FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace New 2006 Tikis at Big Lots!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
New 2006 Tikis at Big Lots!
amiotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 1:28 pm   Permalink

YAY!! I picked up a Pele, 2 buckets, a glowing eye tiki, and some (kinda cheesy, but cute) fish netting with shells sewn on. The big score was across the street at a 'going into retirement' sale at a home and garden decorating store - they had glass floats on sale, big 'uns and little 'uns - so I picked up one big yellow one and two small ones (blue and red) for under $50. They had another yellow and a turquoise in the big size, but I didn't have enough cash.

All in all, a pretty pleasant shopping day here in NC!

amiotiki

View Profile of amiotiki Send a personal message to amiotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 1:41 pm   Permalink

THe Big Lots on University in Pem. Pines had nothing. The Oakwood store had one Pele that I did not get. It looked too much like some sort of Conquistador wearing Bermuda Shorts. Very distracting.

There was one bit of fun... One of the room dividers for sale was a "Flower Door Covering" that was nothing more than plastic pot leaves with some little pink flowers every few inches.

Mr Glowy Eyes is cheesy enough to be cool and is going to look really good in my back yard, but the bucket/planter thing is going to take a bit of thought.... Cool enough to have, but not cool enough to show off.

Good luck and Happy Hunting.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine

Posted: 2006-03-16 4:12 pm   Permalink

WoooHooo! The Big Lots in Mission Viejo is "FULLY" Stocked with Tiki Trinkets. Very cheap too!!! I picked up the only Pele the store had.

[ This Message was edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-03-16 16:12 ]

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-18 09:52 am   Permalink

Thanks Woo! The LAST Pele?!! I'll check a few more locales.

I want it NOW!!!

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-18 1:26 pm   Permalink

I stopped at Big Lots earlier today. They had a few of the glowing eye tikis, and two Peles - they all ended up in my cart.

This Big Lots also had some neat looking 'Tiki Bar' signs - but a closer look revealed that they were made of fake - not real bamboo, else I might have bought one.

I swear I had at least 3 women later in the store ask where where I found the tikis - one of them actually put her hand on my cart and said 'Stop - I want to see those' and then apologized when she found out I was not a store clerk moving stock around. In hindsight, I wonder if 'Where did you find the tikis' is the new pick-up line used by gray-haired, middle-aged women, Suburban women to pick up guys at Big Lots. The other alternative is that all these women were giving up on Martha Stewart and discovering the world of tiki.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-18 3:56 pm   Permalink

Well, my Big Lots here in the boondocks had some stuff, but not the stuff I was hoping for. The glowing eye guy wasn't here. Nor was Pele.

I did get a couple strings of tiki lights, 4 plastic leilani design tumblers, 48 drink umbrellas for $1.99 and since I needed some hurricane glasses, I got their cheapo ones.

But most of the other tiki stuff was so cheesy, it was frightening.

EDITED TO NOTE: I went to another store and found the statue with the light-up eyes. So it's all good.

--SBiM

[ This Message was edited by: Suffering Bastard in Maine 2006-03-20 11:25 ]

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-20 10:57 am   Permalink

The Big Lots store closest to me (Tamarac/N. Lauderdale, Florida)had two extra Peles when I was there this weekend.

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-20 11:29 am   Permalink

The pele is cool. I'm really thinking about rigging fire for his head.

The ice bucket is great too. It will become a planter rather than an ice bucket.

The solar eyes light up one was a little cheesey for me personally, but I could see how people will be split on whether its cool, cause it was almost cool.

What I did buy that was cheesey was some glasses, trays, plates and bowls that were yellow and had 2 tikis on them with big red flowers. They were cheese, but something was cool about them.

Anyone thinking about painting their pele like the one at Disneyland?

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-20 8:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-20 11:29, ErichTroudt wrote:
The pele is cool. I'm really thinking about rigging fire for his head...

Yeah!!! I want to dremmel out the circle on top and find the right sixe tiki torch insert....And painting it...

Quote:

On 2006-03-16 09:34, HelzTiki wrote:
Now that I got it, I really need to know how to properly paint her. The issues are many.

But what color to paint it. Green and yellow or the new red and yellow. The amazing Gwenners has a good pic of the red and yellow version I'll ask if she'll post an enlargment here.

Here's the Green and yellow version. I think I prefer the red version.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gwenners
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-20 9:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-20 20:24, hodadhank wrote:
But what color to paint it. Green and yellow or the new red and yellow. The amazing Gwenners has a good pic of the red and yellow version I'll ask if she'll post an enlargment here.

I believe you are thinking of this paint job.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

View Profile of gwenners Send a personal message to gwenners  Goto the website of gwenners     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 10:39 am   Permalink

Mahalo Gwenners!

While I prefer the red, can anybody confirm that the green and yellow version is the original mid-century color scheme? Who's got the the earliest Pele pix available?

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 12:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-20 11:29, ErichTroudt wrote:

Several people said that they were going to paint their pele on this thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=14080&forum=12&48

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 2:04 pm   Permalink

I also posted this thread hoping to spur a little discussion about painting these guys...but to no avail.

But what I find funny is that the Big Lots Pele is a tiny bit different than the Disney original. The one from Big Lots looks like he's(She's?) wearing shorts, as Chip and Andy mentioned. It might be difficult to pull off the orange on the legs like in the photo above.

Just my $.02

Also...as you can see in the pic here:

There is some texturing needed to make him/her look authentic. I guess you could just dry brush on some lines for the effect, but does anybody have any other suggestions?

[ This Message was edited by: HelzTiki 2006-03-21 14:14 ]

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 4:20 pm   Permalink

I didn't even notice the damn shorts until you guys mentioned them.

I thought I'd dust it with brown spray paint and add a coat of clear matte. Then I was thinking about using some oil crayons I have but I've used them before on something similar and it got kind of gloppy and hard to work with. So now I'm thinking about going to a craft store and seeing what they have in the way of chalk-like sticks. I don't know if there exists anything beyond simple colored chalk but I was thinking something that worked like a moist chalk or a colored charcoal or something like that would work good. I'm no artist and I don't know what the hell I'm talking about or if such things exist but that's what I was thinking. Maybe I should just shut up until I actually go to the store and see what's available.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 09:28 am   Permalink

Finally found time to go to my nearest Big lots and found only one type of tiki. I asked the retail help if they had seen any more stuff like this and they acted like I was some kind of alien freak. It was a true anthropological experience. I am going to try another Big Lots today. Man I forgot how wierd those places are, but whatever it takes in the name of Tiki.

On a separate note there are some pretty bitchin hand woven palapa palm leaf table umbrellas at Home Despot these days. They are pretty pricy approx $200. but they are really the shit. I am going to procure one soon, can't resist. A great addition to paradise.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation