FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki I just bought...(Tiny Tiki Pencil Toppers Page 3!!!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
I just bought...(Tiny Tiki Pencil Toppers Page 3!!!)
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 07:00 am   Permalink

i just read a couple of Bungy's stories, and those are pretty awesome. They knew Donn the Beachcomber?!! That's so awesome. i'll have to keep an eye on that thread.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 08:13 am   Permalink

Hey Pocky,

Here is a rule of thumb that I follow when it comes to TC. Because TC is the largest and most up to date source (by the sec.) of all things tiki, usually if what you are showing from the market isn't breaking news that hasn't been posted that day, then its probably old news to tiki lovers.

But you never know what some people have seen and some haven't. Although, I have some of thoses pencil toppers from months ago, they have not been posted for all to see. What we do know is that what you make or think has yet to be seen before.

I'm surprised most of the time that there aren't post of the most current releases of different mugs. I guess if we posted all of Munktikis or Tikifarms or whomever mugs then, we would just be doing their work for them. I don't know.

Just keep posting, I read everything you post and like to see into other tiki people's lives.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 08:30 am   Permalink

well isn't that sort of the point? To have people view what you, the collector, have?

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 08:35 am   Permalink

yes, yes it is.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 08:56 am   Permalink

additionally, i feel that the tc community favors quality over quantity when it comes what we share of our collections.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 09:16 am   Permalink

well haven't I heard that numerous times. Hinting at something are we? lol

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 09:17 am   Permalink

Johnny you took the words right out of my mouth...

Look at my Tiki Toilet Brush and matching shower curtain rings

I suppose its a learning curve to learn what and when to post (I claim no perfection in this regard).

I was at party city last night for St. Pats day decor and they had TONS of Luau decorations. NONE of it would be worthwhile to post as a "find".

Honest we are trying to help.

[ This Message was edited by: monkeyman 2006-03-17 09:28 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaikaina
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-17 10:03 am   Permalink

I moved this to the other "I just bought..." thread.

[ This Message was edited by: Kaikaina 2006-03-17 10:19 ]

View Profile of Kaikaina Send a personal message to Kaikaina  Email Kaikaina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 11:41 am   Permalink

quality over quantity or just quality

I was thinking while I was out that a pencil topper to someone in school here is like a Witco living room set for a wealthier man in the west. Something like that.

Its the state of where your at- Physically and economically. But in creating, those playing fields are lessened. Make something better than you can find.

PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 4:02 pm   Permalink

to me when my g/f found them, i was hysterical and laughing so hard. So i bought em, and they are now decoartion around my computer.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 3:12 pm   Permalink

Here is a prize question:

Which of those pencil top Tikis were ripped of from the BOT, and from which pages?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 4:23 pm   Permalink

I remember when I first found TC I was very excited to tell you all that you should watch Spongebob Squarepants because there was a ton of tiki in it. There were also several other posts by me that make me cringe when I think about them. Fortunately, everyone was very cool and I soon came to realize that there was a huge sub-culture that predated me by a good 30 to 40 years and that I should just sit back and observe for a while. Trying to carve helped me out a lot too. It seemed to make things more meaningful for me. Nowadays I drink Mai Tais in my own home bar and listen to music, both new and old, and smile ear to ear for hours on end with a very calm and satisfied (and slightly intoxicated) frame of mind.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here. I guess our friend Pocky will either turn into a discriminating tiki collector, or he will get bored and move on to something else. Either one is OK I suppose.

Please take no offense Pocky, that's not what I'm trying to do.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 4:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-21 15:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
Here is a prize question:

Which of those pencil top Tikis were ripped of from the BOT, and from which pages?

Awright, herre it is, kids, I know you are dieing to to find out:

The ORANGE one is from the black Aku Tiki Lounge mug on page 176...granted, this mug also exists from from other places, so, just like the PURPLE one, which is copied from an Islander/Lattitude 20 mug which is NOT in the book, it could be copied from someone's collection...
...BUT, looking at the BLUE one, it can only come from one place: Page 226, the black "wise guy" Tiki from the Playa Del Rey Polynesian Village Apartments....WHICH, in turn, makes it highly likely that the GREEN one is a stubby version of the famous Tropics Tongue Tiki from page 209 (note the palm root crew cut!)

Voila! I win...or wait, Accoutrements wins, darn!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 6:38 pm   Permalink

I agree that the whole collecting tiki thing is relative.

I mean, I don't think that you're a true tiki head unless you have a COLLECTION of ORIGINAL Shag art hey? Otherwise you're just not shwoing enough commitment.

But, I did see these cool tiki pencil erasers. I bought a whole pallet of them with the money I could have spent on my next commisioned Shag original. I might make a tiki ball room with a pit full of erasers for kids to play in. Kinda like a tiki equivalent of Scrooge McDucks money bin.

And bigbro - the author of the BoT should be honoured that so many people take inspiration from the BoT and create their own tiki creations as a direct result. Even if there probably a billion copyright infringements as a result...

Note to Pocky - Bigbro WROTE the BoT, literally! He has further developed tiki fever in more people in recent tiki history than anyone else. He is the tiki god and we are mere native savages...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 11:03 am   Permalink

*wears a loin cloth and dried grass accessories, and worships the god* hehe. Sorry if i like...enrage people with my silly little finds. I just thought they were cute, and do in fact look good sitting around my computer monitor. *shrugs* It's the nieve tiki native inside of me.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation