FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tropical Bistro, Hilliard, OH (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Tropical Bistro, Hilliard, OH (restaurant)
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

This is exactly why the Fraternal Order of the Moai was created.

Sorry to derail this slightly, but I should clarify this a bit so people don't get confused..

The FOM was originally formed for a number of reasons that had nothing to do with TC at all. The FOM remains an unrelated entity with it's own purpose and goals, 99.9% of which are completely disimilar to the goals of TC as I understand them. TC is a one stop resource for tiki information, the FOM is a tiki themed fraternal order.

Now, to perhaps restructure what Joe has said in a way that fits with the reasons some of our members have joined our ranks, while still holding true to facts about the FOM:

"This is exactly why I joined the Fraternal Order of Moai."

Not coming down on you here Joe, you are a Fellow Moai and I support you on everything said here, but I want to make sure non-Moai do not form opinions of the Order based on non-facts about our founding.

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 12:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-29 22:06, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
...it's about the total vibe for me and it encompasses everything involved.

But you canned the place having looked at pictures. Jeff said in his first post how he was taken by the live music and good drinks, etc. and you canned it based on pictures.

Quote:
...I would hate to see us sell it out from under ourselves because we got lazy and settled for less...after all, that's how tiki nearly died the first time around

It died the first time due to changing tastes mainly. It also suffered even in the day from a great idea being taken and copied, each copy being one step poorer than the original.

Here you have someone saying the drinks are quality and the food is quality and the service is quality and the atmosphere is great and you say you wouldn't fart in the place because of the lack of decor. That just does not add up.

It's not about balls. If you have the money to open a place in an existing building and put decor you alreeady own on the walls, that does not mean you have the money to pay people thousands of dollars to decorate. I don't know where you get that idea. Nor do I understand the notion you have to go balls out to succeed. There are blue plate greasy spoons with zero decor that have been in business for decades.

It just seems like a lot of attitude.

Quote:
jeff...so in an attitude 100% humor and happy tiki spirits, i say 2 thumbs to you my friend...right up your butt.

Nice.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 3:56 pm   Permalink

.[/quote]
But you canned the place having looked at pictures. Jeff said in his first post how he was taken by the live music and good drinks, etc. and you canned it based on pictures.

i've also never been to the caliente tropics and i think the place is outstanding....yes, based on pictures!!! I guess it's just a talent i have...

It also suffered even in the day from a great idea being taken and copied, each copy being one step poorer than the original.

hmmmmm..sounds suspiciously like what the bistro is up to.....

Here you have someone saying the drinks are quality and the food is quality and the service is quality and the atmosphere is great and you say you wouldn't fart in the place because of the lack of decor. That just does not add up.

I hear the out-back steakhouse has great drinks, great service and great food too, but guess what??......

also,

I never said lack of decor was the issue, just that the total package doesn't seem appealing....I felt it was weak...big deal.

It's not about balls.

it's always about balls...

If you have the money to open a place in an existing building and put decor you alreeady own on the walls, that does not mean you have the money to pay people thousands of dollars to decorate.

you're right, it means you're cheap and lack vision....okay, just kidding..I never had a problem with the reuse of decor...

I don't know where you get that idea. Nor do I understand the notion you have to go balls out to succeed. There are blue plate greasy spoons with zero decor that have been in business for decades.

I don't see your connection between greasy spoons and tiki bars...

It just seems like a lot of attitude.

..maybe....but it sure is fun isn't it!!!

[quote]jeff...so in an attitude 100% humor and happy tiki spirits, i say 2 thumbs to you my friend...right up your butt.

Nice.

...c'mon...does everything have to have such a serious tone???

look, I'm not trying bring anyone down here...i voiced my opinion (which is all it is,) in hopes of some lively discussion..I'm sorry if it wasn't what anyone wanted to hear...sometimes it takes throwin' something out there to see what other's may think about it....there's always different ways of lookin at it.....anyway, my tirade was part serious and part goof...sorry it got off track...

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dimethios
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 7:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I will offer up one great example, though. The Tonga Room here in San Francisco seriously rivals the Mai Kai in the looks department. It's stunningly gorgeous. Palapa huts, 15' tikis, a lagoon in the middle complete with rainstorms, a lava-rock backed bar -- it has to be seen to be believed.

But it sucks ass. Seriously, we have a terrible time there. The food is terrible, the drinks are terrible,

Sounds like Hale Kahiki to me. Place looks fab, out of this world top notch tiki bar, but as JT himself would say, "get drinks at the Chef", then head over to Hale to check it out. Parking there sucks, long waits, no food and drinks there I swear are virgins. 4 mai tais and 1 zombie later and no buzz... hmmm somthings wrong. So just because the Bistro doesnt have massive tiki looks YET, doesn't mean squat.

View Profile of Dimethios Send a personal message to Dimethios      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 05:31 am   Permalink

The Tropical Bistro is having an Easter Luau Buffett on April 16th if anyone is interested. Over 40 different menu items including a roast pig for only $11.95. Definitely a good deal!! Live Hawaiian music too!!

In other news, I talked to the owners the other day and they definitely want more Tiki!!! Theang said that the two golden lions have to go because they look qoute " too Chinese." Tikiskip and I even talked about changing some of the lighting inside as well and those cartoony things leftover from Mark Pi's. This is all very good news. I have put him in touch with a local carver so we will see what happens.

Come on out and celebrate Easter Hawaiian style!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 05:58 am   Permalink

alright jeff!

it's nice to see someone actually going out and making positive changes instead of sitting in an ivory tower and griping

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 07:32 am   Permalink

Hey jeff, lunch was great. And free! You can't beat that. They started to get a nice crowd when we left. It would be great to see some of chisels work in there. Your tiki pad is way cool too! Thanks for showing me your huge collection.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 09:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-07 05:58, Johnny Dollar wrote:
alright jeff!

it's nice to see someone actually going out and making positive changes instead of sitting in an ivory tower and griping

....it's a bamboo tower goddamnit!!! LOL ... and when you've been in the trenches as long as I, a certain amount of griping is to be expected ....I only bitch because I care....

and further more, how dare you condemn me without having the slightest clue as to what i have contributed to tiki over the years,..... cheerleader!!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 09:57 am   Permalink

zeus 2: electric boogaloo

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 10:18 am   Permalink

Hey Tipsy,

If you want to bitch because you care, please do it somewhere else. I am sure you have made hororable contributions to the tiki community but this is not the place to blow off steam. We are making positive strides over here to bring back at least a small piece of the Kahiki and that's what we are going to do. They definitely have a good start and they also have a lot of positive support.

Thanks,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 10:23 am   Permalink

!!!hooray jeff!!!

[rustles pom-poms, does a cartwheel]

sorry, i couldn't resist, LOL

tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 10:38 am   Permalink

"It's nice to be nice to the nice" Quote, Frank burns/ Mash.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 11:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-07 10:18, Jeff Central wrote:
Hey Tipsy,

If you want to bitch because you care, please do it somewhere else. I am sure you have made hororable contributions to the tiki community but this is not the place to blow off steam. We are making positive strides over here to bring back at least a small piece of the Kahiki and that's what we are going to do. They definitely have a good start and they also have a lot of positive support.

Thanks,
Jeff

.....awright... point taken. **sigh**......maybe there's another thread I can harp on.....damn, and I was having fun too.....oh well....

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 11:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-07 05:31, Jeff Central wrote:
Come on out and celebrate Easter Hawaiian style!!!

Doncha mean, celebrate Easter, Island style.

har har.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-08 06:10 am   Permalink

Die thread, die!

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation