FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Waitoma Grotto - Holly, MI
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Waitoma Grotto - Holly, MI
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-10 10:25 am   Permalink

Hello all I just wanted to chime in on the swizzle and matchbook. The Maori swizzle stick is a very cool deign but it is not unique to that location it’s a stock stick I have a couple of other locations on the same design.
The matchbook art is a great example of appropriating images from another establishment, in this case the original matchbook was from Hawaiian Village of Tampa, who by the way “borrowed” their amazing swizzle stick design from the Hilton Hawaiian Village logo.

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-10 2:01 pm   Permalink

Here's a side by side of both matchbooks just for fun. Both made by Universal Match, one from Universal Detroit and one from Universal Tampa. So which came first Detroit or Tampa ?

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-10 2:37 pm   Permalink

I’ll go out on a limb and say that Tampa HV is the original matchbook, I don’t know much about mid century Florida tourism but if postcards are any indication it must have been a big attraction. It looks like they had a big budget the swizzle was made exclusively for them usually a good gauge of how successful a business was or wanted to be perceived as. Their matchbook has the better art, the poles flanking the hula girl are embossed with the gold foil treatment, the girl is a better drawing, etc…
I also have one around here (someplace) that looks more similar to the Hawaiian Gardens from the Hula Hut.

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-10 5:15 pm   Permalink

I have to agree with Bosko, the Hawaiian Village matchbook is the original and the Hawaiian Gardens is the knock-off. Speaking of that, here is another not-quite-so-good copy-cat of the Hawaiian Village matchbook from the South Pacific Restaurant in Arlington Virginia.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-11 05:01 am   Permalink

Good stuff guys. It must be that Universal Match latched on to the design and started pumping it out for other establishments in a slightly altered fashion. The same drink menu graphics were also freely used from place to place also many dinner menu graphics. I just noticed that the South Pacific matchbook was made by McGregor & Warner Match Co. so we have another company hijacking the design also.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-01-11 05:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-01-11 05:08 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-11 08:06 am   Permalink

Love those side-by-side comparisons. The Michigan matchbook designer obviously did not have any clue, the Tikis on top of the pole have mustaches...or his favorite cocktail came in the Dr. Funk mug.

I always resisted using this style of matches in my books, because even for my taste that gold foil seemed -dare I say it?- too tacky and un-Polynesian.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-11 10:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-10 14:37, TIKIBOSKO wrote:
I also have one around here (someplace) that looks more similar to the Hawaiian Gardens from the Hula Hut.

Bosko

Bosko,

It would be great to see a comparison to that matchbook from the Hula Hut if you can find it. Thanks,

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-21 2:35 pm   Permalink

Hey DC I still haven't located it but there is yet another example of the same cover on pg 3 of the matchbook thread, take a look.

Bosko

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-21 5:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-10 17:15, Dustycajun wrote:

Another copycat from the recent matchbook thread that was posted by Zeta as pointed out by Bosko.

I wonder how many different ones of these are out there?

DC

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-26 11:18 am   Permalink

Caramba! The copy of the copy of the copy... As we all know, that's an important part of Tiki, (and life in general) the real thing and the Pop version.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 12:12 pm   Permalink

Just found these pics in the Wayne State University collection.

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 3:31 pm   Permalink

Great stuff!! Keep up the good work.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-14 11:45 pm   Permalink

Yes, thanks for the photos, I find this place fascinating. It seems to incapsulate the spirit of the independent business trying its damndest to capture the allure of the big guns that were hotel-sponsored. The interiors are underwhelming, but all the material found on this venture shows how much the proprietors were into the theme, and how they put 100% into creating THEIR version of Polynesia Americana.

I wish I had the time and means to move to this little town and completely research the rise and final sad fate of this Tiki temple, it would be a great metaphor for America in the 20th century.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-15 09:10 am   Permalink

I happen to have a sister who lives there and is a city council member. I'll see if she's interesting in doing some sleuthing. What would help?

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-15 10:53 am   Permalink

Pictures, stories of the old days, anything really. I have had good luck at my local history room at my local library. The local historical society may be of help as the local newspaper archives. All of these places maybe able to dig up some info. With your sister being local and in city government she would be in a great position for some Tiki detective work.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation