FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving this is it . . .
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
this is it . . .
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-04 1:21 pm   Permalink

Good luck! Get yourself a set of plain old Stanley flat chisels to get started with...at any hardware store and about 12.00 for 3. Then as you learn what the basic stuff can do you will know better what different shapes accomplish as well.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 8:04 pm   Permalink

heh, i already have a set of chisels. i bought them with a plan for that cherry plank i offered you. they're from harbour freight. when i can, i'll get a good set. need to stop buying mugs first. i did pick up a good draw knife and a pretty decent 1 1/2" chisel.

little update. he's naked now. my ass hurts from sitting on a log. any ideas or crits are more than welcome.

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2006-02-07 20:04 ]

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 8:48 pm   Permalink

wow, i started drawing and it just started coming out.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 10:01 pm   Permalink

i could use a little help here. how do i smooth out the cuts in palm? die grinder?

how do i keep it from running?

mahalo

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 7:25 pm   Permalink

well, i'm going to bump this up one more time for help.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-20 8:29 pm   Permalink

well, finally picked up some deceent tools. makes a big, big difference.

any advice or thoughts?

thanks!

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-20 8:49 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:32 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tfisherart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 02:24 am   Permalink

P, I use a 4.5" angle grinder with some gravel like discs one disc is 24 grit don't push to hard into the wood till you get used to it, it will bite you or the wood. Grinders are cheap, may want to start with 60,100 or 120 grit discs till you feel comfortable (WARNING) I take the sheild off, this is bad advice but it gives me better clearence.
Hope this helps.
Good luck,

http://www.thomsart.com

View Profile of tfisherart Send a personal message to tfisherart  Email tfisherart Goto the website of tfisherart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 1:02 pm   Permalink

How are you doing on this? Seems like you got a lot of advice from some great people.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 1:27 pm   Permalink

Pdrake, looks good. Smoothing the cuts?, Make them into V cuts with a sharp bottom and there is nothing to smooth out. Keep up the good work.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 2:20 pm   Permalink

it's coming along really well. now that i have some tools i can't wait for some sun.

i really appreciate the help.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 5:45 pm   Permalink

any advice is really appreciated.

i feel like i'm just flying by the seat of my pants.

mahalo

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 6:32 pm   Permalink

more carving . . .

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-27 8:20 pm   Permalink

whoa!!! that mouth is CRAZY! totally cool!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-27 11:25 pm   Permalink

thanks so much for the feedback. i'm afraid i'm going too deep, or not deep enough. there's no one here in vegas to give me any direction, only some guy stealing jungle trader's pics.

i want to be original and have my stuff appreciated locally. it's been a struggle doing this all by myself.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation