FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Trader Tom
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-27 02:55 am   Permalink

Wow!!! I'm impressed. I definitely have to have one of those. They really are works of art. Now, if only you could simplify the manufacturing process with one of those Tesla Devices like I saw in "The Prestige"...

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-27 7:18 pm   Permalink

OK - Here are 2 new guys... Haven't thought of a name for them yet - but they are based on a "candle cover" volcano that I did a few years ago. Traveling Jones wanted to expand on the design, and I finally got around to making it for him. I ended up making 2 - as I wanted to try a few different techniques for putting this new mug together. They bot turned out A LOT bigger than I expected - and due to their shape, they will hold quite a few ounces of poison. With this in mind, I ended up placing several straw holes in them, so 4 or 5 fellow vulcanologists can sip the geothermal ethers together.

First up is Traveling Jones' re-design of my mug. This guy is BIG - it has 2 chambers - the top of the mug (the cinder cone, if you will) has a small reservoir to fill with high-powered stuff for flame effects. Below the top chamber is the larger main chamber for your drinkable spirits. On the back of the mug you will see an opening to this second chamber (large enough for pouring and cleaning) as well as 2 additional straw holes.

Next up is the smaller of the two (and by "smaller", I mean "less big"). It is a single chamber volcano mug with 4 straw holes for you and your friends.

And finally I wanted to get a shot to show the scale of these twin peaks - I grabbed a can of soda from the fridge and snapped this:

Travelling Jones gets first pick - and the second mug will be erupting on eBay in time for x-mas!

Mahalo!
VanTiki

www.vantiki.com

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2006-10-28 11:16 ]

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-27 7:44 pm   Permalink

you've done it again, vt! very cool. please put me down for one, plus i still want a pongo with white teeth. the new ocarina is looking good too.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-27 8:45 pm   Permalink

VANTIKI...you are off da charts and sailing in open waters! The Ku ocarina and this fella are MASSIVE! Dang da Hilo tremors musta shook the dust outta more than jus' da shelves AND clay must be flyin' around your studio like pizza dough ona Saturday night!!!

Keep'em coming cuz, you been away too long!!!

-AND- for those that missed it the first time around, here's VanTiki's "TooTy Tiki Tavi"...NOW I can tooot my own mug!!!

"Whistle while you drink, tooty-toot-toot-tooty-toot!!!" Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-28 11:35 am   Permalink

I know I say it all the time, but MA-HA-LO (in a big cheesy sing-song group luau chant voice) for everyones kind words and encouragement. It means a lot coming from such talented artists and tiki connoisseurs.

I updated the above post about the volcano mugs - adding some descriptions for the photos. Gonna do a few old-school Pongo Logs this morning and that will be it for this batch! A week or two to dry out, then bisque fire followed by glaze and final firing. I'll keep everyone posted!

VanTiki

PS - here is one of the original Volcano candle covers from 2003 - you put him over a tea candle and his eyes, nose, teeth, and cracks all over his back let the light shine thru. Looks neat:

here you can see that the new volcanoes are a tad larger than the original!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-28 1:15 pm   Permalink

Ah Jonesey, you're a connoisseur! Nice to see some different pics of tooty, he wasn't around long. These new volcano guys are a great development - I dig how distinctive your style is VanTiki, there's no way these would be mistaken for anyone else's work. I am going to have to work something out with you soon!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-29 01:30 am   Permalink

Awesome, awesome mugs mate

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dancin' Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-30 08:22 am   Permalink

For those of you who haven't purchased a mug.... it's well worth it. These mugs have weight and when they're on a shelf with other tiki mugs...they command your attention. Mine finally had to come down off the communal shelf and stand by himself.

View Profile of Dancin' Lizard Send a personal message to Dancin' Lizard  Email Dancin' Lizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 11:34 am   Permalink

Aloha All -

Time for a VanTiki Update! A week of rain slowed down the drying process quite a bit. The big batch of mugs is almost done drying - here is a close up of the "sleeping army" of tiki goodness:

I am going to take Traveling Jones' advice and shape a few more mugs in the week ahead to try and satisfy any Xmas demand. I will be doing a few more unique critters for the next kiln load - and I think that that will be all I have time for (when you take into account drying time, glazing, and shipping) before Santa takes off.

Working on a second "dual chamber" volcano mug - this guy is drying out a bit (as I type) before I can finish up his texture/details:

I've been getting a lot of e-mails and PM asking for these mugs - to keep things fair (and to ease my guilt!) I am gonna be putting the mugs up on e-bay. That way I figure everyone can get a shot at them - hope I don't ruffle too many feathers!

Trader Tom, Kingstiedie, Paipo, Traveling Jones, Hewey, and Traveling Lizard - Mahalo for the encouragement!

VanTiki

Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 11:55 am   Permalink

Great! eBay you know I dig the Rush..... Looking forward to it Van Tiki!.............

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 1:36 pm   Permalink

Only feathers that will be ruffled will be those who don't have 200 clams ....

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 2:11 pm   Permalink

Oh Man, My feathers, I Can't stand it, Oh No, Aahhhh.
Excellent mugz VanTiki, Love the deep, sharp detail. Plus, they are Just Awesome. Nice job and good luck on ebay.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 5:36 pm   Permalink

Good luck with em man

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 5:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-08 14:11, Benzart wrote:
Oh Man, My feathers, I Can't stand it, Oh No, Aahhhh.

Too funny!

And........ . . . . Ker-POW!

Volcano #3 is finished! Well, the sculpture at least. Stay tuned, dear readers, as we watch clay dry for a week or two before glazing!

VanTiki

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 5:10 pm   Permalink

Aloha and welcome to the VanTiki Kiln... Please keep your hands inside the tram at all times and no flash photography, please, as that angers the mugs.

On the first floor we have a forest of Pongo Logs, 2 mini Jabbers, as well as a Great Volcano Mug and Musical Mug #2:

And on the second floor we see a Mini Great Volcano Mug surrounded by a field of Trepanning Accidents:

Will they all survive the intense heat? Will a mug give into the pressure of the fire and take out a neighbor or two in a breathtaking explosion? Will VanTiki be shedding tears of joy or sorrow? Check back in a few days!

Mahalo,
VanTiki

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation