FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-02 3:58 pm   Permalink

The pickled head looks great! I'd love to see one with some green for that ultimate shrunken head look

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-07 6:34 pm   Permalink

Welp - took the 4th off so sad to say I have no new mugs to report this week. Today the remainder of the stone-style mugs are getting bisque fired, and I hope to get them all glazed next week! All I can offer this week is a shot of Mr. Pickled Head #2 in his new home

Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-13 12:30 pm   Permalink

Got some goodies out of the kiln this morning! Lots of photos to edit. Here is a look at the Stone Idol #3: THe Stone King. I'll post photos of Stone Idol 2 shortly. Hope to have the website updated today (fingers crossed).

Mahalo for Peeking!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-13 1:14 pm   Permalink

And as promised the shots of Stone God - he demands a sacrifice of rum!

Mahalo for viewing these lost stone gods! I'm going to work on the website today and they will eventually make their way to the marketplace forum.

Henrik "VanTiki"

TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-13 2:39 pm   Permalink

AAAUUUGGGHHH...

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

inscription on the rock
It reads, "Here may be found the last words of Joseph of Aramathia. He who is valiant and pure of spirit may find the holy grail in the Castle of Aaauuuggghhh...

King Arthur: What?
Brother Maynard: "The Castle of Aaaauuuggghhhh"
Sir Bedevere: What is that?
Brother Maynard: He must have died while carving it.
King Arthur: Oh come on!
Brother Maynard: Well, that's what it says.
King Arthur: Look, if he was dying, he wouldn't have bothered to carve 'Aaaauuuggghhhh'. He'd just say it.
Sir Galahad: Maybe he was dictating it.
King Arthur: Oh shut up!
Sir Robin: Well does it say anything else?
Brother Maynard: No, just "Aaaaauuuugggghhh".
[knights making groaning sounds]
Sir Bedevere: Do you think he could have mean, 'Camaaaauuuuggghhhh'?
Sir Galahad: Where's that?
Sir Bedevere: France, I think.
Sir Lancelot: Isn't there a Saint "Aaaaavvvveeeesss" in Cornwall?
King Arthur: No that's Saint "Ives".
Sir Lancelot: Oh, yes. "Iiiiiivvvveeessss"!
[All knights saying, "Iiiiiivvvveeessss"]
Sir Bedevere: Whooooouuuuaaa!
Sir Lancelot: No no no, it's "Aaaaauuuugggghhhh" from the back of the throat.
Sir Bedevere: No I mean, "Whoooouuuuaaa!" as in surprise and alarm.
Sir Lancelot: Oh, you mean like, "AAAHH!"
Sir Bedevere: Yes, that's it. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

YES that's it Vantiki, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SSsweeetTT!!!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-14 12:59 am   Permalink

Awesome stuff as always, VT!

But I jus' LOVES me dat Pickle Face! He reminds me so much of the old "Rumph" ceramics from the early 70's.

Wonderful!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-14 08:24 am   Permalink

all hand built man, that is crazy! beautiful work. Lee, i remember the mugs you are talking about from the 70's, pickled has that feel.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 01:40 am   Permalink

Perfect job on the stone glaze VanT! Just curious - did you look at some of the Rapa Nui or Tahitian stone structures (ahu/marae) when you designed these?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-16 6:10 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for the compliments everyone!

Jonsey - an extra mahalo for the first bid

Tiki Lee - Stoked you like the pickled head - he is one of my favorites! I gotta see some of these Rumph ceramics! Did a google-look-see and most of the goods took me to long-ended auctions for his work.

OceaOtica - Yep - hand building is crazy. Crazy like a fox! A crazy fox that loves tikis I mean. And clay. And, um... never mind!

Paipo - So happy to hear you (the all-time stone expert) likes my stone glaze! I had a lot more green on them, but the black really bloomed during the firing. I may add a bit more "moss" on the next few stone fellows. As for research - I'm afraid I didn't really base it on moai photos. I kinda went with a mix of what I always wanted to find in the jungle after seeing Indiana Jones when I was a kid I was going to pattern the stones off of Hawaiian rock - but it would end up all black, so I opted for a lighter weathered stone. I was sweating bullets when I opened the kiln door! I may try a Hawaiian bassalt type mug in the future...

Henrik "VanTiki"

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 8:14 pm   Permalink

Van you da man! Nice work! These things are freaking huge

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-20 12:51 pm   Permalink

Okay folks - Got some finished mugs out of the kiln this morning - and you may want to grab a hankey and a comforting drink because I have a very sad story to tell...

First off - the good news! The Mr. Happy Ms. Angry/Mr. Angry Ms. Happy mugs are all ready for the wedding this Sunday (I'm stoked because the wedding is at the Waikiki Aquarium! I get to look at the fishes!). Here are the goods. I suppose this is a good time to warn everyone that this is an image-intensive post:

Next up we have the sad news - I call it "The Ku That Couldn't Hold His Liquor (in 3-D)". Yep - the big ol' prickly Ku that I sculpted a month or so ago that developed the nasty crack in his bottom didn't make it. Sure, it looks great on the shelf - but god help your floor if you try and fill this fellow up with any fluids. If I started him really low on eBay would there be any interest in a mug that looks neat but is a teetotaler? If interest is low he'll spend the rest of his days high-and-dry on my office shelf:

So that is the update - I also wanna let everyone know my computer conked out yesterday so I am currently on our laptop-backup. What does this mean you to guys? Well, I dunno if I am gonna get the Stone God #2 auction started tomorrow as planned. May have to wait till later in the week (We'll see when I get my partner in crime back from the shop).

Mahalo for peeking!

Henrik VanTiki

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-20 1:34 pm   Permalink

Hey Van

Could still be the greatest toothbrush holder in a great tiki bathroom

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-20 4:01 pm   Permalink

Well, that's not as bad as I expected...I was expecting maybe a shattered mug or a fire in the studio!
I'm sure you'll still get plenty of interest. I doubt I would ever use one of these for drinks even if it was functional- it would be too precious. I only have about 6 mugs that are "drinkers" - the rest are considered part of my art collection. I think most people would buy them for their sculptural qualities foremost!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-21 2:44 pm   Permalink

Paipo - I think you are right. He would be a bit hefty for drinking out of anyways! I'll offer up the Ku #2 in a "scratch-n-dent" auction. TeaKey - you may be onto something with the toothbrush holder. If I wasn't a sonicare guy I'd be all over that! (I do plan on sculpting a few ceramic tiki shelves for the bathroom project.. ).

Spent the morning getting the wedding gift tiki mugs wrapped. A trip to the craft store for 4$ worth of goodies and TA DA!

and that is how you wrap a tiki mug set wedding gift!

Yep - I expect some strange looks when I plop these fellows on the ol' gift table.

Henrik VanTiki

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-23 7:15 pm   Permalink

Ladies and Gents -
here you see the rough sculpt for the "Octo-Hat" - the "Nautical Themed" tiki mug I'm putting together for the summer tiki-swap over on the carving thread. I'm bending a lot of rules on this guy (I really hope all his little suckers don't fall off!) and I am still kinda winging it on how it is gonna open. Needs to dry out a bit before I add wood texture and detail to the tiki and wrinkly-fun on the octo-guy:

Yes - for the ultra-observant out there, that is really more of a hepta-pus crouching on the tiki's head, as he has only 7 legs (I kinda ran out of room).

Should have this guy detailed and finished up Wed night!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation