FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Waitoma Grotto - Holly, MI
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Waitoma Grotto - Holly, MI
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-01 5:35 pm   Permalink

Welcome to Holly Gardens Rehab Centre, formerly Hawaiian Gardens! Tai'd on one too many Mai Tai's? Experiencing Rumaki Remorse? You've come to the right place!

Looks like the scavengers got here first - parts of the facade where one would expect a tiki to be seemed to have been ripped right off.

Come in and stay a while in our luxury motel! We have all the amenities - plywood windows, natural 'frost-ee' air conditioning, and more!

The Grande Room features it's own eames-esque orange ashtray, and a view of the 'sno-kapped' geodesic dome!

Mind you, if you want to stay, you have to follow a few simple rules...

From our luxury jet age styled waiting room, you can see out across beautiful lake Mauna Loa! (not pictured).

All jocularity aside - this is the photo that makes you wanna cry - you can tell by looking at this one just how SCHVANK this joint must have been in it's heyday.

Thanks to Sabu and BigBro for the Additional info, and thanks to my husband's grandparents for driving me there to make this moment of urban archaeology possible.

A bientot,

The intrepid tikifish

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-01 7:39 pm   Permalink

Oh yeah - it is for sale, if any of you are interested!

The lake it lies on really is called 'lake mauna loa' though it is more of an overgrown pond... and just down the stret is the hawaiian gardens trailer park! (the sign has unfortunately been 'updated' so I didnt bother with a picture).

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-02 12:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks for doing all that legwork, Tikifish! It's fascinating to see pictures of what's left. It looks like they kept that A-frame entrance but gave it a faux-Danish makeover at one time. I bet the removed the Moais at that time. And I was wondering about that "Lake" that you could see through one of the restaurant windows in the postcard. Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

I'm still surprised that there's not a lot more anecdotal information on such a large restaurant complex like that.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-02 1:43 pm   Permalink

Wow, gosh...truly informative and entertaining. Thanks to tikifish, Sabu, bigbro...and all the little people that made this topic possible.

This shoulda been a PBS special. "The Rise and Fall of..."

Excellent reading!
midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-02 10:26 pm   Permalink

I feel privileged to have witnessed this entire project unfold...amazing research and archaeological work! Wow!! From menu to documentation to photographed remains in only a short amount of time...excellent job to all those involved!!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Reever
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-12-05 5:28 pm   Permalink

MAN! I was just thrilled to be having a drink in Tiki style with my wife, sister-in-law and brother-in-law in the lovely Chin's (http://www.tikifish.com/chins.html) on the way to the airport, thankful to Fishy for the great tip...

and now I discover she just stashed me away so that she could be the first to make new Michigan Tiki finds????

Just, kiddin, kid. Thanks so much for a great time at Chin's. I'll post my pics soon. Pretty soon, you'll have a great string of Tiki reststops for those of us who have to visit friends and family in Michigan over the holidays!

By the way, she's right about Frankenmuth. That entire town is one entire themepark, part North Pole, part Disney-style Bavaria. It's a hoot. Check it out.

View Profile of Reever Send a personal message to Reever  Goto the website of Reever     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-05 5:59 pm   Permalink

An amazing story. Well done to all involved!
I'd like to think that with the current atmosphere, these sad tales will become the rarity rather than the norm. Fingers crossed.

I can't help but think though that any Tiki Centralite with a rum problem might find that this isn't the best place to cure their addiction.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-05 6:45 pm   Permalink

Im amazed. I thought it was cool when the Fish found that obscure Tiki bar with the mexitiki flavor, but, this lost paradise is so Zazz. I imagine TikiFish trudging thru the frozen North in her Eskimo gear looking for her own "Lost Horizon". Only to find the tropical shangrila had turned into a shaby rehab(irony). Great assist from Sabu, great graphics. One of my favorite posts of all time.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-06 06:45 am   Permalink

Alnshely, that pretty much describes my life in my spare time ha ha!

If I'm not hunting the elusive northern tiki bar in my parka, Im taking photos of the streetmattresses hoping my camera doesnt freeze to my face.

When I was taking pics of Hawaiian Gardens, I turned around and lo and behold, a stack of 20 mattresses was by the shed out back. 2 hobbies, one stone. It was a great day for the tikifish.

tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 9:45 pm   Permalink

bump

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-25 12:56 am   Permalink

Wow... thanks for the bump... great tale from start to finish and great work by all researchers!

I may have to see if anything remains as the wife and I will be out to the Christmas party at Chin's on December 4th...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-25 07:40 am   Permalink

Ideed, a shining example of urban archeology!
Amazing how close you were in time, a little earlier, and Jane might have stumbled into the auction of the remains...

Sabu and Jane, will you allow me to publish this? I always felt I did not have enough before-and-after pics in the BOT, I should put this at the end of my Polynesian Pop recap chapter in the Witco book.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-25 1:18 pm   Permalink

Sure - I think those are the actual size of the shots though, so not very good resolution for publishing. 640 x 480 I think?

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-25 7:22 pm   Permalink

No prob, Bigbro.

I can get you higher-resolution scans of the original postcards if you like, PLUS, I've since acquired a new postcard from this place, PLUS, I've got the dinner plate with the maori-style he-tiki on the rim

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-25 7:35 pm   Permalink

I may be able to dig out a photo from its German-themed motel days. Mid 90's if I'm thinking of the right place.
-FB

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation