FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-27 11:11 am   Permalink

Melting 'Severed Snow Head'...NOW THAT's a HOOT!

VanTiki your new multi-colors and designs are INCREDIBLE! V-E-R-Y expressive and original!! YOU are a maniac clay-slinger and tripping all over the glaze workZ...SsweeetT!!!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-15 5:20 pm   Permalink

+Also posted in Marketplace:

Shaka Y'all!

I just wanted to share, with swelled pride and appreciation, my 'BadBoyz of Vantiki' collection. Braddah H' kicked it into highest gear with new creations and multi-layered glazes! ANYONE desiring a quality 'hand-crafted' mug...VanTiki's da Man!

Enjoy the photo and I'll enjoy da mugz! SsweeeetT

Flip-flOp-flipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-29 4:35 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

Yessir - sit down, I've got some shocking news: VanTiki has finally gotten around to making a new mug! I know, I know, amazing but true. What brought me out of my mug hibernation? Why, nothing less than an amazing email from the DvA Gallery asking if I would like to participate in their annual tiki show! To say I was excited can hardly describe my feelings. The sticky wicket is that I gotta get the mugs done by the 13th of June! With fingers crossed I set to work. Feeling so stoked/freakedout/intimidated about the show, I bought 100lbs of clay Saturday morning with a "go big or go home" midset. I've been wanting to do a piece (or, in this case, pieces) based on the Martin Denny tune "Stone God". I did some sketches, and then proceeded to lay out some templates:

From there I rolled, cut, and assembled the slabs. A bit tricky as these are more like Tiki Pitchers than Tiki Mugs - very big. Especially the tall guy!

Once the basic forms were laid out it was time to add the details that would truly transform them into "Stone Gods"

And after an entire audiobook (Patrick O'Brian's The Surgeon's Mate) we have the nearly finished stone works!

They will need to dry out sloooowly for a day or two before I add the final round of detail/cleanup. And with a bit of luck I can dry them (without cracking) in time to bisque, glaze, and fire them before the DvA show date. Wish me luck!

Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik "The Long Lost VanTiki"

PS - No, I didn't use the entire 100lbs of clay on these guys (just 25!)

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 03:35 am   Permalink

They look great man - the stone effect is very cool.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 05:31 am   Permalink

Reminds me of my first Lego set that was one of the $100 grey block castle sets. Oh the memories, Played with Legos forever back then. Love the mugs

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 05:47 am   Permalink

Cool, That's what King Arthur would have drank his mai tai in!!

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-30 10:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-30 05:47, Surf tiki wrote:
Cool, That's what King Arthur would have drank his mai tai in!!

"Whoso Drinketh the Mai Tai from this Stone is rightwise Chief of All England!"

Too Funny!

Mahalo for the Kind words Hewey, TeaKey, and SurfTiki!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 9:17 pm   Permalink

Awesome creations VanT - congrats on getting in the DVA show. Let's hope you get more exhibition invitations so we can see more of your one-off handbuilt mugs/pitchers/dogbowls. Great photos too!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 9:28 pm   Permalink

Yo, VT!! I really luv the original style you gots...all the mugs look great! Lookin forward to seein' the finished product!

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-31 11:24 am   Permalink

Mahalo Paipo and Freddie!

I am happy to announce the first ever VanTiki's Tiki Thursday! What is Tiki Thursday? Welp, I have been in awe of TikiShark's dedication to hitting the studio and producing artwork - and I wanted to try and emulate his work ethic. As some of you may know, I've been attending a ceramics (wheel throwing) class since January. The class got together every Wednesday night from 5:30 to 10, and over the months my work schedule has grown accustomed to the "Wednesday night is for clay" concept. Now that the class is over I hope to shift to tiki mugs every Wednesday night, and I'll post the results on Thursday mornings (hence the "Tiki Thursday" namesake). Will I stick to this like the painting dynamo that is the Tiki Shark? I sure hope so - at least I hope that by publicly announcing my plans I'll be too embarrassed to stop

Sooooo that brings us to the mugs! Last night was spent mostly on final detailing/cleanup on the two Stone God mugs - but I did have enough time left over to block out another "Ku" inspired piece:

The photo is small 'cuz this is a very rough work in progress! I still have a lot of work to do on this guy, but I need the clay to firm up a bit before I move on. I built the mouth a little differently than my past mugs - the teeth and "jaw" stick out a bit as opposed to lying flat against the surface. Hard to explain - I'll shoot more photos as work progresses.

oh - and I took a shot of the bigger Stone God with an old friend to give everyone a better idea of its size:

Mahalo for peeking -

Henrik "VanTiki"

www.vantiki.com

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2007-05-31 14:37 ]

Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 12:00 pm   Permalink

Holy cow!! I didnt realize how HUGE the stone god was until he was next to Mr Bali Hai.

Outstanding work VT. LOVE the little Ku guy too. Really dig the teeth on him. dibs!! I call dibs!!! lol

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-31 12:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-31 12:00, Bargoyle wrote:
Holy cow!! I didnt realize how HUGE the stone god was until he was next to Mr Bali Hai.

Yessir - someone will need a LOT of rum and a room full of friends to tackle the tall guy!

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 3:29 pm   Permalink

I too didn't quite realise the size of the big guy! The new mugs are cool too. Long live tiki Thursday! Sounds like something I might attempt myself

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacksandz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 09:52 am   Permalink

SSSSSSSSSmokin'!!!

VanTiki, one of your best mugs yet!

Ku! Ku! Ku!...

sandz

View Profile of blacksandz Send a personal message to blacksandz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-01 5:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-29 16:35, VanTiki wrote:

Henrik "The Long Lost VanTiki"

"LIFE! DO YOU HEAR ME?! GIVE MY CREATION... LIFE!!!" Dr. Friedrich von Frankenstein ( it's pronounced "Fronkensteen")

Comments:
"Abby Normal?", Igor ( it's pronounced "eye-gore")

"HUGE castle doors...WHAT KNOCKERS!", Dr. Frankenstein

"He vould have an enormous Shwanstooker!", Inga

"MAD, simply MAD VANTIKI...MAD IS GOOD!!", Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

A 'jOnz' by definition: a strong craving, passion or desire.

[ This Message was edited by: TravelingJones 2007-06-01 21:57 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation