FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Well THAT would kinda suck !: Vic's Beverly Hills a goner?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Well THAT would kinda suck !: Vic's Beverly Hills a goner?
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-03 9:50 pm   Permalink

Any Updates in this?
I heard from a friend, thru 3 other people that they started demolition on the BH Trader Vics.
Is it true?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2006-07-04 11:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2006-07-04 12:00 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-03 10:02 pm   Permalink

No, I was there Thursday night and nothing is going on. The Navy Grogs are still the best....

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-04 06:53 am   Permalink

I was there about a week ago with a buddy, had a couple of Zombies and a nice snack...

......I love that place! I wish I could go there every day.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-04 10:26 am   Permalink

I spoke to someone at TV online store. They said it would be about 1-2 years before it happens but it will happen, as that is the plan.....

Sad.....

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-04 11:58 am   Permalink

Thanks for the Info. I've been there for drinks about 5 times. But never for diner. I want to go do the whole experience sometime, but thought I had missed my chance.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-07-29 8:19 pm   Permalink

The last post I read (25 days ago) Trader Vic's Beverly Hills was not closed. Does anyone really know what is going on? It sounds like rumor at this point? either way my B.D. is this week & I'm eating there as I do every birthday. Wanna go? haha.........

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-01 04:18 am   Permalink

Was out on the West Coast recently and had the chance to stop in at the Beverly Hills venue on July 28th, 2006. While I was snapping photos, one of the employees chatted me up a little bit. He'd been there *only* about 20 years or so, and indicated there were people on staff who'd been working 30+ years at the same location.

He was a bit reticent to talk about the upcoming changes, but eventually did reveal a bit of info. Apparently it's true that there will be condos built on the site, but there's no end date that's been made official yet. A plethora of studies still have to be done (environmental impact, traffic impact, etc.) which seem like they could hold up the restaurant's demise for a spell. There has been some disapproval from locals who enjoy the place as well - he talked a bit about how people had been brought there as kids, and how they were now bringing their kids and grandkids as well. That leads me to believe there could be some forces lined up against the "development" of the area.

Apparently there will be a new restaurant on site, but it will not be Trader Vic's. The employees have been offered employment in the new restaurant, although again there still seems to be no set date as to when that changeover might happen. I asked if maybe (as in Chicago) the Trader Vic's company would possibly relocate the restaurant to a new location. He said it was possible, but he hadn't heard anything about it.

The Beverly Hills location has been open 51 years according to the gent I spoke with. Go while you can!

~Rupe

[ This Message was edited by: rupe33 2006-08-01 04:20 ]

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zombiepops
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-01 07:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-01 04:18, rupe33 wrote:

He was a bit reticent to talk about the upcoming changes, but eventually did reveal a bit of info. Apparently it's true that there will be condos built on the site, but there's no end date that's been made official yet. A plethora of studies still have to be done (environmental impact, traffic impact, etc.) which seem like they could hold up the restaurant's demise for a spell. There has been some disapproval from locals who enjoy the place as well - he talked a bit about how people had been brought there as kids, and how they were now bringing their kids and grandkids as well. That leads me to believe there could be some forces lined up against the "development" of the area.

The Beverly Hills location has been open 51 years according to the gent I spoke with. Go while you can!

~Rupe

[ This Message was edited by: rupe33 2006-08-01 04:20 ]

I hope it lasts a least a few more weeks.. Trader Vic's is on my must visit list for when I fly out to L.A. in a few weeks... I'm really sad to hear its closing..

-- Zombiepops

View Profile of zombiepops Send a personal message to zombiepops      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-05 02:56 am   Permalink

Trader Vic's is a done deal.
See this site
http://www.preservela.com/archives/2006_03.html

quote: "March 30, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trader Vic's Threatened
We've been hearing rumours and bits and pieces of this news for a couple years - It's now become official. A local developer is planning to demolish Trader Vic's, along with the Beverly Hills Hilton's executive conference center, Oasis Court, and the 514-space parking garage. The recently remodeled landmark 1950s hotel would remain.

"The owner of the Beverly Hilton is planning to bulldoze parts the famed hotel to make way for luxury residences, according to a report obtained by the Business Journal."

"Packard Bell co-founder Beny Alagem, who paid $130 million for the 569-room hotel two years ago from entertainment mogul Merv Griffin, wants to knock-down Trader Vic’s Restaurant and Bar, the executive conference center, the Oasis Court and the hotel’s 514-space parking garage."

"On those sites Alagem would build two 13-story buildings containing 96 condominiums, a 104-unit, 15-story condo hotel and 96 hotel rooms in two 3-story structures. The hotel’s parking would be put underground and increased to 1,422 spaces, to meet Beverly Hills’ codes."

"Though the main 353-room, 8-story tower designed by noted architect Welton Beckett would remain, the plans would result in a net reduction of 96 hotel rooms."

Full story from the L.A. Business Journal: Residences Planned for Beverly Hilton

Thanks to LAObserved.com for the reference.
==============================================================================================================
LETS JUST BUY IT! & MOVE IT!!!!!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-15 08:02 am   Permalink

Whatever happened with this? Previous threads indicated efforts. Is there anything that can be done to reverse this decision?

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-15 7:00 pm   Permalink

The property has been sold to the new developer. That part is pretty certain. But according to Bruce Beckett (the son of the original architect, Welton Beckett) he told me that the developer will still need to get his plans approved by the city of Beverly Hills and that Bruce would be watching the proceedings carefully. Bruce is also an architect in West LA and doesn't care much for the new plan for the Hilton Hotel that Trader Vic's is attached to. With parking space for 3 times as many cars, he's very concerned what that would do to the already-heavy traffic congestion in the area.

I wish you all could see the 1950s photos of the original decor of both the hotel and TV's that I got to view in Bruce's archives. They were stunning. I also seem to remember early photos of TV's that show the dining area being more open than it is now.

If anyone on here really wants to get involved with any Modern/Tiki preservation efforts, this is the place to go:
http://www.modcom.org/

Also, if there are any preservation efforts in gear, the LA Conservancy would know: 213-623-CITY (2489)
(The Modern Committee is a subcommittee of the LA Conservancy.)
A lot of times there just aren't enough people to tackle all the efforts they want to go after. So if you know of anyone willing to devote a lot of time and energy to organize such an effort, please contact the LAC. It's a lot of work, but I have seen ordinary individuals that have made quite a difference in whether something stays or goes. The last I heard is that they were trying to get historical status for the entire hotel. But that was a few months ago.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-15 7:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks Vintage Girl!

Can't make it down to SO CA that day from the Bay Area. When I have a bit more time I'll peruse the sight deeper to see if we can write in attendance.

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-17 11:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-15 19:00, vintagegirl wrote:

But according to Bruce Beckett (the son of the original architect, Welton Beckett) he told me that the developer will still need to get his plans approved by the city of Beverly Hills and that Bruce would be watching the proceedings carefully. Bruce is also an architect in West LA and doesn't care much for the new plan for the Hilton Hotel that Trader Vic's is attached to.

Thanks for the hopeful news, Vintage Girl.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lynxwiler
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-13 11:55 am   Permalink

The city of Beverly Hills has just released a Notice of Intent to Prepare an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the proposed mixed use development at 9876 Wilshire Boulevard (The Beverly Hilton Oasis).

A public scoping meeting will be held Monday, Sept 18th, 2006 at the Public Library Auditorium, Second Floor, 444 North Rexford Drive, Beverly Hills, CA. Time: 6:30 to 8:30pm

The notice states that with the exception of the 8-story main hotel tower, all buildings surround the hotel will be demolished to accommodate “luxury” condominiums and “luxury” hotel/condominiums suites. The public meeting will outline the proposed development and the public will be given a chance to voice their opinions on the matter.

The city also invites written comments which should be mailed as soon as possible and at least no later that October 11 when the EIR begins. You may write to:

City of Beverly Hills
Department of Community Development
455 North Rexford Drive, Room G-40
Beverly Hills, California 90210
attn: Donna Jerex, Senior Planner

emails may also be sent to:
HiltonHotelComments@beverlyhills.org

So start writing your letters!

View Profile of lynxwiler Send a personal message to lynxwiler      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Woo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-20 09:08 am   Permalink

What's today's status for Vic's in Beverly Hills? I'm hearing it's going to close at the end of the year.

View Profile of Tiki Woo Send a personal message to Tiki Woo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation