FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki mugs by hmc
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki mugs by hmc
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 12:17 am   Permalink

Within the next few weeks, I will be trying my hand at making custom designed mugs.

I have bought the materials to make the master and the mold, and by posting a pic of this extreme early stage, will prompt me to keep progress pics in this thread.

I will be doing a 2 step mold making process.

1. Create a mold to make a silicon master from the original clay master
2. Create a plaster mold using the silicon master

So, here's the not very exciting photo of the 3 items - plaster, silicon and clay. Woo Hoo!

I aim to spend much of this weekend making the clay master...

View Profile of hmc Send a personal message to hmc  Goto the website of hmc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 03:28 am   Permalink

This is interesting already. Post lots of pics of the process.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 06:43 am   Permalink

If you show us the way, I bet you next year, at this time there will be a dozen new mugs from TC members floating around.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 06:58 am   Permalink

YES, by all means, PLEASE post lots of pictures as you do this. I'm very interested in trying this but have no idea of the process.

BIG Thanks to you for starting this thread!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-08 08:59 am   Permalink

At last a step by step guide to making your own tiki mugs,hurrah

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 09:34 am   Permalink

Holy dooly! You little ripper! Tiki mugs from The Lucky Country! Good onya, you'll be a dinkum cobber if want to flick it on when you're done (if it's not big bikkies). I'll use the thingo for my turps and get stonkered!

Sorry to sound the whacker but I'm working on my bushie slang. Hooroo!

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 09:41 am   Permalink

I'll be watching this baby.

Thanks for sharing with the rest of the class.

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 11:12 am   Permalink

eagerly awaiting more info and pics. There is gonna be a bunch of us watching .

Mahalo for taking the time and starting this thread

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 1:15 pm   Permalink

I am going to be one of those bunches watching. This sounds like a lot of fun!
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 1:41 pm   Permalink

Me Too, Can't wait!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 3:33 pm   Permalink

I'm quite interested.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 7:36 pm   Permalink

Yaaay custom mugs! The more the merrier. I'm interested to see how your silicone master works out.
-Joe

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-09 11:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-08 09:34, hodadhank wrote:
Holy dooly! You little ripper! Tiki mugs from The Lucky Country! Good onya, you'll be a dinkum cobber if want to flick it on when you're done (if it's not big bikkies). I'll use the thingo for my turps and get stonkered!

Sorry to sound the whacker but I'm working on my bushie slang. Hooroo!

Oh my goodness... PLEASE, PLEASE give up!!! Did you give one of those online translators a go? I seriously haven't heard anyone talk like that before!

View Profile of hmc Send a personal message to hmc  Goto the website of hmc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-09 11:38 pm   Permalink

WOW! I knew this process would be helpful to some, but your enthusiastic replies (and overwhelming number of views on this topic) has made me feel as though I'd better produce something good!

I have never done this before so it's not an actual "how to" from a professional. But given that there is nothing out there on the subject, I guess it's a case of "something is better than nothing".

I have done quite a bit of research on the subject, including gaining an insight into Rum Demon's process, attending workshops on molding and casting and getting the step by step lowdown over the phone from a friend who used to be a potter / ceramicist.

I really hope you get "something" out of this process - if anything, entertainment!

OK - now to get the hands dirty and make a clay master from the sketches.

Tip: Make your master approx 10% bigger than the finished product due to shrinkage of the ceramic slip. As the ceramic slip dries, it shrinks. I have been told to make it about 10% bigger. Please consult your doc... ummm, supplier for the recommended percentage. I assume products will differ.

scarysnarles
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-10 06:20 am   Permalink

Perfect timing! I 'm firing my first prototypes tonight> I can't wait to see them ! It's like being pregnant waiting for the baby to pop out. Mine are made from straight up clay. I'm wondering how much difficulty it's going to be to make molds from them ? Got any trouble shooting advice? Anyone? Anyone?

View Profile of scarysnarles Send a personal message to scarysnarles  Email scarysnarles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation