FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-14 1:37 pm   Permalink

Keep at it Henrik!!

The last few have been absoultely incredible (Stone King came out very very cool)! I cant wait to see whats next.

Keep aiming high. The small setbacks make the finished product all the more satisfying. And with the results you've been getting....too cool man, too cool.

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-14 1:44 pm   Permalink

it was all for the greater good of the whole

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-14 4:45 pm   Permalink

Henrik,

These are by far some of the best mugs I have ever seen. Your style really rocks this house!!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-15 9:44 pm   Permalink

That is an impressive lump of clay there, all of my ceramic stuff ended up looking like that in college. I love the stone mugs that you have been making.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-16 3:33 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Bargoyle, teaKEY, Babalu, and frostiki for the compliments and encouragement!
Yes, frostiki, it was a big lump of clay! I felt terrible chucking it - as I am down to my last bag of clay and I don't want to run out "mid-mug".
Was able to finally get that mug prototype put together. I've been wanting to do a light-up tiki mug for a while now, and have been hoarding these flickering candle LED circuits I ripped out of holiday decorations I bought on discount last December. The problem with putting the scavenged LED flicker circuits in mugs was I only had 4 of them, and if the mugs turn out cool I'd like to make more than just 4! So I was stoked to stumble upon an easy-to-wire LED project that produced a great flame flicker effect. Problem was - how to get it in a mug? That is where this guy comes in. I put this guy together as a test-piece to see how to hide batteries, wiring, etc. and still have something you can drink out of. He is big - and he kinda looks a bit too much like HellBoy (hope the stone texturing tones down the resemblance down a bit - not that I don't like HellBoy!). Still a rough sculpt - needs to firm up a bit before I can do final textures. It will be another "Stone God" type mug (But with flaming interior shining thru the eyes, nose, and mouth!):

And as an added bonus we have a Pickled Head mug fresh from the bisque firing:

Mahalo for Peeking -
Henrik VanTiki

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-17 8:59 pm   Permalink

Sculpture Finished!

I love his porcelain "earrings"!

Its gonna rest on the drying rack for a spell while I wire up the flickering flame LED *magic* !

Mahalo for Peeking -

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-18 12:30 am   Permalink

That'll look cool with flickering eyes! How about pressing stones into the wet clay to give it even more texture? That might look cool, but not sure how it would go with glaze?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-18 07:40 am   Permalink

OOOF!...thump!!!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-18 11:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-18 07:40, TravelingJones wrote:
OOOF!...thump!!!

I do believe Mr. Traveling Jones may be in need of medical assistance!

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-18 1:03 pm   Permalink

Another innovative masterpiece from the VanT studio! I can't wait for the one that blows smoke rings while playing "Quiet Village"!
I'm looking forward to seeing how you incorporate the circuitry too. I originally wanted something along those lines in my "robotiki" pendant, but put it in the too-hard basket.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-21 11:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-18 13:03, Paipo wrote:
I can't wait for the one that blows smoke rings while playing "Quiet Village"!

Oh man - that killed me. Too good! Mahalo for the kind words - I hope the LEDs won't be too hard to wire up - I'll post a step-by-step once I get going on them.

For today's Tiki Thursday I decided to re-visit one of my first mug ideas. Set the WayBack machine for 2002 when a Henrik with more hair on his head thought it would be cool to do a tiki lantern:

yessir. It is an oldie so be kind As you can see - it turned out rather small for holding a candle (we could only fit a little "tea" candle in there and they don't last long at all). Also - he slumped while I was sculpting him since I cut out all the holes too early and to top it all off the "lid" got WICKED hot when the candle was alight. Soooo - neat idea, but needs work. So last night I looked at my old light-up friend, did some doodles, and put together a new version of the concept. Keep in mind, this is a rough unfinished sculpture! Allow me to present Mt. MonkeyBusiness:

This is a dual-purpose Mountain, as this precise schematic will illustrate:

The top of the cinder cone is a removable mug - and the mountain's base is a lantern with a glowing face and magma cracks lit up by ancient geothermal forces (ok - a set of flickering LEDs)

More photos when its done!

Mahalo for peeking -

Henrik "VanTiki"

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-21 11:53 am   Permalink

WOW - WOW - WOW!!!!!!!
That is excellent. I have been a fan of your stuff for a while. That is VERY cool.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-23 6:59 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Aloha Station!

Here is the finished Mt. MonkeyBusiness sculpt - the top of the mountain is a mug that you can remove and drink from, the bottom is a magma lantern (aka led flickering light showing through cut-out bits):

The Stone God #1 and #2 mega-mugs (see p12 of this thread) are currently in the kiln getting their bisque-firing. Lets all cross our fingers and hope for no explosions!

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-23 8:00 pm   Permalink

UuunghH!...thump!!!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 12:24 am   Permalink

Wow man, that is totally wild! Great idea, and really well executed. Can't wait to see it glazed up

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation