FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 9:02 pm   Permalink

very cool Finky....I really like the Marq....like all three of them....you are doing some
really nice work for your age.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 06:50 am   Permalink

finkdaddy, the amount of detail you're able to put in such a small space confuses me. Are you carving these things normal size and then hitting them with a shrink-ray or something? WOW!

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 9:07 pm   Permalink

Hey Fink,

That bottom feller is kinda progressive, aye? What a way to finish out the trilogy. Great stuff. So, any thoughts on how you are going to finish it. Natural? Oiled? stained?....we wanna know! Great job on a tough project. Beautiful carve man!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-09 2:35 pm   Permalink

Ok GMAN, I've finally started on a piece of bone. I thought I would try something simple first before trying one of your increadible Maori pieces, so I'm doing a couple of hooks first.

I need to smooth and polish this one yet, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Can I just use a felt pad on my Dremel, or do I have to add some abrasive powder to it or something?

Here is the last one I was working on. The stain came out a bit blotchy because I hate sanding so very much, but I'm going to make a bunch of resin copies, so the color will still be OK in the end. This will be framed and look similar to the other wall plaques I've done, except maybe a bit cleaner looking.

Thanks all for looking!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-09 5:25 pm   Permalink

YES! I love the morphed styles, very creative. How'd ya come up with that idea?

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-10 01:11 am   Permalink

Thats sweet man

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-10 07:06 am   Permalink

FINKY! Excellent stuff man, you have come a Long way.. The hook looks like it wil be sweet too. Yes, use the abrasive powder on the felt, with out that, the felt will just shine the scratches. I use different grit Fingernail boards from Walgreens. there are some with 100/120 grit and some wit 4 grits that will sand and polish to a bright shine. Check them out.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-10 07:18 am   Permalink

Finkdaddy I love the design of the three-tiki wall piece...that will be very nice when it's
finished....
also...your first bone carving looks great...did you get the bone from GMan?

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-10 07:21 am   Permalink

Finky ROCKS! Nice job on that hook. Listen to Ben...he speakum truth! Now get some more bonz!

-Gman

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-10 07:39 am   Permalink

Surfintiki, Thanks. The Moai was just my own creation. I wish I had done the mouth differently, but he's ok. The Marq was inspired by a pic in the BOT. The Lono was based an a few different pics that a TCer (Grog maybe?) had posted a while back. I just thought it would look cool that's all.

Hewey, thanks mate! It's always nice to hear from you. How's that wagon doing?

Benzart, thanks for the advice. I was thinking of using some 220 grit sandpaper and then using the felt on the dremel with the abrasive powder that I use on my sharpening strop. Do you think that will be sufficient?

Conga, thanks again. I got the bone from a pet store, all the advice and inspiration came from GMAN!

GMAN, you da man! I'm going to polish that up and start a new one today. I love how the bone carves, especially because there is no grain. You can carve in any direction without problems. But man, it does not smell good at all!

Big mahalos to everyone!!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-11 4:25 pm   Permalink

Here it is all finished up. Thanks go out to Benzart and Gman for giving me tips on how to finish this guy. Sorry for the dark photo, my camera just confounds me sometimes.

Mahalo!

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-11 4:30 pm   Permalink

nice!

your stuff rocks!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-11 4:40 pm   Permalink

Thank you Tikiwahine! I can't wait to meet you at the Hukilau!

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-11 4:41 pm   Permalink

owwww, I can't make it this year!

*sigh*

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-11 5:06 pm   Permalink

Finky,

That rules! If you still have my number...please call me tonight!

-Gman

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation