FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tikisobayli Projects 12-9-09 Wow...Three Years and Finally a New Project!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tikisobayli Projects 12-9-09 Wow...Three Years and Finally a New Project!
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 06:57 am   Permalink

Well, here goes nothing! Here are a few pictures of my Marquesan style tiki. As you can see, it is still in progress but I thought that it might help to see it as it progresses. I know that many of the work-in-progress posts have helped alot.

Plan drawing:

Initial Layout:

Rough Out: (as it stands this morning)

As you can see, the log is a little wonky at the top but I think that it enhances the upper eyes which I have to say is my favorite aspect of the Marquesan style. Anyway, I will continue to chip away at it over the next few days. Hopefully this weekend I can start to apply a finish to it. Speaking of finish, I have started thinking about how to go about it to give it that more authentic look, so any advice you might pass along would be great.

[ This Message was edited by: tikisobayli 2006-06-17 19:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikisobayli 2009-12-09 07:26 ]

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 07:38 am   Permalink

That's a very handsome fellow. Evil spirits won't mess with your house!
Keep posting.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 1:40 pm   Permalink

For a first carving that is a very nice job.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 4:36 pm   Permalink

Wonky Logs make great tikis. Looks like he is gonna be killer. Excellent first tiki.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 4:48 pm   Permalink

man, now i wish I could carve...geez. Very nice job. Your obviously a talented craftsman.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 06:34 am   Permalink

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Ben, it means alot to hear your kind words coming from the master. I think rule number one for wanna-be carvers is just to get out there and start hacking away. I mean with just about every stroke, you learn more and more how to use the tools.

I spent most of yesterday working on it and made quite a bit of progress. I will post some larger pictures hopefully later this afternoon. It looks like this weekend I will be able to start putting on the final finish. Now to start searching through Creating to find some hints. I thought that BK had a good thread about applying finishes. I'll have to find that one. Again, thanks for the encouragement!

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 08:40 am   Permalink

very nice.

what kind of wood is that?

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 09:05 am   Permalink

Nice Tiki, and for a first that's incredible. I'll PM you with some of my humble techniques on finish for what it's worth!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 10:11 am   Permalink

Thanks BK for the help...I think that I speak for everyone on here that you and Benzart are a great help and resource. As far as the wood, I believe its poplar. When Katrina can through our way it knocked down a bunch of trees in our backyard. So, the first thing that popped into my mind was "Hey! Tiki Wood!!". So I cut the longest straightest portions. I have a few more but only about 2.5'-3' tall. This one measures in at just about 4.75'.

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-02 11:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-02 09:05, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Nice Tiki, and for a first that's incredible. I'll PM you with some of my humble techniques on finish for what it's worth!

Hey BK - I'd like to see your notes on finishing too! Can you post them or PM me with that?

Thanks in advance!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 11:24 am   Permalink

I agree. Very nice stuff. Don't rush it though, wait until it is really done before you start applying finish. After you think you are done carving/sanding, set it aside for a day or two and then see if you still think you are finished. Good luck, and please post pics of it when you are done.

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-02 12:59 pm   Permalink

Awsome way to make the best out of a very bad situation, bro. REcycle all the wood you can find and let the tikis loose

amazing first carving - most first timers (like I did) start with just a tiki head, but you dove right in and did a full body. That ain't no easy task when you're still learning how to use the tools too! Thanks for sharing and keep the tikis coming!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 7:18 pm   Permalink

I like that---nice job! His 'wonkiness' evokes motion-makes him look almost alive. Post more pics (BIGGER ones).

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 04:17 am   Permalink

Cool, The wonky look gives him an individual look

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-04 03:13 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone for the continuing encouragement. I do have to agree with Surf and Turf, my fiance said the same thing. She's the real artist of the family, but when you see him in person, the upper half takes on movement. Well, here is the guy just after his final sanding and he's just about ready to take his stain bath. I did just a bit more work on the interior line on the nose after this picture was taken to clean it up a bit.

Front View:

Side View:

Today he will begin to take on some color...I'll keep you updated.

[ This Message was edited by: tikisobayli 2006-03-04 03:17 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation