don't hear much about Herman or Bernie.

The "book" people may read this and get in touch with you just to let you know.
Heck if I could spell or form a sentence I would write the book and cut out the middle men/women.

Thanks for getting back to us!!!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-09 10:50 am   Permalink

WOW! Just when you think you've seen or heard everything BOOM!!

Thanks NorthEnder for writing and clarifying about your uncle Bernie.

I am one of the four authors working on the Kahiki book. It should be available in October 2014.

Tikiskip is an invaluable resource for ALL things Kahiki. In fact if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have half the interviews that I conducted. We really fell into a lot of things together just talking to people.

If you happen upon any photos of your uncle that would be great. I know we have more pictures than we can use, but Bernie was pretty important and we have NO pictures of him at all.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-09 1:15 pm   Permalink

"I am one of the four authors working on the Kahiki book."

FOUR! I thought there were like 50 people or more working on many Kahiki books. Smile

So Jeff did Bill talk of Bernie when we talked with him? I know Bill did say some stuff about Bernie at
one time just don't know if you were there or not.
The article that Jeff did for the first Tiki mag was cut to like nothing, Too bad there was some good
stuff in there.

I forget most of what I hear shortly after so that is also why I put it here.

But... PLEASE add photos or any info you can here as lots of this gets picked up and feeds the world wide web.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NorthEnder

Posted: 2014-05-09 1:22 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Larry Flynt was/is a piece of work.

The problem with my memories is that I was a young kid when Uncle Bernie was doing work for Flynt. I was around 10 years old, so I don’t know much about what was happening in his life, and my mother shielded me from a lot of information, I’m sure. Bernie would often show up at our house to use the phone when he was working, which sounds crazy these days, but at that time there were no cell phones. We lived in North Linden, and he would come in, make a few calls, visit with Mom for a few minutes, and take off again. He usually wore one of those flat British caps, which was totally out of style for your typical Midwesterner. He was an eccentric guy. Always a little odd. He wrecked his car only once that I remember. He hit some black ice, lost control, and ended up having a fairly severe crash. After that, he would always wear a crash helmet with a chin strap whenever he was behind the wheel. Imagine how that looked. Anyway, Bernie may have met someone at the Hustler club…I just don’t know. He started making trips out to California regularly to do work for Flynt (I was told). At one point I heard he’d been introduced to Ruth Carter Stapleton and he became interested in Christianity. My mother, a good Christian woman, was all tingly. She bought him a Bible and did her best to encourage him, but I don’t think it lasted for very long. Anyway, one day I heard that Uncle B wasn’t coming back to Ohio anymore. He left his wife and four kids—all under 12 at the time (if I recall). After that, he just sort of vanished from our radar. Years went by without seeing him or hearing from him. After my cousins grew older they moved down South. Later on they made it out to California to visit him, but I never heard any specifics about what he was doing. When his mother died around 1990, he didn’t attend the funeral. He also missed his father’s funeral in ’95. In the late 90s my mother told us Uncle B was battling prostate cancer and he was trying some alternative treatments. And then one day, he came back to Ohio and we had a brief visit and a dinner, and that was the last time I saw him.

Actually, that’s pretty much all I know about Bernie Altenbach. I’m not sure I could give you any substantial information. I might be able to track down a photo or two. I’ll check with my mother. You should probably talk to my cousins—Bernie’s kids. I can reach out to them if you like. I’m not sure if my mother would want to talk, but she might. I could see. They know a lot more than I. Really…I’d love to hear what YOU know about Bernie—especially the stuff you can’t post online. As I’ve said, we kids were shielded from most of his life. I’d love to know more. To me he was just Uncle Bernie or “Uncle B.” He built a house out on Hoover Reservoir and we’d go out there every Christmas Eve and for birthdays and whatever. It was a modern-looking design. It’s still there off of Red Bank Road in Galena. The family room looked down on a wooded ravine and had a floor to ceiling glass window. There was a clothes chute, which we used to play with (until the adults made us stop), and he had the first microwave oven I’d ever seen. It could heat water in 2 to 3 minutes. It was amazing. But the house was always under construction. It was never finished. There was always a pile of gravel outside, stacks of things wrapped in plastic sheeting, and exposed dirt (sometimes mud) instead of lawn. Something always needed to be done. They lived in that house for more than a decade, but it was never completed. I think it was a microcosm of Bernie’s life.

View Profile of NorthEnder Send a personal message to NorthEnder      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-09 1:25 pm   Permalink

Yeah, we talked a little about Bernie with Bill Sapp and Lee Henry but they didn't really have a lot to say.

We got what we could.

I'm just glad we're interviewing these people now. These people are getting old and their memories are not what they used to be. A lot of times we have to play detective.

One thing though is this book will be packed with info!!! Lot's of great interviews too!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

@NorthEnder: Feel free to pm me with contact info for Bernie's kids. I'd love to make contact. Thanks again for all your info and welcome to Tiki Central!!

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2014-05-09 13:32 ]

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-09 2:40 pm   Permalink

"After that, he would always wear a crash helmet with a chin strap whenever he was behind the wheel. Imagine how that looked."

YES! That's what I was getting at!
Bill told us that.
And that he had an air conditioner on his car, Like the one you would put in a HOUSE!
Ring a bell?
Would love to get the address of that house so I could put a photo up of it.

Kahiki was built by all these talented odd artsie types.
So cool, need to get the stories that make up this place called Kahiki.

Will PM ya to see if we can meet, sounds like we are about the same age.
Windward is full of old timers form around town and love to tell old stories.
And it's not expensive.

I will say Jeff is the one "book" writers that I would endorse, not to say the others are bad just
don't know them.

Not you Greg, but then where are you at?(other book writer)

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-09 2:47 pm   Permalink

PS Northender, click on Personal Messages by the blinking red letter on the forum page of Tiki Central
to get message.

NorthEnder

Posted: 2014-05-09 4:57 pm   Permalink

Man, I don't remember the air conditioner on the car. I'd have to ask my older brother about that one, but it's so Bernie. He was always a bit out there--a bit on the edge. I don't remember the address of the house off Red Bank, but as I recall, you cross Hoover Reservoir on Sunbury Road; at the intersection of Sunbury and Red Bank, turn right, and then take an immediate right. The house should be just down the lane--first driveway on the left. My wife and I drove over there maybe 10 years ago. Maybe more. Just wanted to take a look at the place. It's changed since the 70s and 80s, as you can imagine. More high-end homes in that area. When Bernie built out there, there was maybe one or two other neighbors.

View Profile of NorthEnder Send a personal message to NorthEnder      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-09 8:16 pm   Permalink

We need more Bernie!!!
Thanks for getting back to us.
I'm thinking next week for Windward?

Hey all Columbus tiki nutz we may meet at Windward Passage on Sat the 16th?
Let me know what you think.

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-09 9:13 pm   Permalink

I'm in skip!

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-10 05:45 am   Permalink

All right happy Buddha!
I will see what other folks around town would like to come.
We are like 7 mins from the Windward so we go often.
I'm thinkin around 7:00 on Sat 16th meet at the bar me in green hat.

NorthEnder

Posted: 2014-05-11 06:29 am   Permalink

I'll see if I can make it--7:00.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-11 08:00 am   Permalink

Hope to see you there!
As I said we live close by so very easy for us.
Other people at Windward often hear us talking and chime in and
that is fun and informative.
Once you get to know the regulars at Windward t's a whole new fun place.
AND no smoke in the place now.

All others are welcome too.
I always have some lights in the car to show at Windward, will bring a Kahiki light
for show and tell.

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-12 10:43 am   Permalink

I'll be in Palm Springs!

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-12 7:15 pm   Permalink

Wow, blue sad face and your going to Palm Springs!

I will take notes for you.

AND... anybody who wants to join us it will be 7:00 Sat May the 17th we will
meet in the Windward Passage bar.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation