FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Waitiki. Don Tiki! Kapono! Pablus! Al Harrington! CDs will be available soon.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Waitiki. Don Tiki! Kapono! Pablus! Al Harrington! CDs will be available soon.
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 2:52 pm   Permalink

well that was fun. da bruddah plays da uke real good kine.
2 songs. cool.
but wot wus dat string o kinda Hawaiian soundin words in kahiki moon?!

good job, fil.

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 3:02 pm   Permalink

AUWE!
I've been exposed.
It's like one of those dreams where you're at a banquet in your underwear.
Except I'm awake.

I tried to get braddah Bong and some of the others here to help me craft that tune but had to resort to Koko and Lono's Hawaiian Dictionary to piece them together. I'm certain they're incredibly wrong in their context and connection.

-----------------------------------------
hey malihini pilikia Kahiki Moon

Akahele ko-u ka-hi ho' o-ma-ke 'oe au pu
(careful your wife will kill you too)

malihini pilikia Kahiki Moon

wiki wiki ha’alele and do it soon

ka pono’ ho’i, ho o hua oko mau
(all the goodness departs because I drink intoxicants)

So wiki wiki ha’alele Kahiki Moon

Malihini, auwe, pilikia

---------------------------------------------
Sigh.
I'm glad filslash let me apologize in advance to the people and that beautiful language I hope to speak well one day.

Thankfully, it's just a song.

Mahalo again, filslash - that was very fun and I hope people aren't throwing things at you as you walk down the street tomorrow.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 3:07 pm   Permalink

they call it
poetic licence, eh?

even still...
...recorded it, so it should grow on me over the next few months, I am sure...

[ This Message was edited by: lanikai 2006-03-15 15:10 ]

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 3:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-15 15:02, pablus wrote:
I hope people aren't throwing things at you as you walk down the street tomorrow.

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-16 13:56 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 1:07 pm   Permalink

Pablus' Hawaiian sounds great after you've had a few mugs of Beachbum's Own. Hey, it's tiki hapa haole music kinda like, "Yacka Hula Hickey Dula" and "Oh, How She Could Yacki Hacki Wicki Woo". Anyway, Kahiki Moon is a good old Ohio tiki tune.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 2:07 pm   Permalink

Don't make excuses for me.

I'm gonna learn to sing it right and write it right.
And maybe I'll learn to write the rites right.

(Kahiki Moon was about Primo Kimo's club in Vermont written by this good 'ol Ohioan and Rustiki, The Cracker)

Al Harrington in a few minutes. Oboyoboy.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 2:10 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-16 13:56 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 2:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-16 14:07, pablus wrote:
Don't make excuses for me.

I'm gonna learn to sing it right and write it right.
And maybe I'll learn to write the rites right.

(Kahiki Moon was about Primo Kimo's club in Vermont written by this good 'ol Ohioan and Rustiki, The Cracker)

Al Harrington in a few minutes. Oboyoboy.

Play that funky music white boy! ha,ha,ha,ha!!!!

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 2:49 pm   Permalink

Hey, I want some Hawaiian BBQ... mmmmmm! Listening to this show makes me hungry.

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 3:12 pm   Permalink

Wow - great interview with Al Harrington.
I loved the insight into Donn, and the tunes.

You da man, braddah fil!

(The link to my email address is on the ABOUT page - or uhhh... it will be within the next few minutes)

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 3:58 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2006-03-16 15:12, pablus wrote:
Wow - great interview with Al Harrington.
I loved the insight into Donn, and the tunes.

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-16 13:57 ]

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 4:27 pm   Permalink

Great show! It was cool hearing Al talk about Five-O, Donn, Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman. You even worked in a reference to mug collecting. Way cool since I just found the big Al Harrington mug with the bamboo handle last month. Mahalo for doing this with Florida's local legend and a local legend from the islands.

One question... Al talked about things getting bad in the islands during the 1990s, so he left. I heard the same thing from a couple of locals when I was there a year ago about the economy getting real bad at that time. What happened?
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-03-16 16:27 ]

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 4:39 pm   Permalink

If I recall correctly, Japan hit an economic slump about that time negatively impacted the tourism in Hawaii from Asia (and tourism from the States had dropped a bit as well, but it was the loss of Japanese tourists that had the stronger impact). Don't know if that's what Al was referring to, though.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 7:31 pm   Permalink

I'm really bummed that I did not get a chance to hear the interview first hand. I think Al Harrington has an amazing history with the islands and entertainment career. I cannot wait to hear the interview/show on CD. I hope the offer still stands on getting a copy. I was really wanting to call in and congratulate AL on his recent Hawaii Music Award and to see if any future shows might be possible. I have a couple live tapes of his and his humor and love for the audience is amazing and wonderful. I'm glad the mp3's worked out!

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: tikisobayli 2006-03-16 19:32 ]

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 8:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-16 19:31, tikisobayli wrote:
I'm really bummed that I did not get a chance to hear the interview first hand. I think Al Harrington has an amazing history with the islands and entertainment career. I cannot wait to hear the interview/show on CD. I hope the offer still stands on getting a copy. I was really wanting to call in and congratulate AL on his recent Hawaii Music Award and to see if any future shows might be possible. I have a couple live tapes of his and his humor and love for the audience is amazing and wonderful. I'm glad the mp3's worked out!

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-16 13:57 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation