FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-20 12:04 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone! I know the piece was to small for the frame, but it was put together very quickly for a cancer benefit that my wife's office is involved with. I had to get it finished in time for a raffle.

Here is the new piece I'm working on. It's going to have 3 different figures in it and will be another one of the wall plaques I've been doing, except this one will turn out to be pretty big when I'm finished. The figure is about 1.5" X 9", but the whole plaque will be around 8" X 18" when it's all done.

When it is finally done, my neighbor is going to make about 20 or 25 resin copies for me so I can make a bunch of wall hangings for you folks. They'll be priced to sell so that I will have money to take to Hukilau!

Here is part one. I'll be rounding out the face some so it's not so square, but you get the idea.

Thanks for looking!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-20 6:16 pm   Permalink

Thats a great start. I kinda like the squareness of it. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-21 2:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-20 18:16, AlohaStation wrote:
Thats a great start. I kinda like the squareness of it. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks Aloha! Yeah, he's kinda growing on me too. I'm thinking he looks like Easter Island's football coach. Oh, well.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 07:30 am   Permalink

I didn't know they had a Football team, but thatz rite, looks just like their coach. Lookin good Finky!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 08:46 am   Permalink

Finky,

Where are the bonz? I know you are working on them.....

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 06:37 am   Permalink

nice NICE work there. really like him. good job and lookin forward to more pics.

good work

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 09:18 am   Permalink

Ben, What, you haven't heard of the Rapa Nui Mad Moai?! They're expected to go far in the Polynesian Playoffs this year. They say their offensive line is as strong as stone. (Sorry, I know that was lame. )

Gman, No bones yet, but I have some ideas floating around that will happen soon I hope. I'll be asking you for help I'm sure.

Duddy, Thanks! None of this would happen without you folks and your kind words and support.

Mahalo to all!

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 4:38 pm   Permalink

Here's the next stage. A ton of sanding to do yet, I know, so do dig on me about the detail .

And here's a picture of me holding my tiki. OK, I'm kidding. It's actually Tiki Duddy. OK, I'm kidding again. It's really my son Brendan who had his first day of kindergaren today! Just kidding Duddy, I'm just still amazed that you're so skilled at your age!

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy 2006-08-23 19:11 ]

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 4:47 pm   Permalink

Finky,

Hey, that looks a little rough.....just kidding Nothing a little 150 and 220 won't fix in a jiffy! I really like what you have going on with this carve. The marq in the middle looks fab. Do you have an idea of who is gonna be holding them all up (on the bottom)? Hurry up, I wanna see this one completed!

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 4:55 pm   Permalink

I've just read this thread (again!) and was sure I'd replied previously, but I hadn't. So I am now - to say your stuff is awesome. Great pendants, full of character and humour, and the framed pieces are very nice too.
The classic Marquesan pole style head in your tiki totem - is there a particular vintage piece that this is based on? I've seen a few cool interpretations of this design from different carvers here and I love it.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 5:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks Gman, of course you would be the guy to point out my rough edges! No idea whose on the bottom yet, I'll have to look around a bit for some ideas.

Wow, Paipo, such kind words. Thanks! I suppose the Marquesan is based on one I saw in the Icons version of the BOT (pg 54), but I'm not good enough to make stuff look like the picture, so I've settled on my clunky version.

Mahalo!

Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 6:04 pm   Permalink

man does that look good. once the last head is carved it will be amazing....not that it isnt already.

good one with the child joke there hahahaha. well if i started that young i would be a little bit better right now.

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-24 04:16 am   Permalink

Looks great man!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 7:43 pm   Permalink

There's still a lot of touch-up work and sanding left to do, and I'm going to put some tappa cloth designs on the open areas between the faces. I'm going to try and have it all completed by the end of the weekend.

Mahalo!

Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 8:40 pm   Permalink

man does it look good.
great stuff. always look forward to seeing more

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation