FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-02 12:04 am   Permalink

Those new stone mugs are kick ass! Your hand built work is very unique and the execution is totally flawless. I'm a big fan! I'm glad you are going to do more work but I've got to say even if you're not satisfied thus far with your work quantity, your quality is outstanding!

Peace,
S
T

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-02 6:02 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Hewey, Blacksandz, TJ, and SneakyTiki for the encouragement!

Here are some more shots of Ku #2, aka The angriest Tiki Ever aka Mr. Prickly aka Capt. Chompers:

Really stoked with this guy, can't wait to glaze him. Explored some new textures and techniques - I really dig the carved thick rim on the mug (visible in the center reverse photo). It did turn out a tad angry - and I think I'll have to do a more whimsical mug next to balance out the mojo in my studio
He's now hanging out on the drying rack keeping the 2 Stone Gods company. Unfortunately I don't think any of them will shed their moisture in time for me to fire them for the DvA show. Sigh - If I'm invited back next year I'll be sure to get started early!

Mahalo for peeking,
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-02 6:42 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately I don't think any of them will shed their moisture in time for me to fire them

How much time is needed.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacksandz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-02 7:05 pm   Permalink

Oh my god!!! I don't know what is more impressive the front or back of this mug!

This is a Tiki Mug for the ages!!!

Unreal!

VanTastic!!!

sandz

View Profile of blacksandz Send a personal message to blacksandz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-02 8:05 pm   Permalink

GASP!...thump!!!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-02 8:33 pm   Permalink

Holy smokes!

Such compliments! I'm blushing! Mahalo - it means a lot to me!

Quote:

On 2007-06-02 18:42, teaKEY wrote:
How much time is needed.

welp, for these guys I'm thinking a week and a half to two weeks minimum. They have two strikes against them - thin bits poking out of them (the fins on the Ku) and several very thick areas (face areas around the teeth on the Stone Gods). It is essential to dry the mug uniformly or it will develop cracks where thin parts meet the thick areas (the thin parts will dry fist, shrink, and pull away from the moist thicker sections). To do that, I need to keep them wrapped in plastic and dry them very slowly. They would easily dry in four days or so if I just left them on the shelf uncovered, but then they would be riddled with cracks. I've learned the hard way not to rush things!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-02 8:59 pm   Permalink

Amazing work Van! To keep on the Frankenstein quote thing that Jonesy started, this from Bride of Frankenstein.....

"Normal size has been my difficulty. You did achieve size." Dr. Pretorious to Henry Frankenstein.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

ch

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-07 11:40 am   Permalink

Aloha!

Happy to report that I've managed to stick to Tiki Thursdays for two whole weeks (so far)

Last night I wanted to test out some new assembly techniques for a future "gimmick" mug I have planned. I also wanted to make a more whimsical mug after the last angry Ku fellow, so I give you the halfway finished 3rd mug in the "Stone Gods" series: The Stone King:

please keep in mind that he isn't finished! I've just blocked out the form, and after he has stiffened up a bit I will texture him to match the other Stone Gods.

Here is a shot for scale with an old friend:

And here are the other Stone Gods nearly done drying - you can get an idea of their size (even after shrinking 10% while drying):

I'll post more shots of the Stone King Saturday afternoon after I finish him up.

Mahalo for peeking!

Henrik "VanTiki"

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-07 1:07 pm   Permalink

These are teh insane vessels!!!

How does one aquire one (or more)?

Awesome effort man

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
POCKETIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-07 5:35 pm   Permalink

For once...I'm speechless!!!! These vare truly inspired tiki mugs. Hopefully they will inspire others to think outside the 'tiki box'! Truly objects of passion and desire. On behalf of anyone and everyone who sets eyes on your mugs...Thank you!!

Trader Jim - make mine a Mai-Tai!

View Profile of POCKETIKI Send a personal message to POCKETIKI  Email POCKETIKI Goto the website of POCKETIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-08 10:09 am   Permalink

Off the Chain! Just incredible... HipHipAHuLA!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-08 11:31 am   Permalink

A heartfelt Mahalo to McTiki, POCKETIKI, and Hiphipahula for the compliments. Your kind words keep me pushing the clay!

Had a bit of a heart attack last night. Daddy VanTiki visited the studio to check out the latest sculptures, and peeking into Ku #2 he asked "Is this big crack supposed to be here?"

ug.

After all my care in wrapping the Stone Tikis, it seems I inadvertently placed the Ku #2 on the elevated drying rack well ahead of schedule. Sure enough, the mug's bottom dried out much faster than the rest of the mug, and a large crack had developed. To say I was depressed doesn't even come close to how I felt. I had a ton of animation to get through that night, so I drenched the Ku with water, re-wrapped it (after taking it off the drying rack) and tried not to think of it while I worked away on the computer for a few hours. Since then I have managed to soften the mug's bottom enough to smooth out and close the crack (gross!). He's in intensive care right now - and I don't know if he will pull through. If all goes well, the moisture will balance out in the now tigltly wrapped mug and I can then begin the drying process anew. As Ms. VanTiki put it - if the crack comes back I'll have a super kick-ass mug to put on my shelf of failures!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-08 11:24 pm   Permalink

Van, I know you'll pull that mug through surgery! You dah man. Your hand-builts are incredible. I think you should be pimping these and making molds or getting someone to mass produce them because they are truly top tier by anyone's standards. I know reproductions wouldn't look quite as good or be quite as special but you could still sell the OG's too!
That angry tiki is so F'n fantastic. I love the chisel marked areas and contrasting wood grain spaces. It's like peanut mugs were supposed to be but never achieved the real chizel look.
That Moai is really nice too, reminds me of the Kahiki and Tiki Gardens moai a bit. The porcelain teeth take me back to the 80's for several reasons. I luvs em.
Snickle Tickle

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-10 8:18 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Sneaky Tiki for the compliments!
I hope you are right about me pulling the Ku #2 back together. That darn crack keeps sneaking back!

The good news is I finished the Stone King sculpt today. I am pleased to present the Lordly Lost King of the Jungle:

Cross your fingers for a smooth and happy drying process!

Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-14 11:26 am   Permalink

Aloha Folks -

Well, last night's Tiki Mug sculpt was a disaster. After wrestling with an ungainly form for a few hours I ended up tossing the mug-to-be

In my excitement I had built up a form that wasn't self supportive, and had to bail out. As you may have noticed - my mugs have been getting rather large, and this one wasn't gonna make it unless the clay was held up until it reached the leather hard state. Soooooo frustrating! To keep the ol' Tiki Thursday ball rolling I am gonna return to the studio tonight - this time armed with a supportive form to hold the clay in shape till it is leather hard. Photos of the (fingers crossed) successful mug tomorrow!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation