FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Mai Tai Pictures
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Mai Tai Pictures
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-22 8:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-21 09:22, captnkirk wrote:
I was at a party recently, were on the last day it is a tradition to move the party into the river.

A party that last for days AND ends up in a river??? WOW, sounds like my kind of party!!

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-23 1:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-22 14:37, BastardoSaffrin wrote:

This is my friend Maitane (yes, her name is Maitane) with that mai tai I mixed for her.

[ This Message was edited by: BastardoSaffrin 2007-10-22 23:39 ]

Hostia, tio, ¿por donde se consigue un Mai Tai por allí? El año pasado fuí a Kahiki, y nada. mucho zumo, poco ron.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BastardoSaffrin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-24 08:58 am   Permalink

Coño, vaya inglés más raro os gastáis en Boston! :) Switchin' back to English: Yes, if you order a Mai Tai in Kahiki, you get anything but a Mai Tai. Same happens in Aloha. You know, loads of juices, liquors and other sweet and syrupy stuff that don't let you taste the flavour of rum, assuming you have rum in your drink. And they call it Mai Tai, but it's not.

BUT if you head to Kahala, up in Diagonal, it's something different. Last saturday I decided to ask the waiter how did they prepare the Mai Tai, because if you look at the menu they don't have it in the list of drinks with tiki mugs, but in another section kind of "tropical cocktails", with the daikiris, mojitos, caipirinhas and stuff, so it seems they take it seriously. The answer of the busy waiter was something like "white rum, dark rum, lemon, almond, curaçao". Yes, they use lemon instead of lime juice, so it was less tart that it should be, and it missed the fresh mint. They also use ice cubes instead of crushed ice, but it's the closest thing to a Mai Tai you can have in a tiki bar in Spain.

Um, and it's served in an old-fashioned glass instead of a tiki mug, and that's fine.

Also you can head to my place and I'll mix you a real Mai Tai with limes, mint and stuff!

Hasta luego,

View Profile of BastardoSaffrin Send a personal message to BastardoSaffrin  Goto the website of BastardoSaffrin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-27 8:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Also you can head to my place and I'll mix you a real Mai Tai with limes, mint and stuff!

Hasta luego,

That sounds like the plan! I don't get over there nearly enough, but when I'm there again, y quien coño sabe cuando, I'll take you up on that. Thanks!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-10-29 05:02 am   Permalink

You know, it sounds like you've got something there, Mr. Bastardo. I think you should open up a "real" tiki bar in Spain and serve correct Mai Tais! Let me know if you do; I might be interested in a silent partner arrangement!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BastardoSaffrin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-29 09:24 am   Permalink

Yes, that is some fantasy of me and my wahine... But after 30 seconds of thinking about it, we realise it's too much work and we don't know exactly how to manage it... So I mix two more Mai Tais and everything is OK again!

View Profile of BastardoSaffrin Send a personal message to BastardoSaffrin  Goto the website of BastardoSaffrin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-09 7:00 pm   Permalink

My first Mai Tai at the Mai-Kai! Can't wait to return!

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-12-26 7:32 pm   Permalink

Here's a few that I've had in the past few months.

* I’ve re-shot the Good Luck Bar Mai Tai to get the Dragon Swizzle facing the right way.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2008-03-26 21:58 ]

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-26 7:41 pm   Permalink

Wow! Nice collection! I'll have to get my camera out this weekend... what an inspiration!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-26 8:19 pm   Permalink

Very Nice Bora Boris! I'm jealous....

Why did they not stir the one in the lower left corner? It looks like the poured all of the ingredients into layers instead of actually mixing the drink....

And where did the one in the lower right corner come from? I like the swizzle, but I'm scared of pink Mai-Tais.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-26 8:20 pm   Permalink

Actually, it looks like a couple of them are done in layers. Are the bars you frequent to busy to actually mix the cocktails? Is the layer effect becoming common on the West Coast?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-12-26 9:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks Tikigap! It turned out much better than I thought it would so now I am also inspired to drink/photograph more but I have come up with some rules –

• No Repeats
• No Chains = California Pizza Kitchen, TGI Friday's, Islands places like that but there are some exceptions and obviously Trader Vic’s doesn’t count.
• No places that list Bacardi® or Grenadine as ingredients on the menu. If those ingredients are in there they’re in there but at least I won’t know in advance.
That should do it. (Man I am full of myself!)

Chip and Andy the drinks are ~

First row left to right ~ Trader Vic’s Emeryville • Tiki-Ti • Forbidden Island • Bahooka

Second row left to right ~ Bali Hai San Diego • Tony’s Fish Market - Redondo Beach • Damon’s • The Tonga Hut

Third row left to right ~ Sam’s Seafood • Atomiktty’s Mai Tai from the Tiki Modern Party at 8 Ball • Shintaro a Japanese Restaurant here in Hollywood and the Pink one is from the Good Luck Bar.

The Swizzle is actually backward but it’s so dark in there I couldn’t tell. (I’ve re-shot the Good Luck Bar Mai Tai to get the Dragon Swizzle facing the right way.) None of the places with the rum float were busy; I just think they don’t know what they’re doing or that it’s “Their Version of a Mai Tai” which gives me a headache first when I hear it and then again when I drink it.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2010-10-23 19:54 ]

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-27 07:36 am   Permalink

ya know whats weird? WILDSVILLE hasn't invaded this forum yet with his GRENADINE & PINEAPPLE JUICE based Bacardi Mai Tai ®

this is on my cel... I send it to people who NEED drinks while on the phone....thanx for the glass, TV

BB MoondoggyO

sweatin' to Quiet Village in AZ

[ This Message was edited by: bb moondog 2007-12-27 07:40 ]

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-27 2:24 pm   Permalink

Boris, that's excellent I love it. Now just add yours (Borai Tai?) to the end for the perfect finish

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-06 7:16 pm   Permalink

Very cool pictures Boris.
One of the only good things about Trader Vic's Las Vegas.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation