FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace New 2006 Tikis at Big Lots!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
New 2006 Tikis at Big Lots!
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 10:56 am   Permalink

Helztiki, the painting idea intrigued me too. I just wished the hat looked better. I almost think it would be easier to just make one from scratch with wood. Its certainly one of my favorite mugs. You get so much for so little.

If and when you do paint it, you got to show us.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 11:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-21 14:04, HelzTiki wrote:
I also posted this thread hoping to spur a little discussion about painting these guys...but to no avail...

There is some texturing needed to make him/her look authentic. I guess you could just dry brush on some lines for the effect, but does anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks for the awesome close-up Helztiki.

Sorry I missed your previous post on this subject.

I say Shorts Schmorts, this is as close to having a Disney Pele as I'll ever have so I'll make do. It might have been a copyright issue where changing 10% of the sculpture keeps the manufacturer safe from a Disney lawsuit.

I expect acrylics would be fine. Try an inconspicuous test area, let it dry and wait to see if it peels in a day or so. If that's the case maybe some very fine sand paper to make the surface more porous and the a clear non-gloss coating afterward to seal the sucker. That's what I'm doing anyhow... I'll let you know how she turns out.

I'm more concerned about finding the right diameter tiki torch to put in it's hat. I'll have to cut off the very top and that makes me nervous. To dremel or not to dremel that is the question.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 11:49 am   Permalink

For those of you in Denver, the Big Lost in Aroura at Chambers and East Hampden has it all and more, for example there is a pretty nice Tiki Bar sign that I didn't buy and other luau shwag that may or may not be useful. The Pele is freakin' awesome!!!

Thanks ofr the tip Zulu!! You Rock!
See you 4/1/06!

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 11:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-22 11:38, hodadhank wrote:

I'll have to cut off the very top and that makes me nervous. To dremel or not to dremel that is the question.

Just be sure stand back, in case anything creepy pops out at you!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 12:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-22 11:56, Tikiwahine wrote:Just be sure stand back, in case anything creepy pops out at you!

I hadn't thought of that...

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 12:19 pm   Permalink

I think Tikiwahine may be referring to what Bargoyle found in his resin tiki when it broke:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18564&forum=1

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 1:38 pm   Permalink

heres an idea: for the cracks over the left eye, like in the WDW Pele picture, build up the surface on either side of the crack with Bondo or a model sculpting medium then you can paint over it.

Too baD, there isn't a better way to add to the hat. Or is there? Best Pele look-a-like contest. GO!

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 2:36 pm   Permalink

I am definitely painting my Pele Tiki. I really don't care if it is anything like the Disney one, although the fire colors seem to make the most dense. I am almost tempted to get a couple more and paint each one differently. Pretty good bang for the buck in terms of size and useability. I am planning to put mine in an outdoor garden setting near my Tiki bar, so with good plants and the pre existing torches, etc. Pele should look pretty Tikiriffic!

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 4:59 pm   Permalink

Maybe I'm a bit slow, but I just realized .......
That is not a hat on Pele's head - it is a miniature volcano!

So if you paint it, you've got to make the top look like a mountain/volcano. And if you're ambitious, you will rig the whole thing so it erupts every now and then.
The only thing cooler than a Pele figure, would be a Pele figure with red lava flowing down around its head.
Johnny Cash fell into a burning ring of fire, but it was Pele who created the burning ring of fire

and it burns, burns, burns
Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 07:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-22 16:59, ikitnrev wrote:
Maybe I'm a bit slow, but I just realized .......
That is not a hat on Pele's head - it is a miniature volcano!

So if you paint it, you've got to make the top look like a mountain/volcano. And if you're ambitious, you will rig the whole thing so it erupts every now and then.
The only thing cooler than a Pele figure, would be a Pele figure with red lava flowing down around its head.

Maybe the top of the volcano hat can be cut out and the statue can be made into a lamp... with a red/orange lightbulb recessed inside the hat so that it projects a lava-colored light onto the ceiling. Hmm...

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-28 2:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Big Lot's in Delray Beach, FL had everything but the bucket.

Fear not! For a mere $80.00 you can get three of the $8.00 planters on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Planters-TIKI-Totem-Pole-Bar-Statue-Tribal-Garden-Art_W0QQitemZ4451752915QQcategoryZ36025QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-28 7:58 pm   Permalink

I was in my Big Lots again this week (large canned dog food for $.59!) and was stunned to see that ALL of the Mr. Glowy Eyes were now GONE!!!

Who-the-hell else besides ME in Houston wants one of these?!? (Thank you, whoever you all are, for saving me from my own stupid desires.)

Interesting too that my store only got one of the ice bucket/planter styles (the one on the right on the eBay picture). I might have bought one, had they had the other 2 styles.

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlmostHuman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-29 06:13 am   Permalink

I'm in Houston and have been really bad about putting off my tiki shopping. I need to hit the Big Lots on 45 in Spring and see what's what. I'm the other person around here who'd be into the glowing eyes Tiki...heres hoping that there's still some to be had.

View Profile of AlmostHuman Send a personal message to AlmostHuman  Email AlmostHuman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 08:31 am   Permalink

*MAN*, A H, where have you BEEN?

I hoped that my message would drag you hiding Houstonians out of the woodwork!

Good luck finding a Mr. Glowy Eyes. Don't bother trying the one on Shepherd at 11th St. in The Heights!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 09:57 am   Permalink

Has anyone noticed that the totem style tiki ( one on top of the other group of three jobber ) is fashioned after the tiki on the classic Enchanted Tiki Room poster. Check it out. Big difference is the top tiki has an oval head on the poster. I found one of these recently at Big Lost on Broadway in Denver.

If you are still wondering what I am referring to, look at the second Tiki on Zulu's first post on this thread.

Now back to the lagoon.

Aloha!

T.F.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation