FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace New 2006 Tikis at Big Lots!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
New 2006 Tikis at Big Lots!
amiotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 8:28 pm   Permalink

I went to Big Lots today and picked up some inexpensive, but kinda cute, plastic tiki glasses, dishes, and serving trays...such a deal! Perfect for patio parties so I don't put any of my 'good stuff' at risk...hehe. There was actually a pretty nice variety of styles available, from clear bright green plastic tiki face glasses with pitchers to colorful tropical designs with and without tiki statues included in the decoration.

amiotiki

View Profile of amiotiki Send a personal message to amiotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-16 6:27 pm   Permalink

here's my Pele painted in the red and yellow paint scheme. She is perched on a pedestal that I carved from pine last year. I drilled a hole in the bottom and filled her with sand for added ballast. Helztiki, I used exterior acrylic craft paint (Walmart); no surface prep. don't load the brush with alot of paint; do a couple of thin layers to get a more textured look.

thanks to those who posted the ETR Pele photos for color reference (hodadhank and gwenners).

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-17 09:07 am   Permalink

The painted pele really looks great! I also dig the pedestal.. Lookkin' good!

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-17 09:49 am   Permalink

Thanks TikiFink. i've been to three Big Lots in the last few days, and they are all sold out of the Pele statues. i was hoping for another to try a different paint scheme.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
larryc39

Posted: 2006-04-17 8:51 pm   Permalink

Can anyone post what the Luau Flame Idol looks like powered up? Or describe it better, I have no clue what it does.

View Profile of larryc39 Send a personal message to larryc39      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lilbigguy

Posted: 2006-04-19 5:38 pm   Permalink

Hey, Gang! I sent an e-mail message to the folks at Big Lots trying to find the Pele Statue near Buena Park and they gave me this reply:

The item sold very well and is sold out at most of our stores. There may be limited quantities left in the following stores in your state:

PASADENA 1260 N. LAKE AVE. 1 (626) 794-7602
TORRANCE 5017 PACIFIC COAST HWY 1 (310) 373-8079
STOCKTON 2720 COUNTRY CLUB DRIVE 1 (209) 941-8726
CHULA VISTA 1210 BROADWAY 1 (619) 420-4716
SANTQA CLARA 3735 EL CAMINO REAL 1 (408) 247-0389
NORTH HOLLYWOOD 5321 VINELAND AVE. 1 (818) 506-7699
LOS ANGELES 1815 SIAUSON 1 (213) 294-9725
INDIO 82-150 HWY 111 1 (760) 342-1253
OILDALE 1211 OLIVE DRIVE 1 (661) 393-4559
MORENO VALLEY 23607 A. SUNNYMEAD 1 (951) 247-7590
CATHEDRAL CITY 69026 HIGHWAY 111 1 (760) 321-2968
MURRIETA 25260 MADISON AVE. 1 (951) 698-1417
BANNING 3403 W. RAMSEY 1 (951) 849-4051
CUDAIIY 7925 ATLANTIC BLVD 1 (213) 771-0481
OAKLAND 3020 E NINTH ST 1 (510) 434-9010
ESCONDIDO 1625 E VALLEY PKWY S 1 (760) 747-7467
CORONA 740 N MAIN STREET 1 (951) 735-7242
SOUTH PASADENA 1401 B W. HUNTINGTON DR. 1 (626) 441-5493

I would suggest calling these stores and asking if they can check their on-hand inventory. Thank you and have a great day.

I hit the one in Cudahy on Atlantic and SCORED! They still have one, but it has minor damage to the base, which I'm sure would be easy to repair.

View Profile of lilbigguy Send a personal message to lilbigguy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
larryc39

Posted: 2006-04-19 8:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-17 20:51, larryc39 wrote:
Can anyone post what the Luau Flame Idol looks like powered up? Or describe it better, I have no clue what it does.

Woo! I just picked up the Totem, it was the only one and the only thing one of the nicer BL's in Michigan had. Most of ours are in the ghetto, so to speak, and are pretty small and don't carry much of anything.

View Profile of larryc39 Send a personal message to larryc39      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 6:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-17 20:51, larryc39 wrote:

Larry: look at Zulu's first post on this thread and you will see one of these idols in blue. ( They also come in purple )In the photo you will see a brown looking thing in the mouth. This is the little silk flame thingie. The Idol takes 4 aa batteries and when you turn it on, a little fan activates to make the flame stand up. There are also several LEDs that light the flame up. Another cool thing about these is that they are made to stack so you can create a fair sized Tiki. The bad thing about these is that they are pretty tacky. They would look great in a Shag - esque environment with lots of greens, blues and purples. A cartoonish Tiki environ if you will. They would stand in sharp contrast to anything remotely natural looking.

I purchased two of these for a Tiki Farm mug display in my Booze-a-torium. (wine and spirits shop) In this context they really do look cool.

For those of you in Denver, you can get mugs at my store and not hassle the shipping. Send me a PM!

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
larryc39

Posted: 2006-04-20 8:01 pm   Permalink

Ok, that's what I thought from the boxart...but then I thought they could have been really cheezy and just been a flickering light in that white thing to make it look glowy.

tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-25 08:34 am   Permalink

looking around on ebay, i saw the pele statue. it's available to buy it now for $119. it's pretty crazy how much they're trying to make off of it, but they'll probably find a sucker somewhere to pay that for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7760996191&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX

[ This Message was edited by: tiki5-0 2006-04-25 08:36 ]

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-25 12:18 pm   Permalink

Good grief!

At least this guy didn't say "I was told it was Witco" or "...from The Hula Club" or some other BS!

But what HUEVOS! A $39 statue for $119!!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-26 09:25 am   Permalink

I just visited a Big Lots In Huntington Beach, and they had a really cheesy Tiki bar for sale... 59.99... plastic thatch canopy, fabric Tiki print wrapped around the front of the bar... I guess if you were in a pinch for an auxillary bar for a party, it would do with a little doctoring up...!

They also had a coordinating Tiki arch!

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
larryc39

Posted: 2006-04-29 09:04 am   Permalink

I'd hit one Mich. one in Macomb/Shoenner, tehy didn't really have anything but the one totem. I'd stoped by the Dequinder/Universla Mall store and they had a whole AISLE of Tiki. The glowy eye guys, the flame guys, totems, but no ice buckets or disney statue. They also had a lot of flamingo themed items, and both small hanging tiki-face party lights and larger (c9 bulb) stick-in-the-ground lights along with some silly junk, IE bamboo tiki bar signs, holographic surfboard, etc. Might be worth a second trip to see what your local has restocked.

BTW I got the log carving (VERY nice for the price) and the flame thing. Bit disappointed with the flame thing though, I was expecting a nicer quality (thicker) plastic for $20 and a little better flame effect. It's definitely an indoor-only toy.

Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 5:47 pm   Permalink

Big Lots Solar moon lights (my photo):

These emit very bright white light (perfect for me because they go down a path on a small hill driveway). They also make suns (cheesy face on them though) and stars. I should have gotten the stars but didn't. So instead I put some of these solar suns (Fred Meyer on sale) in between:

Not my photo:

And I got a couple of the solar palms flowers (not my photo either). Again, Fred Meyer or you can find them online at various places like The Hunger Site:

I just quickly shot of photo of both of them in my Everblooming Lavendar (Lowes--what am I a sales person?):

They are gorgeous to look at and at night give a very, soft illuminative glow (don't count on them for real light though).

I found this tiki statue, but not Pele:

Could NOT find the Solar Tiki, but they all said, "we had a couple but they're gone".

I bet you didn't know they had TIKI STEPPING STONES, did you?

Yep:

I made a plant stand into a mini table (I could only find TWO of the Tiki Stones, would like two more):

(That Corona is long history, btw)

I did find enough of the happy yellow pineapple stepping stones to line the path on the side of the house so got those:

Here's a cluster of them just sitting on the ground waiting for me to put them in their real location:

I think they'll look ok in perspective to everything else once they're landscaped (because they do lean towards cheesy). I already managed to crack one when I was pouncing towards the grotto one particularly warm night last week, so don't step on the stones until they've been properly embedded!

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MobileTikiBar
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-05-03 1:43 pm   Permalink

I was in biglots the other day, here's some quick photos I snapped off. We picked up a set of the tiki head light string.

-adrian

View Profile of MobileTikiBar Send a personal message to MobileTikiBar  Goto the website of MobileTikiBar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation