FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tikisobayli Projects 12-9-09 Wow...Three Years and Finally a New Project!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tikisobayli Projects 12-9-09 Wow...Three Years and Finally a New Project!
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 11:38 am   Permalink

Here is the latest project. Layout and roughout cuts are complete:

The lower face is cut out, just don't have a picture of it. This one is going pretty fast and should be onto the sanding tomorrow.
Jeff

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 1:33 pm   Permalink

Cool picture of Norm. Is it autographed?

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 12:22 pm   Permalink

I missed the sali finished you posted a few weeks ago. Nice. How did the marq turn out after stain?

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 3:33 pm   Permalink

Nice stuff, Obayli...keep on 'choppin!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 3:40 pm   Permalink

Hey, is that an autographed picture of Bob Villa on your workshop wall? Damn...I want one!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 3:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-02 15:40, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Hey, is that an autographed picture of Bob Villa on your workshop wall? Damn...I want one!

It's either Bob Villa, that other guy that used to work with him who now has his own show, or it's Mike Watt. It's hard to tell.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 3:53 pm   Permalink

By the way, I think your tikis look terrific. I don't have the tools yet to try a big tiki, but when I do I hope they turn out half as good as yours did.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-03 05:15 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone for the comments. The tiki is just about ready to be sanded after some final detail work. This one is turning out really nice I think. I am going to be trying a new staining method on this one that I have been testing. I think it is going to give it a great finished look. Here are a couple shots as of this morning:

JohnnyP- The stain on that last Marq turned out really good. The combination of stain and torch work on the pine gave him a nice contrast in the final coloration. Here is a link to the final product:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19130&forum=12&4

As far as the picture on the wall, yes it is Norm. It is autographed and everyone with a shop needs one. I'd like to say that Norm is a personal friend but, I will let you in on my "secret" method for obtaining his signature:

http://www.newyankee.com/drygoods2.shtml

Check out the site. It has a wealth of information and also a schedule and cam so one can watch the New Yankee Workshop being filmed.

Lastly, here is a shot of some blanks for some upcoming projects. Again, these are from almost 2" thick oak floorboards from an old cotton warehouse. Man, I wish I could have a ton of this stock.

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: tikisobayli 2006-05-03 05:52 ]

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-03 8:02 pm   Permalink

Well, the 3 footer is just about done. I stained this one darker then I normally do and it turned out real nice. You can't see as much of the grain as in others, execpt for the back, but it does have an old-timey look. Here is a pic:

For a couple more pics or the opportunity to get this one, check out this thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19373&forum=12&0

Jeff

tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-20 04:30 am   Permalink

Here is the latest project. This one was going fast until a nasty flu bug hit me. But after about two weeks, he is just about ready for his stain bath. This one is going to be darker like the last one. Here are a couple pictures:

I will post a couple more once I get the finish on in the next couple days. Enjoy!

Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-20 5:31 pm   Permalink

nice! I like him!

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-20 5:48 pm   Permalink

I think you've hit a hit! Very original and still drips with vintage tiki mana...love them.

kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-20 6:08 pm   Permalink

here are two of tikisobayli's tikis guarding the flanks of the coco joe's, hips, and various others tiki army.

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-20 7:30 pm   Permalink

Wow, he's looking really nice. Wish I could have made it to your place last week, next time for sure when we stay longer.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-22 05:44 am   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words all. This one might be the last one I can do for a little bit as we are in the middle of a move. Last night we finished packing up or tiki room. Pretty sad to look into the room now. We never would have guessed, but we had over 15 large boxes full of tiki. Now let's just hope they all make it safe. We are moving to Atlanta this weekend. The new house has a decent shop in the basement and a nice backyard for carving. So keep an eye out, I hope to start carving again ASAP once we get set up over there.

Bullet, thanks for posting the pic of the two guys watching over all the little ones. Glad that you are enjoying them and again, Thanks!

This one is just about done, I just need to add the final topcoat. Will post a pic later of the finished product.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation