FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-21 2:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Here is a Moai profile I just finished. It's carved from a small piece of bird's eye maple. It's very light but it was hard a steel! It was waaaay easier to carve the bone stuff than it was this.

I didn't use any stain so that the gorgeous grain could stand out.

I got as close as my camera would let me so you could see the grain better.

Thanks for looking. More to come soon!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-21 3:01 pm   Permalink

keep em coming Finkdaddy...getting better all the time...and they were always cool. I
really like the flowing lines of the Moai....you are gonna peddle a lot of your stuff
at Hukilau....wish I could be there to help carry the money back.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-21 8:05 pm   Permalink

Finky, that is NICE. Beautiful wood, Nice carving

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-22 5:43 pm   Permalink

Sweet job. That birds eye maple is choice stuff. Isn't that characteristic of maple that grows in nothern Wisconsin and the UP?

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-22 7:43 pm   Permalink

Awesome work! This small stuff is confounding to me, but you make it look easy with your clean lines and wicked styling.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-23 02:02 am   Permalink

Looks nice man!

Number 1 is currently in a box waiting to move house...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-23 08:42 am   Permalink

Thanks everybody for such kind words. Is bird's eye maple only from around here? I had no idea. The maintenance guy from my old job got a huge peice of it off an old machine in the warehouse and I talked him into cutting a chunk off for me. I think the machine was built in the '40s so the wood is pretty old.

Here is a wall plaque I just finished. The background is from an old aloha shirt that was ripped beyond repair. The tiki is a resin copy of my carving. I'm going to post this in market place too, since I'm going to make about 10 copies or so and see if anyones interested. The overall dimensions are about 9" by 20". Sorry for the dark pics, my camera was dropped recently and something about the light sensor doesn't work right anymore.

Mahalo!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-25 7:36 pm   Permalink

I think plenty of people will be interested in these. It's a really cool piece and you've done a nice job with the frame and background to give it the old school look. How do you get your resin to look so much like wood? I haven't tried casting yet, it looks like it'll be a pretty steep learning curve from what I can see.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-25 7:43 pm   Permalink

Fink,

The casting came out great! I imagine you will be able to move a bunch of those. Also, I missed that maple pendant...WOW is that beautiful! Great stuff, you are really busting out some killer carves....

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-25 7:49 pm   Permalink

Looks awesome man! great job on getting such a nice casting, then the display is awesome too.

Make sure you number them out of 10 so folks know whichone they get.

I hope you washed the shirt

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-01 5:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks Paipo, GMAN, and Hewey! This is my first attempt at resin casting, but my neighbor is a good teacher (thanks Mike!). As for the wood look, I started with a burnt red primer, then dry-brushed on different layers of color until I thought it looked right. I'm learning, and I'm excited about all of the things I should be able to do now. I guess now I'm going to have to learn how to paint.

Here are the tikis in progress

Mahalo!

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-01 5:17 pm   Permalink

Way to go Fink. Thise look great. Do these all have homes? I hope so. Stay away from breathing the MEK hardener in that resin. It is bad stuff.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-01 5:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-01 17:17, GMAN wrote:
Do these all have homes?

Only 1 so far, but I'm hoping after Hukilau to move some more. I figure people are saving their cash right now for the upcoming weekend.

Here are the fabrics that will be on the rest of the plaques. A total of 3 will have the tapa design you've seen already, 3 will have the lauhala matting, 2 will have the ocean scene with the palm trees, 1 will have the green bamboo, and 1 will have the red and black flower print.

Mahalo!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-01 9:06 pm   Permalink

Finky, Excellent job with the resin and the tikis are Better than excellent. HappyHappyHappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-01 11:58 pm   Permalink

Nice man!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation