FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace New 2006 Tikis at Big Lots!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
New 2006 Tikis at Big Lots!
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 10:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-29 09:57, Tiki Fink wrote:
Has anyone noticed that the totem style tiki ( one on top of the other group of three jobber ) is fashioned after the tiki on the classic Enchanted Tiki Room poster. Check it out. Big difference is the top tiki has an oval head on the poster.

Yes Fink, I think that has been brought up before. Also, there is a much larger resin tiki sold by Design Toscano and Sky Mall that also looks very similar to the tiki pictured in the Enchanted Tiki Room poster.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=2646&forum=5

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=578&forum=5

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 10:17 am   Permalink

big lots in morton grove had 1 glowing eyes tiki, the blue plastic flame tiki heads and the luau crap and tiki bar sign.....I picked up the boogie board....has a cool reto 70's look to it...I'm gonna make mine into an end table. would make a nice wall shield with some crossed spears behind it, maybe a light too....most of the big lots stuff is low-grade crap....it's a shame people actually spend money on it as it only perpetuates the production of more crap similiar to it.....the tikis look good but apparently big lots (and target) feel that, if the stores are not located by an ocean then they should not contain any tikis as land locked people don't want to buy that sort of thing....what a bunch of discriminating mother****ers!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 10:28 am   Permalink

Thanks for the tip on that particular tiki. Just purchased it. I am revamping my Tiki Patio so this will look great with the Big Lost Pele in my patio garden.

Coolsville!

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 1:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:
....it's a shame people actually spend money on it as it only perpetuates the production of more crap similiar to it..

True...but I wouldn't want to put a carving I paid good money for outdoors. I keep the good stuff inside...I bought the Big Lot's Pele to put out in the garden.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 3:23 pm   Permalink

I am actually grateful when I see stuff like this being sold; some of it is not terribly attractive, but some of it looks pretty good to my eye.

I usually think I'm dreaming when I see anything tiki-related in a store, and I think, "Hey wow...it's decorative crap that *I* would display, for a change!"

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 3:37 pm   Permalink

I like the pele statue..it's actually one of the better ones, but alas, they don't seem to carry those in the midwest as far as I know....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 4:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-29 10:17, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
....most of the big lots stuff is low-grade crap....it's a shame people actually spend money on it as it only perpetuates the production of more crap similiar to it.....

Quote:

On 2006-03-29 10:17, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
the tikis look good but apparently big lots (and target) feel that, if the stores are not located by an ocean then they should not contain any tikis as land locked people don't want to buy that sort of thing....what a bunch of discriminating mother****ers!!

Tipsy, you just gave me vertigo.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TB Hawks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-29 4:45 pm   Permalink

For those of us who were / are late coming into Tiki of our own, anything we can find, and no matter where it is being sold or manufactured is a great find....I'm in Florida and everything around me is centered around the tropical setting and Tiki is mostly a descriptive meaning of the merchandise...Becasue if you ask most sales clerks if they have anything Tiki....They just look at you....

I just found some Tiki (ceramic) drink tumblers at one of the antique / collectible stores in the area. The wife and I spent 2 1/2 hours in there and only found two items.

Florida is a long ways from the South Pacific Islands....Thanks for all the post everyone, I really enjoy the reading.....

View Profile of TB Hawks Send a personal message to TB Hawks  Email TB Hawks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 6:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting about this thing, ZuluMagoo. It straddled my "too cheesy for the money" line until I thought of it as a patio accent light....still haven't found the Disneyesque one, but am looking.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 8:34 pm   Permalink

Just a heads-up to my fellow midwesterners, I was passing through Pittsburg, KS today and they had unloaded a shipment of two of the $29 Disney knock-offs so maybe they are shipping more widely. Look these over carefully; one of the two I saw had a hole in the base...I didn't look inside it for fear of finding pink booties.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKini
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-09 9:24 pm   Permalink

Beware -- bought one of the disney knockoffs at the Big Lots in Dublin/San Ramon (they had four last week), but it blew over during one of the storms and cracked -- half his toes came off and one of the dragonflies from the hat. Nothing freaky inside though...

View Profile of TikiKini Send a personal message to TikiKini      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-09 9:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2006-04-09 21:24, TikiKini wrote:
Nothing freaky inside though...

And you *KNOW* that was the question on everybody's mind!!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomobile
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 2:52 pm   Permalink

Hello friends,
I was just at Big Lots in Anaheim and one in Lancaster. Neither of them had any of the glowing eyes Tiki, nor Peles, nor ice buckets. They both have the 3 stacked up "Disney" Tikis. For any of you who have last years version of them, these new one are a huge improvement. The detail in the sculpt is a lot better and more Disney-esque. Last years looked like a cheap knock-off. By the way, the Pottery store Tikis discused earlier are pretty ugly in my humble opinion...
Has anyone seen any other Big Lots Tikis? Are they still selling them elsewhere?
Keep us updated!
Your friend,
Louis

View Profile of Atomobile Send a personal message to Atomobile      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 11:13 pm   Permalink

Big Lots Fullerton (CA, near CSUF) is the same as Anaheim. No Pele's, no buckets.

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 4:43 pm   Permalink

I finally got around to painting the Pele Tiki, it took longer than I thought but he really comes alive with a little color. I used the red one for the model and took a few liberties, he will soon be in the backyard.

BTW, I always thought the fire goddess Pele was a woman, what's going on with that?

[ This Message was edited by: naugatiki 2006-04-13 16:44 ]

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation