FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Well THAT would kinda suck !: Vic's Beverly Hills a goner?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Well THAT would kinda suck !: Vic's Beverly Hills a goner?
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-10 3:21 pm   Permalink

Actually he told us on Sat. that he'd been there since 71.
I said Damn Ben that's when I was born. That guys a monster.
I had been there awhile back( 5 or 6 years). I don't know what I had, but wasn't impressed. On Sat. My buddy Baja Marty, and Ran(Kick the Reverb) went there right at opening before it got too busy, and Before are trip up to Burbank tosee Nokie Edwards(of the Ventures).
I got a Zombie( of course) Ran Got a Navy Grog(old style) recomended by Judd.
and Marty got a Mai Tai. All were great. Ran was driving so he said no more. Marty and I shared a Navy Grog after being blown away by a taste of Ran's. Then I wnet to the bathroom almost fell down(joking of course). And had the bright Idea to get a big 4 person drink. So I ordered a Rum Keg. Very Fruity, but still had a good kick to it. I twisted Ran's arm just a bit to try some. He did, but just a bit.
Then Marty and I shared the rest of the 4 person drink. Can you say God Damn!!!!?
I wasn't fall down drunk, but that was a very nice buzz. and early enough in the evening, that I didn't have a hangover the next morning.
We didn't eat there, cept for the spicy snack mix at the bar.But I want to.
How goes the average dinner menu there, price wise?
I was very very impressed this trip to Traitor Vics, and if it's going to be history, that is truely a crime.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Quote:

On 2006-03-31 20:21, hiltiki wrote:
Ben the bartender has been there since 1974. It's my hangout.....

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2006-04-10 15:21 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hanalei_Pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 12:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]Last I knew, Rod's was endangered by the city of Arcadia which has already filed eminent domain against one of its neighbors in an effort to allow for expansion of a Mercedes dealership: http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=132849 and http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_3591421
There have been some protests, but I don't know the current state of their effectiveness.

One needs to see if the city of Beverly Hills has any protections for historic structures and if we can even get it nominated as historic in that city. If not, the next best thing (as someone here has already suggested) is a media campaign involving some celebs to step up, and perhaps the LA Conservancy offering them an alternative condo development plan for the site that includes saving the Trader Vics. I am sure all of these aspects have already been thought of as I am a little late to this one. I assume the LA Conservancy is also on top of this, so let me thank you all for allowing me to waste some more TC webspace!

[ This Message was edited by: Hanalei_Pirate 2006-04-12 12:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Hanalei_Pirate 2006-04-12 12:43 ]

View Profile of Hanalei_Pirate Send a personal message to Hanalei_Pirate  Goto the website of Hanalei_Pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 7:29 pm   Permalink

OK I went saturday and I could find no sign of artifacts leaving tucked under collectors' arms. I sure would love to get one of those brown moai tiki bowls...but they were hoppin. Does anyone have a contact at TV headquarters who can get it straight from the horses mouth. I mean, it would seem to me that Hilton could build the tower and either leave Vic's on the first floor or re-open the same spot in the new building to Vic's.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hanalei_Pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 5:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-12 19:29, Digitiki wrote:
I mean, it would seem to me that Hilton could build the tower and either leave Vic's on the first floor or re-open the same spot in the new building to Vic's.

I agree, I don't see any necessity for tearing it down which means we should be able to accomplish this with a certain about of pressure (via either celebs, publicity, of th LA Conservancy etc). Probably best to check on the news over at Whole Lotta Living at this point. I think the link is somewhere in this thread.

View Profile of Hanalei_Pirate Send a personal message to Hanalei_Pirate  Goto the website of Hanalei_Pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
michaeljlambert

Posted: 2006-04-17 2:37 pm   Permalink

Does anyone have contact info for developer? I have a brilliant idea to save Trader Vic's. Thanks.

View Profile of michaeljlambert Send a personal message to michaeljlambert  Email michaeljlambert Goto the website of michaeljlambert     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-17 11:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-17 14:37, michaeljlambert wrote:
Does anyone have contact info for developer? I have a brilliant idea to save Trader Vic's. Thanks.

I don't, but for sure Trader Vics or the BeverlyHills Hotel corporate offices do, although the receptionist may not exactly hand it over.

I am very interested in your idea. What is it?

It probably is more constructive than mine - demolition on the property as a warning.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-19 7:48 pm   Permalink

Here's a picture of the place back in the day (postcard).

The text on the back of the card references the location as new to Beverly Hills, so I assume this shot was taken as a promo when the place had just opened.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-19 10:41 pm   Permalink

Nice photo, As nice as it is now, it was better then.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 11:40 am   Permalink

I have an idea. Why don't we draft a letter to TV's corporate headquarters and the Hilton's HQ from all of us at Tiki Central, just letting them know diplomatically that there is a large community of patrons out here and our desires to see the icon continue to operate. You know, somthing professional, tasteful, diplomatic--like those "letters to the president" kind of things. It will most likely not change anything, but might plant a seed the the minds of those at the top. Just a thought.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 12:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

It will most likely not change anything, but might plant a seed the the minds of those at the top. Just a thought.

..I think the minds at the top are well aware of the tiki resurgence over the past few years....but until that translates into some hardcore dollers and cents for them, they could care less....no matter how many of us there are...it's not going to be enough to do squat..."when money talks, tiki enthusiasts take a walk" -and not down preservation lane either...after all, wasn't that the lesson of Kahiki vs. walgreen's??

don't mean to be a bummer and of course, any effort is a noble one...but these are businesses folks, designed for no other purpose than to make money....and when they stop makin the money needed to justify keeping the doors open, it's time to say good-bye. sure, it's not fair and it sucks for us as well as future generations that may not have any original tiki places around to enjoy, but good or bad, right or wrong that's just the way it is...you can only fight money with money...and unless any of us have lot's of it and are willing to buy these places ourselves we're kinda screwed..... it's best to support our existing and newer tiki establishments as best we can, cause we will be continuing to lose more of them to the wrecking ball sooner or later.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 12:59 pm   Permalink

Too bad Bill Gates is not a TC member.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 2:54 pm   Permalink

Well, Tipys I partially agree with your statement. It is all about money and corporate discisions. But, people don't generally know how big the tiki movement or tiki establishment (whatever you want to call it) is out there. I, for one, am having to explain to people what tiki is on a daily basis - literally. And there ARE shining examples, admittedly rare, in LA and other metropolitan cities of hostoric buildings and locations that are saved. True, most of the business are no longer occupying those places, but the buildings are saved. The the thing is different with Trader Vic's. They are business that is currently seeing a rise in their popularity - as evidenced by the opening of new locations. And, I don't know about anyone else, but the LA location is booming every time I go there. And tiki people do vote by patronizing those business - and very loyally I might ad.

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 8:39 pm   Permalink

..by all means, continue to support it...I'm sure all of us do, when and if we get the chance to get out there....and yes, many buildings do get saved as architectural examples..i was a member of the society for commercial archeology for a few years back in the mid-late 90's (I reccommend anyone interested in preserving our roadside culture to get involved with it).....we saved alot of cool shit!! including some route 66 icons...and yet, there was plenty of cool stuff we watched go down in flames too for the same reasons -money and politics. unfortunately, trader's is not a stand-alone building, but part of the entire hotel itself and as such, is tougher to save...it would be like trying to save the palmer house traders by leveling the hotel and keeping the basement where it was located intact....the two are part of the same package and to save one, you must save the other...unfortunately saving an entire hotel is a tall order...especially when big bucks are involved. My point in the early post was simply that, it's important to recognize oblectively those battles that can be won and those that can't without fooling ourselves into thinking otherwise and spending alot of time and effort on a losing battle as opposed to applying that same energy to concrete things that we CAN accomplish and continue to preserve.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 6:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-20 11:40, Digitiki wrote:
I have an idea. Why don't we draft a letter to TV's corporate headquarters and the Hilton's HQ from all of us at Tiki Central, just letting them know diplomatically that there is a large community of patrons out here and our desires to see the icon continue to operate.

Such could not hurt, and might even be helpful. However, there are much larger forces at work:

The questions (as I see them - and I don't pretend to see everything) are:

1. Is it worth more to the developer to demolish TV BH (and pay TV BH the $$$ penalty for breaking the lease) in order to build very expensive condos?

(The answer must be "yes," otherwise the developer would not have purchased the property.)

2. Can socio-political pressure or the BH zoning board require the developer to change the architectural plans to maintain Trader Vic's?

(I hope so)

3. If required to move, will the annual income for TV BH for the past years, which is a strong indicator on next year's expected profits, encourage TV to relocate in LA?

(Yes. From my personal research, TV BH is raking it in - The bar is usually crowded, sometimes mobbed on the weekends- and selling liquor is pure profit. Their expensive entrees are also priced to generate a considerable profit.)

4. Will the cost of constructing a new location, and the cost of a long-term lease agreement in LA, be such that TV can still make a profit?

(While I have no idea how much it costs to construct, remodel or open a a restaurant, new restaurants open every week in this town. Alsoi, LA is a huge market, with many 20-40 year-old singles to hang at the bar and many well-healed patrons to purchase entrees from the expensive menu. Therefore, the answer has to be yes.)

5. Will the next location adversely impact the profits because (a) it will not be at such an incredibly busy intersection and (b) it will be in a new location, whereas the current location has existed for approx 50 years?

(I don't know. However, I think this is where such a letter would be useful - show TV owenership that there are loyal fans who will eagerly re-appear at the next location.)

6. Are the owners game for giving it a try?

(Yes. TV appears to be in an agressive expansion mode, with new locations opening in Emmeryville/Oakland, San Francisco, Scottsdale and Vegas all within the last several years.)

To me, TV BH will remerge, based on these elements.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2006-04-21 18:27 ]

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 6:29 pm   Permalink

..well......shit.........praise the lord and pass the mai tais!!!!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation