FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 5:16 pm   Permalink

Yes! That's my boy!

Thanks Hewey. Please, if you ever find yourself state-side, let's get together.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-24 5:30 pm   Permalink

There is a wood project I'm working on, but it's turned out to be a bit tougher than I'd hoped. So in the meantime I've created another hook.
I'm getting the lines a bit cleaner on the engraving, finally, thanks to a new bit that GMAN recommended.

Thanks for looking.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-24 10:12 pm   Permalink

all you guys are making me "Nuts" with this bone stuff. I'm hooked. Gonna
get some sardine bones and give it a try.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-25 05:30 am   Permalink

Finky,

Tres sweet dude! I'm telling ya, that's the way to go. Did you feel much of a difference, control wise? Additionally, if you lay them over, they won't bite deep and leave craters.

This one is supa smoove! Excellent work!

"The saw is family"

[ This Message was edited by: GMAN 2006-11-25 06:03 ]

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-25 06:14 am   Permalink

Conga, Sardine bones eh? Now THAT would be impressive!
Gman, OK I'm forced to admit that I stretched the truth a bit. I went out searching for the "spear" shaped tip you told me about, but I couldn't find one locally. I settled for a ball shaped one instead. I know you didn't recommend that, but it is light-years better than what I was using which was a super cheap set of bits covered with that diamond-dust stuff. I'm lobbying Santa really hard for a pro set of tools this month.

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-25 4:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-24 17:30, finkdaddy wrote:

Very nice, very graceful. Must have taken a long time to layout to make it look so good. How big is it?

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-25 5:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks JP. I do spend a while on design. I go through a lot of scratch paper. This one is about 3" at it's longest part. The next one will be a little more complicated, I hope, and the one after that will be a very thin and simple; a little more feminine. Thanks for looking.

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-26 4:16 pm   Permalink

Here is how I spent my Sunday. I wanted something in between a shark and a hook.

sketching on paper

drawn on the bone

roughed out

ready for sanding (I hate sanding)

extra lines drawn on

engraved and polished, ready for tea bath

finished!

Thanks!

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-26 4:44 pm   Permalink

Very nice piece finkdaddy - that one has a great flow to it. I'm nuts about sharks and love seeing them incorporated into tiki/pacific art forms. You're starting to break the shackles with your designs too - the only thing a hook really needs is a curve, and the possibilities are endless. I'm looking forard to doing some more hooks myself soon...thanks for the inspiration!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-27 12:06 am   Permalink

Looks great man - love the inclusion of the shark and hook together

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-27 04:32 am   Permalink

another nice piece Finkdaddy. Thanks for posting all of the progress pics. The multi-stage
pics give a better indication of what's involved. Wanna see more!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-27 06:54 am   Permalink

YES, Another cool hook. Ditto what everyone else said too! The shark is a really cool animal that you have fit well into this hook. Thiis must be a shark hook used for catching hammerheads. Well done again.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-27 06:56 am   Permalink

Finky,

Killer! He looks great, send him on over to me!

-Gman

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-12 8:08 pm   Permalink

Here is my latest. It's a carving of Mokopeke, a snake-like creature from Moari folklore. It was interesting to carve, but I could find very little about him on the web. Anybody know more about him?

Anyway, I started with a piece of hickory-smoked bone to see how it would turn out. I am very pleased with the finish, and believe me, it looks way better in person than in these pics.

Thanks for looking!

Gman and Benzart, I'm going to fire off a couple of lengthly PM's to you two with some carving questions tomorrow. Thanks in advance

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-12 9:21 pm   Permalink

I've heard of a pekapeka, and a koropepe, but not the mokopeke...after googling I see it is on the carving.co.nz site, but it doesn't look at all like a traditional design to me - at least not one I've seen in any of my books on Maori art. Another one, the "traditional" design they call Roimata, is a contemporary design created by a NZ jade carver in the 1980s.
There are a lot of so-called Traditional Maori designs that have no basis in tradition and are given made-up names and obligatory legends to capture the tourist's imagination and money! (the single/double/triple/xxx twist being the most famous...) I'm as guilty as any of this when I was only working in jade, although I made sure they were my made-up names and designs!
It pays to take anything online related to bone or jade carving with a grain of salt....
Nice carving regardless!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation