FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 12:06 am   Permalink

I can add a little...

Moko (apart from the facial tattoo) is the Maori name for lizard & this piece does have a bit of a lizardy feel.

*Had to look peke up in the trusty Maori/English dictionary, which tells us 'to jump' - Leaping Lizards Finkdaddy!!!

What ever he is, he's a sweet wee fella for sure. He kind of looks like he's hungry & pleading for food; or is it just me? Cute.

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 05:17 am   Permalink

FINKY!!! I Love the Hickory smoke color and the piece is Way excellent. The way the lines flow and meet is really clean and gives it more of a sleek look. I Might like this better than the sharks but the sharks are So Sweet, I Dunno??
When I'm ready to carve bone, I'm coming to you with questions.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 05:17 am   Permalink

Awesome. Now I have a completely non-Maori/tiki thing that has a very nice finish. I guess I should stick to subjects that I can pull off. Anyway, than you for the compliments. It means a lot to me that both of you take interest in what I do (or try to do ). I think I'll try another tiki next.

[Ben, you snuck that reply in sometime before I could hit enter on this one. Thanks! I like the finish on this one too, I'm going to use it more often. GMAN's the guy to ask about bone stuff though. ]

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy 2006-12-13 05:20 ]

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 2:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-13 05:17, finkdaddy wrote:
Awesome. Now I have a completely non-Maori/tiki thing that has a very nice finish. I guess I should stick to subjects that I can pull off. Anyway, than you for the compliments. It means a lot to me that both of you take interest in what I do (or try to do ). I think I'll try another tiki next.

There's nothing wrong with your carving, and it is still very much in a Maori vein - it's only the provenance of the design in "tradition" that is questionable. Stuff available on the WWW really is hit or miss in terms of authenticity (there's that word again Tama!)
One thing I would recommend is to grab a couple of the many very good books on Maori Art (
http://www.reed.co.nz has several of the best in print), find something that strikes a cord (not necessarily a jewllery design), and adapt it to your needs, but making sure it's your "take" on the design. I did a whole series of pendants based on old canoe bailers using this approach, which then morphed into a series of tikis!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-13 3:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-26 16:16, finkdaddy wrote:

Wow FinkD! That's a very nice piece. The hammerhead design is very well done. Sharp lines, nice detail. Nice job.

TG

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 4:11 pm   Permalink

I love the new stuff Finkdaddy. Is there a future in resin for any of these?

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 5:37 pm   Permalink

Wow, thanks everyone.

Raffer, it's funny you should ask that. Hopefully, I will be making a mold of everything I carve starting with the most recent snake-thing. I don't know how soon I will be making casts of things, but I figured some day I could sell some hand-painted copies and maybe sell them in sets in a shadow box or something.
Thanks for the props.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 6:02 pm   Permalink

Love your "moko" Finkdaddy. I haven't studied the bone-styles nearly as much as wood
carvings, but I know what looks great. Really nice flow and design. Now that you are
on rehab...let's forget about the day job (or is it night job) and get to carving full
time.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 6:06 pm   Permalink

Finky,

Very nice work. That smoked bone is great. I've found it takes color very nicely. I can set you up with a link that discusses the lizard images found in Maori art works. This rocks and is a very solid stylized piece. Very very nice.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-14 6:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks Conga and Gman!

Here's what I did today:

It's a little less than a finger wide, and a little longer than 4 fingers high.
I started out trying to carve a patu(sp?), but during the process it morphed into some kind of spear head, which is OK too.

I decided not to stain this one at all because the finish turned out very, very nice and I was afraid to cover it up. I wish the pics were nicer. If anyone is interested in this piece, just let me know.

Thanks all!

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 5:31 pm   Permalink

Here is one that was cut from the same piece of wood as one I did earlier this year. I've had it roughed out since before Hukilau, so I thought I'd better finish it. It's carved from bird's eye maple and has a beautiful grain.

Here is the three that I did this week.

Mahalo!

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 6:33 pm   Permalink

Finky, love the hammerhead and the club thing. I think the hammerhead would have worked better had the cord ran through the tail, so she was more like a hook? Very nice, keep em coming

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 6:57 pm   Permalink

Very nice, all of them Finky. And I feel it is appropriate to offer some constructive
criticism, which seems to be what many of us are looking for.
Although these pieces are very nice Finky, I suggest that you do MANY MORE AND MUCH FASTER.
I hope my input is not offensive to you.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-12-15 11:54 pm   Permalink

Great work fink!!! that moai is great - I love the profile view and how smooth it looks. Those hooks are very creative too, I like how you're tweeking the design and bringing in the finky twist. The hammerhead is really great. 3 in a week?!?! MAN you're prolific!

Did you hookknife the moai?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 12:52 am   Permalink

Hey Fink,

You should have surgery more often OR quit your job and start carving fulltime!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation