FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki happyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappy
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
happyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappy
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 4:57 pm   Permalink

Just found this one dated Feb. 15:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/13877750.htm

Tractor-trailer accident ties up I-85
Associated Press
RALEIGH, N.C. - An overturned tractor trailer is blocking part of northbound Interstate 85 in Orange County.

The state Highway Patrol says the accident occurred around 2 a.m. near mile marker 169 near Hillsborough. Troopers say a FedEx piggyback tractor-trailer was driving behind another rig without a trailer when it ran into the back of it. The FedEx tractor-trailer overturned and blocked both northbound lanes of the interstate.

Neither driver was hurt.

Traffic in the vicinity is backed up for more than a mile. The patrol is advising motorists to detour to N-C 86. They say the highway may not reopen before 10 a.m..

Maybe your Tiki was aboard??

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2006-02-21 16:58 ]

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 5:17 pm   Permalink

I bet it was on that truck. Give 'em hell and demand to see pictures of the damage. It could be that the damage was superficial or only to the packaging. They may just be writing off the whole truckload for insurance purposes. I don't know what the hell I'm talking about but get on their asses and stay on 'em! Get the buyer on them as well. Tell them the item has sentimental value above the material value. I don't know if that means anything but it sounds good! Make sure they provide you with proof of the damage. Just my dos pesos.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 5:37 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: foamy 2006-02-21 18:05 ]

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 5:43 pm   Permalink

First off, what a total bummer. I saw this post this morning, and I was so mortified, I couldn't even respond. Next, I second all the comments. Damaged and you're not allowed to see any pictures or get any details? That sounds way fishy to me. You just need to call and tell 'em how pissed you are (it helps if you can at least fake being pissed off). Get on them a bit and don't let 'em fop off some crap answer on ya. If the thing has been damaged, you deserve some answers. The package was destroyed and discarded? Sounds like the package was discarded and that beautiful tiki is in someone's living room or something. Like everyone else said, you have to stay on top of things like this, too. Calling every day sounds ridiculous, but in this day and age, it's the only way that you can things done. Best of luck getting everything sorted out in a timely fashion!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 7:00 pm   Permalink

At least if a Greyhound bus is in a serious crash everyone pretty much knows about it. If a FedEx truck wipes out, who knows what the heck happens. The lack of detail in their explanation is outrageous and makes me wonder if the package wasn't stolen.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 7:39 pm   Permalink

The Final word from FedEx is the package was Totally destroyed and discarded. I don't know when they were going to call and tell anyone but it had to be pretty bad to have destroyed the package.

I wouldn't consider that the final word, one. Two, you can pretty much assume the package was not completely destroyed and discarded, that's not really possible. It's either totally destroyed, dust to dust, that sort of thing...or...they chucked it. Three, the one thing I know: it's up to the claim process now. They'll work on an assumption the issue is paying you, getting to the "bottom" of it to discover what happened? Not a real concern.

The initial reaction I had was truck accident: blown up, blown up real good. My guess is FedEx will simply pass you off to the claim process, which will be long and troublesome. I am uncertain you'll ever get a straight answer as to what really went down. Unless you can get feedback from the parties actually involved, I think, you've heard all you will (a few words in a small form).

Don't rely on a phone call for anything, put it all in writing and do your talking through the mail, not on the phone. Good luck, I can envision you being quickly paid, in relative terms, but how much is another matter. The loss of a piece of art you produced will never be compensated properly, that much is unfortunately true.

Sorry to hear about this, if you have any questions on legal crap, email me. I love to fight insurance companies.

midnite...a total and complete jerk, but with legal authority to do so.

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-21 7:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-21 14:57, HelloTiki wrote:
I hope that Fedex is prepared to pay the karmic price. I sure wouldn't mess withsuch an awesome Tiki. Shrunken heads will roll!

Whoa dude. It's gotta be a huge price to pay, kamically. Boy are they in trouble...

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Rod Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 8:25 pm   Permalink

Mid Knight, Your legal chatter has me all fired up. I think I will adjourn to the basement and enjoy watching "Legally Blonde" Featuring " Elle Wood & Bruiser the dog". No teasing, I have young daughters. This DVD was seen over 700 times in one weekend at our house, I don't know how kids do that.

Just tell me your business cards AREN'T magnetic..

Bummer 'bout the artwork though.
Aloha

View Profile of Hot Rod Tiki Send a personal message to Hot Rod Tiki  Email Hot Rod Tiki Goto the website of Hot Rod Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 11:18 pm   Permalink

Yeah, "discarded" my butt.

I'm sure you all noticed how many totally uncrushed packages were visible in that accident picture.

I mean, come ON. A set of Victorian teacups...sure, okay. I could believe that.

But a solid wood TIKI?!?

It's in someone's living room. I hope you get those guys. Best of luck to you!!!!!!!

growly tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 12:23 am   Permalink

man, this thread makes me nauseous.
I agree that it seems extremely unlikely that a (beautiful)solid wood tiki was completely destroyed.
Maybe the box had damage, probably including the shipping label & someone took home an amazing souvenir.
Being powerless & at the mercy of vague answers & corporate policy sucks ass.
I'd hammer them mercilessly about it.
It's never over until it's over, so best of luck!
I hope there is a happy ending to this story.

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 05:14 am   Permalink

Silverline, it was Not on that truck as the last entry in their tracking read: "Departed FedEx location, Lewisberry, PA, Feb 16th, 12:22AM".
It could have been Another truck accident I don't know. Are they always so secretive about their losses?
Bewildered in Florida.
Midnight, if you know anyone or can be of any help, yes let me know. I am very upset over this and feel very violated and taken advantage of.
Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2006-02-22 05:16 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiTavi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 05:28 am   Permalink

I hate to say it but if you want answers, you have to be annoying. Do you have a local TV station who has one of those irritating consumer advocates? You know the type I'm talking about? The one who gets on the phone and tries to solve your problem and then sends a camera crew out to the business just to torture the owners/managers?

Here's my suggestion: Call the Fedex office you shipped from and tell them you are contacting one of these consumer advocates tomorrow morning since they have been unable to help you. If they seem oblivious to what a consumer advocate is, give them a few hints; annoying calls, camera crews, etc.. The "tomorrow" is key since it will give them a little time to get some answers and call you back and avoid the public humiliation.

TTT

View Profile of TikiTikiTavi Send a personal message to TikiTikiTavi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiTavi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 05:35 am   Permalink

http://www.local6.com/money/2514373/detail.html

I don't know how close you are to central Florida but they have a "Problem Solvers" team at this link. Fedex is a big fish and they would probably love to tackle this one rather than a comsumer who had their roof replaced by a fly-by-night company.

TTT

View Profile of TikiTikiTavi Send a personal message to TikiTikiTavi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 05:35 am   Permalink

Maybe we need to start a letter writing campaign to Fed Ex management demanding an explanation about what happened to our friend's art work and threatening a grassroots boycott of FED EX by ebay users. Maybe a couple hundred letters to the CEO would get their butts in gear. Where do we write?
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 07:36 am   Permalink

Hey Ben,

sorry to hear about the "total loss" of the carving. He was a beaut.

Everyone here has given such great advice and I completely agree with the advocate idea.

Here's my 2 cents....we ship a TON with ups and fedex (about 200 packages a day...tractor trailer comes in and takes the stuff away) and because of this high volume, we're given "preffered customer" status...whatever that means.

The only benefit I see to our "preffered" status, is that for UPS I have a direct line to a CSR (no such luck with Fedex or I'd give it to you!) and anytime a problem arises, I call the csr or our sales rep, and it gets solved, and solved quick.

I realize you arent shipping to this magnitude, but if you used a mailboxes etc, or a fedex store to ship it, THEY certainly have that kind of clout. If you shipped it on your own, it might be a little harder to get any results.

If you used a shipping store, I'd go right down there and refuse to leave until you're satisfied with an answer. If you don't get one by day's end, come back the next day with a camera crew (even if you just have some friends dress up & play newsman!!).

If you shiped it on your own, I might be able to help if you want to give me the tracking number. I'm not sure.... because I'm not the shipper or the recipient they may not share any info with me.

Best of luck, and don't give up!

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2006-02-22 07:37 ]

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation