FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tropical Bistro, Hilliard, OH (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Tropical Bistro, Hilliard, OH (restaurant)
stunrut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-10 11:37 pm   Permalink

I'll be there ASAP!!! I can't wait. Hopefully I can go after work wednesday.

Sweet!!!

View Profile of stunrut Send a personal message to stunrut  Email stunrut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-27 1:40 pm   Permalink

Stopped by on Friday and just missed the lunch buffet- was pleased with the starts of what could be a new treasure in Columbus. I had the Tahitian Mermaid and my wahine had the Flaming Terriaki Sword, which was well presented table side. I wish I had brought my camera.. They have started a Happy Tiki Hour that begins at 9p with half price drinks (daily?).

With a little creativity this place could easily be converted to a full-on tiki paradise! Would be great to meet there for a happy hour one of these days.

[ This Message was edited by: Capt'n Skully 2006-09-11 20:11 ]

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-27 2:00 pm   Permalink

Let me know when you want to meet up Capt'n. Me and the rest of the FOM don't need any more invitation than HALF OFF drinks!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Tiki Hour!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Teko

Posted: 2006-09-10 10:40 am   Permalink

I've noticed that the Kahiki website and blog both point visitors to the Tropical Bistro, now, and with the recent closing of the Kahiki Outlet in Gahanna, the remaining Kahiki furnishings are now unused. Maybe this is just wishful thinking... but I don't see any reason that Tropical Bistro couldn't fully inherit what's left of the old Kahiki. Nothing will bring the old Supper Club back in its glory, but I'd be happy with a small successful Son-of-Kahiki.

View Profile of Teko Send a personal message to Teko      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-10 5:50 pm   Permalink

The furnishings were sold at the end, None are left. Tropical Bistro got all of the tables.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Teko

Posted: 2006-09-11 3:14 pm   Permalink

Just to be clear, did they sell all of the Outlet Store furnishings as well? I was there a few weeks after they closed (mid-July), and in the darkness inside I could see tiki masks on the walls, bamboo chairs, and most importantly, the fountain from the foyer. I have some photos of what was left. Was that all sold off (and to who?!) or was it stored with things like the huge Kahiki fireplace?

View Profile of Teko Send a personal message to Teko      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-11 7:30 pm   Permalink

The Kahiki factory still has ALOT of stuff at thier office. On display. Its all over the place. They did not have a sale of Kahiki items since July. That was mostly lamps. I do not know if they will sell items from the factory or not.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-24 09:28 am   Permalink

Just added an album of pix from a night last June we had at the Tropical Bistro with the Ohio Ohana - http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/tropical-bistro

There are actually more Tiki goodies tucked in the Bistro, Turtle shells, a pole or two etc, and other small details that are not pictured here.

You can catch glimpses of some of the other Tiki goodies and the eventual home of the chisel slinger Tiki here- http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/HRHH2-Bistro in our album of pix from the Hot Rod Hula Hop's first night at the Bistro from last August

Enjoy your virtual visits!

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hula Cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-25 06:23 am   Permalink

my gal and I (who are still working on a in depth book about the Kahiki) have,in our travels to Columbus, eaten (and drank) with pleasure here......I had the"mermaid" twice and it was perfectly tender and delicious.....Melissa, who's a plant and fish eater remarked on my many happy mmmmms as akin to shared "personal" moments......it was fantastic!! the drinks were well presented and strong enough. ( I did notice a discernible difference depending upon who was bar tending) The staff and owners were friendly and attentive....the place clean and attractive, with many elements of the great Kahiki evident.....while they were small touches and mixed with Chinese restaurant decor ,the overall effect was pleasant......multi leveled booths and nooks,cool lamps,gorgeous monkey pod wood tables (from the Kahiki ).......my suggestion would be for them to try an experiment..... doing a part of the restaurant as pure Tiki/poly pop, the rest the slick Chinese and be amazed at how the tiki sections would ROCK!!(=make$) .....dim the lights !, keep the drinks strong and fresh , and hide the TV in the asian section!......we know what we want ! and that's a magical escape.....we'll help!!....we like you guys!!!!

View Profile of Hula Cat Send a personal message to Hula Cat  Email Hula Cat Goto the website of Hula Cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stunrut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 10:50 am   Permalink

When last I was at Tropical Bistro I saw a sign that they were soon to close for a while for remodeling! I took this as a good (great!) sign of things (Tiki things) to come.

Does anyone know if this is complete?

View Profile of stunrut Send a personal message to stunrut  Email stunrut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-02 7:17 pm   Permalink

I am alos very curious about this renovation. I am going to be home on mid tour leave at the end of October and had wanted to visit this place. It is a bit of a drive(about 80 miles). Are their any dishes or drinks that are unique to their that are must haves?

View Profile of Dan Send a personal message to Dan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-02 8:21 pm   Permalink

That was an old sign. The renovation is done.
And Dan let me know when you come and we will meet you there.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 13:47 ]

Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-04 02:33 am   Permalink

When I get a concrete date, I will most assuredly let the info out.

View Profile of Dan Send a personal message to Dan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Teko

Posted: 2006-10-04 10:05 am   Permalink

Did anybody see the abysmal review of Tropical Bistro in the Columbus Dispatch last week?

It's very disappointing to see a review like this just as I was planning a visit with my Kahiki-loving parents, but here are some choice quotes:

"The sushi hasn't been particularly fresh-tasting, and its availability has been hit-or-miss."

"The Diamond Head Curry...barely hints of curry. Pass on this."

"Nothing in the imperial seafood stir-fry has a stir-fried quality. Pass on this."

"The "island bar-b-que" spare ribs...are very fatty and lacking barbequed aspects...tasting of nothing more than boiled pork. Pass on this."

"A desperation order of sweet-and-sour pork... is disappointing. The cubes of pork... have no flavor other than dull."

"There is no discernable reason to eat here."

In my dad's words, this is by far the worst restaurant review he's ever seen in the Dispatch. I want to love this place, can folks prove the Dispatch wrong?

Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-04 10:46 am   Permalink

That review was way off the mark and pretty nasty to say the least- Christensen missed out on the "signature" dishes which is a huge shame..

The meals I've had there have been wonderful! I'm glad there is something like it in town.

Disregard that review and try it for yourself!

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation