FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tikisobayli Projects 12-9-09 Wow...Three Years and Finally a New Project!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tikisobayli Projects 12-9-09 Wow...Three Years and Finally a New Project!
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-05 11:02 am   Permalink

Here are some pics of the Marquesan Tiki done and in his rightful place.

Outside just after final finish layer:

I was a bit worried while the stain was drying as it had a mush redder color then I wanted. But, after drying, the color calmed down and is pretty close to what I was going for:

And finally, here he is in his new home, The Wiki Wiki Room:

All in all, he turned out really good for my first attempt. I'm very happy with the results and he really makes a difference in the Wiki Wiki Room. So, I have started working out the next tiki. I will post some of it once I get started. It is going to be a bit more whimsical but not cartoony! Again, thanks to everyone for the help! I hoep that one day I will be able to return the favor.

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-05 11:42 am   Permalink

He looks great. He needs a name. (marq?).
I guess you're an addict now. What's next?

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-05 12:07 pm   Permalink

that's really sweet. I'd deffinately buy one of those guys from ya.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-05 12:18 pm   Permalink

Great tiki! Great room!

You have many talents.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-05 2:39 pm   Permalink

Looks great, fantastic stain on it. Funny how it looks even better in it's rightful place!

View Profile of hmc Send a personal message to hmc  Goto the website of hmc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-05 4:33 pm   Permalink

Nice job, man.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-05 5:48 pm   Permalink

Nice job, he'll be happy in that wonderful room. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-05 6:00 pm   Permalink

Very nice Marq. Nice clean job. He looks wonderful in your tiki room. Be careful, carving is addictive and you may need to expand your tiki space if you continue - or you could make pendants.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-07 07:17 am   Permalink

Thanks for the words of encouragement. We had a few people over on Sunday and the ones that knew what I was up to were interested in seeing what I came up with. They were all amazed at what someone can do with a bit of time and some desire. Anyway, as for the name I named it Nuku Hiva after one of the islands in the Marquesas. So one to the next one.

My next project is concerned with one of my favorite images that has popped up on Tiki Central. Some of you might remember the perfect image blending atomic and tiki themes that Virani posted awhile ago in the Tiki Finds thread. For those of you that do not, here is a copy of the image:

I have always loved this image. So for the next project, I am going to pay "tribute" to the image and attempt to create a grouping of three tikis that give off a similar spirit that is found in the original image. Here is the first picture of the layout and rough mouth cutout:

This one is just under 3' and again is poplar. This time I started with the rough mouth cutout and established a center line off of it so the rest of the guy will be centered on the mouth. Here is a picture of the initial body rough out cuts:

I do not have a side view picture yet, but this one to is a bit wonky. So, with this one I used that to my advantage. If looking at the tiki in profile, you see that starting from about 6" up from the bottom, the log begins to curve back. This really makes a difference and really helps with portraying the movement in the original image.

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-07 09:07 am   Permalink

Sweetness! I have to do one of these. Nice work!

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-07 6:41 pm   Permalink

Cool Marquesan. This style of tiki is really growing on me. Carvings like yours only helps

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-09 6:48 pm   Permalink

TS--are you 'wonky-tonkin' again? That's gonna look real cool when your done, I'm thinkin'. Can't wait to see the trio together.
PS- save me wunna them large dog bones you got back there behind your carving!!!

SnT

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-09 7:38 pm   Permalink

Really nice start. I can't wait to see more.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 05:52 am   Permalink

Thanks to the folks that are keeping an eye on my progress. SnT, You'll have to ask our dog Pizmo about the cookies, but I think she might let you have one if you really want one. Also, I agree about the grouping of three. So many of the tikis I have seen carved here and in other places are singular in nature. I think the three together will add something to them as they get ready for that great atomic power!
Hewey, I have to agree, the more you look at the Marquesan style the more you love it. It just jumps at you with this real traditional look yet is just different enough to grab your attention. The symmetry and motifs are just amazing. I have to say, that of all the Polynesian traditions, the Marquesas have to be my favorite.

Here are some update pictures of the first of my Atomic Tikis. The initial rough out cuts are just about finished. I still have some shaping to finish around the head dress and mouth, but hoepfully I can get that knocked off today. Here is a front view:

Side View:

In the profile view, you can really get a sense of the curve in the log. I think it works out very well with the Atomic tiki and really helps in replicating the image. It adds a real sense of "playfulness" and motion to him.

As an aside, while working on these guys, I have been thinking about the differences between modern carvers/tikis and traditional carvers/tikis. Beside the obvious differences (e.g. tools and temporal difference), it has dawned on me that traditional carvers were more focused on the image and the spirit of the tiki while modern carvers pay attention to the same thing. Modern carvers challenge, in a sense, is to impart a sense of personality to the tiki. Just a thought, I'm sure that many carvers on here have similar odd thoughts while working.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 06:13 am   Permalink

I can see already, Obayli, that this guy is going to be Another Excellent carving, Especially for your Second tiki??
Keep'em coming.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation