FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 12:56 pm   Permalink

Those look great. So dd the mold crap out on you on such a small run?

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-04 5:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-02 12:56, AlohaStation wrote:
Those look great. So dd the mold crap out on you on such a small run?

No, I can do a bunch more. I just wanted to see if people were interested or not.
Thanks for the kind words.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-04 5:56 pm   Permalink

Here are some pics of final pieces. If anyone wants a tiki by itself too, that would be cool by me.

Thanks for looking!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 1:10 pm   Permalink

I've been trying some new techniques with the dremel. Thought I'd share a couple of pics. It's hard to tell in the picture because of the lighting, but I soaked the hook in some black tea for a while and it really gave it a great finish. Now I just have to work on getting my lines smoother.

Mahalo!

Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 3:28 pm   Permalink

Killer job!! Nice details. I like the tea stain idea for coloration, too..

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully 2006-10-22 07:36 ]

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 4:50 pm   Permalink

So Finky, You've been holding out on us too, The Bone works look great. Nice smoothe lines and cool detail.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 4:56 pm   Permalink

Nice work Finkdaddy, another great bone carver! And I really like the framed pieces,
cool backgrounds. nice to have to back from your Florida trip.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 5:01 pm   Permalink

Thank you so much Skully and Benz!

Skully, I sent you a PM. I saw the trick about the tea staining on one of GMAN's posts, but I think I need to leave it in longer next time.

Ben, I'm not holding out, I swear! This is the first thing I've carved since Hukilau. I'd like to try a Maori figure next, maybe. It was neat to finally meet you in Florida, I only wish I had spent some time with you. If things work out, I may be living just a stones throw away from you after this spring. Cross your fingers for me.

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 5:04 pm   Permalink

Hey Conga!!

You snuck in that post before I saw it. Thanks for the kind words. The Florida trip was terrific, although a bit humbling. I have a LOT to learn!

It will be in the 30's tonight. Any snow by you yet?

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 5:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-21 13:10, finkdaddy wrote:
I soaked the hook in some black tea for a while

Lovely Matau! I have also seen a guy in NZ who puts his nearly-finished bone carvings in a fish 'smoker', where they get a beauiful patina. I think the depth of blackening can be controlled by the length of time exposed. He then sands tham back a bit to lighten the colour of high spots. Looks great & brings the added dimension of smelling like a tribal cook-out! (smokey -not fishy!)

Tama

[ This Message was edited by: Tamapoutini 2006-10-21 17:11 ]

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 5:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words, Tamapoutini. I hadn't thought of that fish smoker trick. I've been getting some great advice lately. Mahalo!

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 5:55 pm   Permalink

Great pendant Fink. I love your shapes and details. I sent you a PM about the bud burrs. Try the tea for 24 plus hours and then a quick buff to lighten the edges/high areas and accent the recessed areas.

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 6:00 pm   Permalink

Beautiful pendant finky!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 6:03 pm   Permalink

Very nice bone work. What do you mean you have to get the lines smoother? They look smooth enough to me.

I have my fingures crossed for your move to FL. Who knows, next spring we may be neighbors.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-22 05:20 am   Permalink

Thats gotta be one of the sweetest fish hooks Ive seen! Great flwoing lines, even the way the cord is tied on is sweet. Very nice man. # 1 sends his love, even though he is wrapped in a baseball sized wad of paper ready to move house...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation