FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Waitoma Grotto - Holly, MI
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Waitoma Grotto - Holly, MI
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-17 10:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-17 03:07, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
You know the buttons to nudge people, don't you Sven? I agree that knowledge of your book might help loosen some people up. The residents of Holly are quite proud of their little burg.

It is not so much about buttons, but about giving the request for material some legitimacy in a town that, I would assume, has not become aware of any form of the Tiki revival yet. The fact that Jan is a member of the city council will certainly help, but you have no idea how folks involved in the mid-century Tiki culture reacted to my inquiries when I started researching it in the early 90s. They had experienced the "fall from grace" of their businesses, and gone on with their lives, onto something completely different most of the time. So for somebody to probe their Tiki past was just plain weird, or even suspicious to them. The be able to prove to them that this period is book-worthy now often changes that attitude.

Nice air archeology, Trav, those are the sad facts of Tiki devolution.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-03-17 10:06 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-17 12:28 pm   Permalink

This has turned out to be a very informative and in depth thread. Very nice research from Bongo, Bigbro and Trav.

Here are a couple of postcards I have of the interior hotel rooms at the Hawaiian Gardens. You can see the custom bamboo furniture that was referenced by Bongo's sister earlier. Same kind of home made Hawaiian look to the rooms.

Here is the back of the card with a reference to the views of "Lake Oahu".

Fun stuff.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-18 12:38 pm   Permalink

Great cards Dusty. I was hoping you would have something out of your treasure stash. Thanks for posting those. I was looking back at all of the images in the post a noticed some thing curious ( to me anyway ).The first image is a photo that Chub came up with which shows a canoe on what looks to be the roof of one of the buildings.

Then in Sabu's post I noticed that the canoe is over the entry way attached to an outrigger feature. Looks to be either another canoe or it was moved at some point. Sabu's card of the exterior may not show the whole complex as I think this maybe a building out of frame from that card. Just got curious. Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-03-18 17:30 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-18 12:45 pm   Permalink

Bigbro is that a drawing of the Hawaiian Gardens complex on the back of the menu? If so could you post a blown up image we could take a look at? Thanks.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-19 08:03 am   Permalink

Jan say's she found out that after changing hands, the Hawaiian Gardens became Vladimir's. Just a little looking around and I see there's a banquet hall in Farmington Hills, same part of the state, called Vladimir's, so perhaps they were conected? edit: yep, the very same

[ This Message was edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2009-03-20 13:11 ]

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 1:15 pm   Permalink

Jan's prodding (instigated by TC's prodding)has got something started:

"Well, you have made one newspaper reporter and one newspaper editor very excited by your inquiry. They are going to do a story on Hawaiian Gardens. This means I can sit back and let them do all the research. They've already found an exact time line of when it was built, when it changed hands, etc. They are trying to locate the daughter, Ms Soloko, as we speak. I will, of course, send you a link to the article once it is published. It will be online with a service called "MLive", and will appear in the Fenton Press, a local paper owned by the Flint Journal."

I've told Jan we want pictures... let's see what developes.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 1:25 pm   Permalink

OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!!!! Tell Jan she is doing an amazing job Bongo. Great to have an agent in the field. Good to hear the local paper is doing the story. Maybe some folks will come forward with some stories. Damn I sure love this stuff.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 2:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-18 12:45, uncle trav wrote:
Bigbro is that a drawing of the Hawaiian Gardens complex on the back of the menu? If so could you post a blown up image we could take a look at? Thanks.

Trav, I was talking about this matchbook cover:

....which is owned by ukutiki.

Yes, Bongo, tell Jan thanks, and we will see what those newsboys come up with. Hopefully they will use some of my Book(s) to approach the subject with the basic knowledge of its pervasiveness.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 3:04 pm   Permalink

Yes, Sven, I have referred Jan to your work. And I will see her next weekend and wow her with copies of Tiki Modern, Beachbum Berry's books and Jay's Tiki Mug book.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 4:51 pm   Permalink

Wow! That's a concentrated Tiki package! --She will become one of OURS, har har! And then influence the City Council! And they will all become Tikiphiles and resurrect HAWAIIAN GARDENS!

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-21 07:28 am   Permalink

Thought I'd blow up ukutiki's matchbook rendering a little. The canoe above the entrance can be seen in the rendering. Bongo ask Jan if the newspaper boys will have extra photos. Normally they find a few but only add one or two to the article. She maybe able to get some copies you can post on the thread. And watch out she may get the Tiki bug. I gave a friend of mine a mug a couple of years ago and told him I was not responsible for what may happen. He now has a boat load of mugs and a home bar.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-03-21 07:30 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-21 08:46 am   Permalink

Trav,

Hope your sister comes up with some good stuff. Here is a blow-up of the rendering on the brochure.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-21 10:43 am   Permalink

Great image Dusty. Jan is Bongo's sister. But then again everyone is family here on TC.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-28 05:37 am   Permalink

Any news from the front?

jpalarchio

Posted: 2009-03-29 05:38 am   Permalink

Having moved to Holly about 9 years ago, I've been following this thread for a while.

Here's the newspaper article:
http://www.mlive.com/fenton/index.ssf/2009/03/hawaiin_gardens_resort_put_hol.html

The print version had a couple pictures, looked like postcards possibly.

Pretty nice article by the author.

[ This Message was edited by: jpalarchio 2009-03-29 05:44 ]

View Profile of jpalarchio Send a personal message to jpalarchio      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation