FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
finkdaddy's '06 art ( Army 'o Tangs pg 20 )
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-26 05:35 am   Permalink

Finky, that is One Cool Eagle. Looks like it was made by the NE Indians for a totem pole. Very difficult to do and get that Tlinket look.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-26 3:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks all.

Hewey, no worries mate! This wasn't a lifestyle change, just a favor for my wife. More tikis to come!

Conga and Gman, it didn't occur to me that it would be tiki influenced, but I suppose it would have to be since literaly everything I've ever carved has been a tiki!

Tikiduddy, Thanks! The wood is mahogany. Caw!

Ben, thank you so much. I wanted to make a Native American style eagle, so I'm glad you think so too!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-13 3:10 pm   Permalink

This is a little piece that will be part of a wall hanging I'm donating to a cancer raffle. The stuff on the forehead was supposed to be a jellyfish design I saw on an old piece of tappa cloth, but when my wife saw it she said, "Cute acorn!"

Oh well, I'll try harder next time.

I'll post the finished pics tomorrow. Thanks for looking.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-13 6:26 pm   Permalink

Looks nice Finky. The Acorn or jellyfish or whatever it is woeks. It's nice to see you posting again. Show us more.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 5:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ben! I didn't spend much time on this one, so it's not very even or inventive. The next one I've started should have a more vintage look. I believe it's a small piece of maple that you sent me a while ago.

Here is the finish pic. Thanks for looking!

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 5:46 pm   Permalink

I've always liked these kinds of wall plaques with the bamboo, finkdaddy. You've done a top notch job on it.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 5:54 pm   Permalink

Fink,

That's great stuff! I love the way you mounted that piece. The acorn really sets that carving off......

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 5:58 pm   Permalink

I see a jelly fish

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 7:13 pm   Permalink

Sam G, thank you very much! I'd like to try some more of these and see what I can come up with. If I can figure out a way to do the bamboo part quickly I'd like to try a run of resin cast tikis and see how that works.

Gman, I never saw an acorn until my wife said it and now that's all I can see! Thanks for the kind words.

JohnnyP, thanks man, you're my new best friend.

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 10:39 pm   Permalink

Nice work Finkdaddy

Good seeing you last week at Foundation also... now you know where to get a decent Mai Tai in Milwaukee!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-15 05:12 am   Permalink

Looks good man

Maybe a bigger carving or smaller bamboo? The piece is lost a little in the size of the bamboo me thinks..

I see a jelly fish doing an impression of an accorn!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-15 11:05 am   Permalink

It could be the acorn jellyfish, Oakus stingicus????

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-15 2:49 pm   Permalink

that's a great looking wall plaque! i like how you put it all together with the bamboo, matting, and the tiki. i noticed, the acorn, too, but it still looks good. nice job on it!

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-17 7:41 pm   Permalink

those are some amazing skills right there. good work and keep it comming along.

nice stuff

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-17 7:48 pm   Permalink

That's excellent, F-daddy. Good job with the cordage at the boo joints. How big is the whole thing, can't really tell from the pics.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation