FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Tai Pictures
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Mai Tai Pictures
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-15 11:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-15 02:48, Sabina wrote:
... But if you can't make the trek, just head on over to the Trader Vic's website.

Thanks ES - !

I just ordered a box of 6 glasses for $49. I can't afford the shaker though. That's another $50...plus shipping...ugh!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-15 2:14 pm   Permalink

Now look what I've gone and started!

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing- to other people's wallets!

[ This Message was edited by: Sabina 2006-03-15 14:15 ]

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 8:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-13 13:22, Sabina wrote:
A Lounge of the Seven Pleasures Mai Tai in the 60th anniversary Trader Vic's glass-

[ This Message was edited by: Sabina 2006-03-13 13:24 ]

One day, I must have a Mai Tai in The Lounge of Seven Pleasures!!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-15 9:11 pm   Permalink

You folks have a standing invitation- anytime!

But, now that the Waldorf has reopened on weekends, we may just have to bring some Seven Pleasures Mai Tais to you- if only by way of *beginning* to say thank you for all the kind hospitality over the "Holy shit, it's a Tiki event in Vancouver!" events.

You two, your fine mixology, Funhauser, the garden, and your wondrous "Beautility" are all missed very much!

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-19 07:59 am   Permalink

Here are two photos of the Mai Tai's from the Mai-Kai. (Say that 10 times fast!)

The first photo is without the flash and it looks to dark, the second with the flash and it looks too light. Split the difference, or drink three or four and you have it.

The drink is not really this dark and reddish.

This is closer to the actual color of presentation, but the flash washes out all of the garnish.

And, here is the best view of any Mai-Tai, regardless of mixologist or location

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-19 2:18 pm   Permalink

Yo C&A - Very nice pics! I gotta try a Mai Kai Mai Tai ten times real fast!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-19 9:36 pm   Permalink

Alright, odd little detail questions here, as you can see from the Mai Kai Mai Tai pix, they dust both the mint and the orchid with powdered sugar. Where the heck did that come from, is it used on other drinks outside of the Mai Kai, and does anyone else do it on Mai Tais? OR is it just one of the many unique aspects of the Mai Kai's Mai Tai?

Also, what do people think of orchids in their Mai Tais? Does the faint scent work with the mint for you, or do you find it distracts?

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-20 06:50 am   Permalink

My pic and review of the Mai Kai's Mai Tai is HERE. Keep in mind I'm a bit of a purist... a Mai Tai ain't a real Mai Tai unless it's a Trader Vic Mai Tai.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-20 07:30 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:47 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 09:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-19 21:36, Sabina wrote:What do people think of orchids in their Mai Tais? Does the faint scent work with the mint for you, or do you find it distracts?

I love it. It reminds me of the Mai Tais I wasn't even old enough to drink when my folks took me to Hawaii. My Dad enjoyed them and I thought they were the most amazing things. We also attended a fruit buffet on Waikiki beach where the food trays were sunk in ice, the ice being entirely covered in tiny purple orchids. I remember my folks marveling at how many orchids it would take to cover that big table. Something about seeing my parents excitement over the flower has stuck with me, and whether or not it's the most historically correct garnish for a Mai Tai, it's my favorite.

As for the subtle scent of the orchid and mint effecting the flavor, I remember a segment on CBS Sunday Morning about a very creative chef who vaporizes anise into an inflatable place mat then pokes tiny holes in it so when the dish is lowered onto the little pillow the sent is forced out mixing with that of the entree to effect the overall flavor.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MobileTikiBar
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-11 08:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-07 11:12, tikigap wrote:
I thought I'd start a thread to solicit opinions on the "best" mai tai's and how they should "look".

I'm not voting this one the best, it really needed more dark rum for my taste. This was taken at Daytona Beach, FL.

Mai Tai's

Enjoying

a small bar at Daytona Beach

http://www.mobiletikibar.com
http://www.rumreviews.com

[ This Message was edited by: MobileTikiBar 2006-04-11 16:37 ]

View Profile of MobileTikiBar Send a personal message to MobileTikiBar  Goto the website of MobileTikiBar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-11 2:55 pm   Permalink

Yeah, looks like it needs more dark rum, but the orchids are nice!

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 07:19 am   Permalink

Midnite's Mai-Tai Montage from his trip(s) to the London Trader Vic's.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-12 12:35 pm   Permalink

Great montage! Man! I'm thuurrsty!

captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-01 6:58 pm   Permalink

I mixed a Mai Tai and thought I would post a picture of it here.

It tasted much much better than it looked.
I used
Beachbum Berry's $100 Mai Tai Recipie and I recomend it to everyone.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation