FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki mugs by hmc
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki mugs by hmc
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-20 1:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-20 12:43, hmc wrote:
I haven't decided what to do yet....

OK, I have decided... I will adjust the first plaster mold as much as possible. I will also hack into my silicon guy. I am also going to make a second plaster mold to speed up the production line.

Rum Demon: My keys are good, no problems there thank goodness! I didn't know what else to use to make the impressions. What do you use to make the / shape?

View Profile of hmc Send a personal message to hmc  Goto the website of hmc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-20 1:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-20 13:01, cheekytiki wrote:
HMC, with the mold makers I have used they usually make a separate part of the mold for the foot as that is an under cut in itself.

Gees, a separate mold! That sounds awfully complex. I'm thinking the pineapple of Mrs Rum Demon's as a five piece is WAY too complex for my head to get around!

Quote:

I suddenly feel like one in a line of people pointing out mistakes,

No no, don't think that you are. This is good and this is certainly the place to be adding your input!

View Profile of hmc Send a personal message to hmc  Goto the website of hmc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
yumyumkid
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-20 8:04 pm   Permalink

This is a great thread! Keep the pics/info comin. You can carve your keys into the first half of the mold. Then when the second half is poured you'll create the whole key. Another option would be to use something to make an imprint like you did. I have used a marble with one of the few molds I've made. Personally I would choose something round as it's less likely to chip and break over time.

After some searching on the internet I found the name "Natches" for the little plastic keys that are used on some molds. Turns out they are hard to locate now...? I've never used these but it seems alot of people swear by them. This company name was given along with a phone number on a ceramic message board. The post was from March of 2004 so it may still be up to date:
Double-A-Plastics Co. 413-267-4403
Remember, ask for "Natches"

Again, awesome post. Looking forward to the finished product.

[ This Message was edited by: yumyumkid 2006-02-20 20:04 ]

View Profile of yumyumkid Send a personal message to yumyumkid  Email yumyumkid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 12:59 am   Permalink

Ive got nothing of quality to add to this thread, just that I am loving watching it evolve and develop.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-21 04:08 am   Permalink

As i thought the clay master would have to be a clay that remains pliable rather than a clay that gets solid, I've done a bit of casting like this for animation models and when i made little plaster tiki heads.

When i made my moulds the mould making stuff is really hot and destroys modeling clay, so i thought your silicon moulding material might be the same stuff and that would be the reason you needed a ceramic clay original.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-21 04:08, atomictonytiki wrote:
As i thought the clay master would have to be a clay that remains pliable rather than a clay that gets solid

Wrong - it does not "have" to be pliable. When I purchased the silicon, I had two choices to make the master - plaster or modeling clay. Neither of which are pliable. These two materials are also compatible with silicon, some materials used for masters will not allow the silicon to cure - you will need to check with your supplier if going down this path.

My master would have come out easily if I had have made a 2-piece mold, although wanting to save money on the silicon I opted for the economical 1-piece mold.

Quote:

When i made my moulds the mould making stuff is really hot and destroys modeling clay, so i thought your silicon moulding material might be the same stuff and that would be the reason you needed a ceramic clay original.

Plaster does get hot, silicon does not.

Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 8:34 pm   Permalink

DON'T hack into your master silicon guy!!!!

1. Silicon is really hard to work, being essentially rubbery glass.

2. Any cuts you make will be nearly imposible to smoothe out.

3. It's really pretty and would be a shame to hack into.

Having said that, I've never tried to work silicon. Just never occured to me as a good idea. I'd try sanding and working the conical mold you made first just to see how the stuff responds to tools.

I'd make another stone mold instead. See if you can't re-route your part line to accomodate the lips, it might just be possible, plus it's nice to have practice.

Cheekytiki is right about the bottom bit. All of our mugs save primo have a bottom portion on the mold. It's really easy, just do your clay-up with the mug touching the bottom of the box. Proceed as normal, then turn the thing upside down, build walls for the bottom piece and pour away. Of course putting keys wherever necessary.

Hope it's all working out. Best of luck.

-Joe

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-21 9:24 pm   Permalink

I just discovered this thread. I feel somewhat like the young city kid who vists his farm-dwelling cousin, and gets all excited when he sees real chickens laying real eggs. "So thats how those things are produced!" I've consumed so many drinks from so many tiki mugs, and I don't think I'll be able to have another tiki drink without thinking about this thread.

So, we've seen instructions on how to carve tikis, and now lessons on how to make tiki mugs. Soon all we will need is someone to show us how to distill and make premium rum, and how to grow cotton and make various dyes and mix everything together to create Hawaiian shirts, and we'll be all set.

I have visions of a half dozen or so people from Tiki Central secretly becoming contestants for the Survivor TV show, and then forming their own tribe, voting the non-tiki wimps off the island, and then evolving into a fully self-supportive tiki community. Forming a tiki utopia, one step at a time, one tiki mug at a time.

Vern

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev 2006-02-22 05:31 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 9:29 pm   Permalink

Vern/ikitnrev/verntiki,

You my friend, are an absolute crackup Thanks for posting such a great thread and making my day.

Cheers!

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-21 10:17 pm   Permalink

Ha ha Vern! That's exactly right! I've been watching this very phenomenon myself, here at TC - it truly is amazing. There's a heck of a lot a talent here... I have a book on distilling spirits... like rum. I'll have to look into that.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 12:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-21 21:24, ikitnrev wrote:
I have visions of a half dozen or so people from Tiki Central secretly becoming contestants for the Survivor TV show, and then forming their own tribe, voting the non-tiki wimps off the island, and then evolving into a fully self-supportive tiki community. Forming a tiki utopia, one step at a time, one tiki mug at a time.

Vern

Survivor: Tiki Island?!? I like the sound of that! I'm trying to convince my wife right now that what we need to start doing is making tiki mugs. Maybe a few more weeks of constant pestering and she'll give in....

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-13 9:53 pm   Permalink

Sheesh, 20 odd days since my last update.

I have actualy finished the mugs (only 8 of them) but have been too busy to post pics and write up information. I hope to get the next update out by end of this week!!!!

Kane Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-13 10:12 pm   Permalink

i was wondering what happened to these. can't wait to see what they look like. by my reckoning these will be the first known professionally done australian tiki mugs! the shag/outre gallery ones don't count cos obviously they were designed and made outside of oz.

[ This Message was edited by: Kane Tiki 2006-03-13 22:14 ]

View Profile of Kane Tiki Send a personal message to Kane Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 04:11 am   Permalink

Looking forward to em HMC

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
yumyumkid
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-15 11:42 pm   Permalink

Bumb....cuz this thread is too cool. HMC, any new pics headin our way?

View Profile of yumyumkid Send a personal message to yumyumkid  Email yumyumkid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation