[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Monkeyman is hacking at the clay
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Monkeyman is hacking at the clay
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 8:50 pm   Permalink

I have been interested in making my own mug for a long time. With the introduction of my first drink last summer (The Monkeypod) I decided that it would be appropriate to make a companion mug.

I learned something very quickly. Sculpting is not easy (not that I ever thought it was) and is very different than carving.

The clay tears and dents and the tricks to shape it can be quite different. Anyway.... Here are some shots of the first prototype. I hope to get it right by the 3rd or 4th try.

The back of his head needs some work. He looks like he had a rough childhood falling off rooftops or something.

I am gladly taking advice from anyone with an aptitude for sculpting and ceramics. Reply to this thread.

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2006-03-10 20:54 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-11 01:10 am   Permalink

I believe you're gonna make a great mug we'll all cherish

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-11 05:12 am   Permalink

Very nice. I can only imagine sculpting the mug. It's great having your own personal mug for your bar. My fiance' made ours, but was a slab rolled base with hand carved accents.

Wiki Wiki Room Mug Thread

Over Christmas, she made a couple bowls for us aswell, but we are still waiting to get those fired. Back to the topic...Congratulations on a great personal mug...enjoy!

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-11 06:08 am   Permalink

Take your time and no regrets once you're finished.
Yeah, I know how you artists are. Tortured souls all.

"If only I could have..." is the mantra.

So... sculpt like the ultra-meticulous craftsman that you are and put me down for one.

Is your drink any good?

I need to try it.

[ This Message was edited by: pablus 2006-03-11 06:08 ]

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-11 4:31 pm   Permalink

Cool mug. Maybe make it a little more tribal?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-11 7:00 pm   Permalink

Maybe some Marquesan styled patterns around his cheeks?

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-11 7:20 pm   Permalink

Go, man, go! Hey...where are those Mai Kai photos?

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-11 7:49 pm   Permalink

which one?

This one

or this one?

Now give me some design pointers... or else.

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-12 9:20 pm   Permalink

God, what an ugly mug on that guy in the green shirt!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-13 09:49 am   Permalink

Yeah, I don't know which is Uglie, I think the Monkeypod guy is prettiest! Clay IS a whole different ballgame ain't it??

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scarysnarles
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-13 1:22 pm   Permalink

While clay is wet it is a very forgiving material. Dried out it'll break off chip & shatter. Keep a spray bottle full & keep the clay wrapped in a plastic bag as long as your working on it Spray it dialy unless you wish to work it in a more leatherhard state.. I gotta Hand it to you on the peanut shaped head you took off with! Did you even consider the basic straight cylinder shape? I beat my clay with a small stick into the abstact shapes. Using it for measuring the equal negative space between eyes ears chin etc.etc... . One end & side of the stick has measurments different for the opposite. I try to make 2-5 projects a week! Where are you firing are you taking classes! Keep 'em coming!!

View Profile of scarysnarles Send a personal message to scarysnarles  Email scarysnarles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-13 5:13 pm   Permalink

I plan on making a slip mold from this so it wont be fired. Im not taking any classes. I went to Michaels and purchased a small box of modeling clay and this is what happened on my first try.

I plan on throwing the basic peanut shape on a wheel next time to get more symmetry. I think the facial features need to be thinner.

I was hoping for lots of relief in the sculpt instead of the traditional cylinder.

Thank you for the ceramic tips. I need them.

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 08:37 am   Permalink

I was wondering what kind of clay/material everyone has generally found best for sculpting mugs?

I've been by a few art supply stores and the choices are overwhelming!

Does the type of mold process determine which clay you should use?

Thanks!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 08:38 am   Permalink

Oh yeah - Monkeyman, cool start! Looks much more ambitious than I would try for my 1st...

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 09:42 am   Permalink

Put me down for one!

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation