FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Are tiki torches the best surving symbol of tiki (next to tikis themselves)?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Are tiki torches the best surving symbol of tiki (next to tikis themselves)?
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-01 12:38 pm   Permalink

Found these in a shop the other day. The box says they were made by NOMA-WORLD WIDE, Inc., Forest Park, ILL (sic) 60130. Still in the unopened original packaging. They are a harvest gold color. The package says these cone shaped torches were available in silver, black and colored and that bowl shape in silver and colored.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-16 03:12 am   Permalink

Bumping this thread, got my eyes on a set of gold torches in the box. Might be a while before I can afford them. But it's good news. LOVE those Harvest Gold torches - so weird to see Noma on them. Noma was best known for Christmas lights and decorations.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
icebaer69
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-16 05:29 am   Permalink

amazing+beautiful advertisement:

Quote:

On 2008-11-30 15:49, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
From a 1971 Pontiac brochure. Artwork by Art Fitzpatrick and Van Kaufman.

View Profile of icebaer69 Send a personal message to icebaer69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 7:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-27 19:53, BrickHorn wrote:
I swung by the local Wal-Mart today and - lo and behold! - the evil megastore stocks a full line of Tiki-brand torches. $15 will buy you a pretty nice-looking torch. I think I need to stock up before the summer drinkin' season commences.

Does this qualify as a Tiki torch?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10671122

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 10:26 am   Permalink

A pic to prove that Caliente Tropics once carried a torch (or two) for Tiki...

...But perhaps not for much longer.

Pray to the Tiki Gods that it NOT be so!!!

Cheers!

On second thought, better make that a DOUBLE!

And now let's sing: " in the room!"

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 3:56 pm   Permalink

Here is a tiki torch even Sven would call "Tiki"!

and with the cap off and his wick showing ....

Got 4 of these guys several years ago. They live in the Lava Lounge and I don't light them indoors!! The sun here in Sacramento would eat these alive in one drinking season (oh, wait...we have drinking season all year!) so in one summer they would be destroyed. Only 2 had the metal poles, the other 2 are on bamboo. Still..a REAL tiki torch!!

Tacky

[ This Message was edited by: Tacky Tiki 2009-05-09 16:02 ]

View Profile of Tacky Tiki Send a personal message to Tacky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
whorton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-05-22 10:08 pm   Permalink

Although the tiki tourches of old may be almost gone and forgotten, here is a distributer that sells new gas fired outdoor torches in the "tiki" style:

http://www.finesgasappliance.com/products/torch.ht

View Profile of whorton Send a personal message to whorton  Email whorton     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-08 5:47 pm   Permalink

I came across this copy of Perfect Home Magazine a few weeks ago. There is an article titled "Decorative Lighting For Your Outdoor Living Room." The example on the cover is the coolest example though.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-18 9:47 pm   Permalink

Some more classics. Since the "Tiki Torch" was trademarked, there became others.

Mai Kai Torches

Tropic Torches

Another Tiki Torch ad

Lets see if we can keep this post as the Tiki Torch location as it has a lot of momentum.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-19 10:53 am   Permalink

Great thread. long live the tiki torch not garden torches. What were they thinking? :/.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-15 12:11 pm   Permalink

Here are two large Tiki Torches I found.
I don't think they are Durant-Irvine torches as they have dished bottoms and the DIs seem to have a flat bottom to the cone.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-21 11:11 pm   Permalink

That is a score, Murph.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-29 5:11 pm   Permalink

Murph,

You given those bad boys a test run yet?

Here we have the Gold anodized Tiki Torch, sweet!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-03 2:47 pm   Permalink

Fortunately, there are still a few quality Tiki torch options out there. I'm partial to the classic cone style. Here are a couple citronella versions from buytikitorches, who is a member here:

or the inverted cone style sometimes referred to as Kona torches:

The classic cone style is also available in black instead of copper, but either way, they're not inexpensive. The classic cone style will set you back about $50 and the "Kona" style is about $40 and available here:
https://www.buytikitorches.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

Haven't dealt with them personally, but they're also on Amazon and seem to have been around for a while. I have the Kona style torches in copper and they're really nicely made.

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
StAckEdsKuLLs
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-18 02:45 am   Permalink

Aloha all. I just got a set of 6 of the Durant-Irvine Hawaiian Luau torches in vintage used condition. Overall very good shape on all of them. I will probably only use 2 or 3 myself. I can send pics to anyone interested and will try a and post a few on here in the next couple days. PM me if you'd like pics. Mahalo.

View Profile of StAckEdsKuLLs Send a personal message to StAckEdsKuLLs  Email StAckEdsKuLLs     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation