FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tropical Bistro, Hilliard, OH (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Tropical Bistro, Hilliard, OH (restaurant)
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 10:17 am   Permalink

Good news-

Tropical Bistro is going to do some minor renovations and switch to a polynesian theme! This will help the ambience of the place..

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stunrut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-30 10:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-04 10:05, Teko wrote:
Did anybody see the abysmal review of Tropical Bistro in the Columbus Dispatch last week?

It's very disappointing to see a review like this just as I was planning a visit with my Kahiki-loving parents, but here are some choice quotes:

"The sushi hasn't been particularly fresh-tasting, and its availability has been hit-or-miss."

"The Diamond Head Curry...barely hints of curry. Pass on this."

"Nothing in the imperial seafood stir-fry has a stir-fried quality. Pass on this."

"The "island bar-b-que" spare ribs...are very fatty and lacking barbequed aspects...tasting of nothing more than boiled pork. Pass on this."

"A desperation order of sweet-and-sour pork... is disappointing. The cubes of pork... have no flavor other than dull."

"There is no discernable reason to eat here."

In my dad's words, this is by far the worst restaurant review he's ever seen in the Dispatch. I want to love this place, can folks prove the Dispatch wrong?

I agree with Capt'n Skully. Try it yourself. I am constantly amazed at the quality of the food every time I visit. My wife and I usually get the lunch buffett and the selections are always very fresh and delicious. The variety changes constantly.

It's my favorite in the Columbus area and not just for its tikiness.

P.S. That lunch buffett is a $5 buffett!!!

[ This Message was edited by: stunrut 2006-11-30 10:04 ]

View Profile of stunrut Send a personal message to stunrut  Email stunrut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-30 8:00 pm   Permalink

I just helped them add 10 new tiki lights. Thatch/ Matting all over the bar.
And lots more bamboo everywhere. Plus two palm trees from the Kahiki.
Big ones! Five new tiki masks.
They now have their own mug.

So it's way more tiki now.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 08:26 am   Permalink

Hey gang will any of you be around on Friday the 22nd or over the pre-Christmas weekend? I am flying in for the holidays and definitely wanted to check out Tropical Bistro and hopefully meet up with some of the Buckeye Ohana.

Matt

p.s. FEAR the sweater vest!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-01 09:26 am   Permalink

I will meet you there. I live five mins away.
Let us know via this thread.
We may stop over at my place for a drink as well.

John.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 09:37 am   Permalink

Mahalo,

I get in earlier in the day on Friday and may shoot over there for lunch with my Mum when she picks me up from Port Columbus. It might be more fun if I dropped my stuff of at home (Mt. Vernon) and then came back over to meet up with you guys at a more civilized hour for cocktails. What are your thoughts?

Matt

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-01 1:03 pm   Permalink

That sounds good.
Be sure to ask for the Mai Tai,
Or the Polynesian spell.
If you have a drink.
Both are good.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-06-29 06:55 ]

rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-04 3:28 pm   Permalink

Skip,

Thanks for the 411 on mentioning the FOM. I usually end up partying with FOM guys at Hukilau and/or Tiki Oasis. Actually since my flight gets in at 9:30 we may head straight back to Mt. Vernon in which case I will be able to drive back to C-bus earlier in the evening to join you for happy hour. Would it be better to meet you at TB or should I stop by your guys place first?

Mele Kalikimaka

Matt

hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-22 11:19 am   Permalink

really need to plan a trip out there....maybe this years hula hop??

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-22 1:28 pm   Permalink

We will be there tonight.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-06-29 06:53 ]

exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-22 1:52 pm   Permalink

Hey yah hala bullhiki!
come on out for HRHH! Good times! I went to the Tropical Bistro last August, and can't wait to go back to see all the new decor. Lots of enhancements from what I hear.

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-22 3:42 pm   Permalink

This is just a small sample of the latest upgrades to the Bistro.............

Notice the cool picture by Capt'n Skully behind the bar!!

Cheers,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-31 08:45 am   Permalink

"Notice the cool picture by Capt'n Skully behind the bar!!'

I put up the new lights, over ten.
Put in the back lit masks and matting and lots more, and all you see is Skullys picture!
Thanks for the props Jeff.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-10 13:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2013-08-15 03:56 ]

Kilty McTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-05 1:53 pm   Permalink

Hi all,

I'm a new member of this forum, but I wanted to throw in a newbie's point of view on the Tropical Bistro if I may.

My family and I went out to TB on Saturday night for dinner (around 6:00) and we all had a great time. Like you who have been there, I'm somewhat at a loss for what exactly the Dispatch critic was talking about as we all really enjoyed it, and my wife is kicking me for discovering it just after we discovered we're having another kid... She really wanted to try some of the drinks.

I had the Suffering Bastard (okay, two of 'em) and the Malagasy New York Steak, and it was really good. Not too heavy on the sauce (the steak, not the drink) and cooked really well. My wife had the aforementioned Tahitian Mermaid and she loved it. My folks and my brother and his wife all enjoyed their meals immensely as well, though I don't remember exactly what they had.

For those of you who have kids, my two-year old had a great time, too, checking out all the decorations (some of which I vaguely remember from my first and only trip to the Kahiki back about six months before it closed). His eyes got big as saucers when they brought out his smoking punch (fruit punch drink with "smoke" coming from a glass in the center of it - I wish we had brought the camera!) and he enjoyed his dinner a lot, too. The service was really good and friendly, and the place was busy the whole time we were there (about 6-8:15 or so).

I thought the bar looked fantastic... I really wanted to sit down and settle in for the evening but my pregnant wife wasn't quite ready for that, for whatever reason. The other decorations in the place were good, though they did give a little bit of the impression of being a lot of authentic decorations on a not-so-authentic wall. That didn't take anything away from the experience. The golden lions they talked about are still there, but they did "tiki 'em up" a bit with leis, straw hats, etc. Sort of funny that way...

All in all, we're making plans to go back again for Sunday brunch on occasion and maybe for some dinners as well. It's a tad harder to plan this stuff with kids, but we're going to try!

View Profile of Kilty McTiki Send a personal message to Kilty McTiki  Email Kilty McTiki Goto the website of Kilty McTiki ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Boxman

Posted: 2007-06-13 2:31 pm   Permalink

Here are some of my pics from a recent trip to "The Bistro" I bought a bunch of mugs to start my collection. The skull mug is actually from the Kahiki as it is etched into the bottom.

http://bgsu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2114615&l=8db70&id=20901907

(You don't need to be registered to Facebook to look)
Mug Collection: http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/collection.cgi?mode=gallery&user_id=823

View Profile of Boxman Send a personal message to Boxman  Email Boxman Goto the website of Boxman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation