FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 8:29 pm   Permalink

You're taking it to a new level with these latest two mugs. I am totally digging the mood of them! Not just a tiki, but a little undersea vignette. It's always good to see how a theme can develop when you run with it by doing consecutive versions. I'd love to see an underwater version of your stone gods or a moai...
Now could you put Mr Bali Hai next to it for scale - that perspective shot with the feet is messin' with my head! Makes it look as big as a trashcan!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 8:40 pm   Permalink

Awesome work mate Can't wait to see these guys with some colour

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-29 01:20 am   Permalink

best yet

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-29 07:50 am   Permalink

Yeah, yeah, yeah....go big brother!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-29 11:15 am   Permalink

These are excellent. I just love the idea of under water tikis. here.s an idea - put a spicket in there and make it a "rum bucket"? Can't wait to see more.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-29 5:12 pm   Permalink

Aloha all!

TeaKEY - I'm not even close to the speed and coolness of TikiShark! Remember, I still gotta fire, glaze and fire these guys - they are a long way from done. Besides - painting is way harder if you ask me

Paipo - I did enjoy visiting this theme a second time - and I think it would work GREAT with a stone tiki! He could be partially collapsed with coral growths all over! As far as scale goes - I dusted off the Official Mug Of Scale and took some blurry indoor shots:

This guy is gonna be freaking heavy!

Hewey - I can't wait to get some glaze on these guys also! I dunno what I'm going to do - bright corals and starfish, dark lava rocks - but what color for the tiki? Wood? A blue underwater hue? And how about the Octo guy? Dilemma!

HipHipaHula and Babalu - mucho Mahalo for the compliments!

AlohaStation - hmmm... spigot.... not a bad idea! Dunno how I'd attach it and keep everything food safe. I'll have to research that for a future mug.

Mahalo everyone -

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-10 05:40 am   Permalink

What's been cooking in the VanT studio?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-10 12:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-10 05:40, Paipo wrote:
What's been cooking in the VanT studio?

Welp <sniffle sniffle> I got a nasty cold last week, and I'm just getting over it. Therefore I kinda skipped Tiki Thursday for a spell - sorry for the lack of posts! Things are slowly drying in the studio - and it looks like I may be bisque firing a slew of Tiki Tiles (for my bathroom project) along with the two octo-hat mug sculptures Monday. I've got some plans for next Wednesday's studio session - I am gonna either do a slightly different Octo mug (Smaller and taller) or finally get around to doing some of these wall hanging masks I've been sketching. I'm meeting with Mr. VanTiki senior (an electrical engineer) to go over wiring my LED flicker circuits so I can get Mt. MonkeyBusiness and the Stone Fire God up and running. Lots to do - stupid cold!

Mahalo for checking in!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-27 1:30 pm   Permalink

Aloha folks - remember me?

Wanted to give everyone an update as to what is cooking at VanTiki studio. As some of you know I've been up to my eyeballs with our bathroom renovation project - today I'm pressing the last of the 160+ tiki tiles we are putting up (thank god!). I have a mug ready for sale (stone god #1) - but my main computer is in the shop fro a few more days so I can't post pics (or update the VanTiki.com site) just yet - sorry! I do have a slew of mugs ready to glaze, and I hope to get them painted and fired next week (now that the bathroom is winding down). On top of all that I am happy to say I've signed up for another session with the Hawaii Potter's Guild - and that means more Pickled Heads! Lots of folks expressed interest in the pickled heads I made last time I had access to a pottery wheel. I made one last night (it is sooooooo spiffy - I may not be able to part with him) and plan on making 5 or more for sale in the next 8 sessions. Hope to have a few ready for Halloween I'm also getting a very dark clay body for throwing some of the heads - a bit of an experiment. I'll post photos once I get my main computer up and running.

Mahalo for your patience!

Henrik "VanTiki"

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 7:59 pm   Permalink

OK! Got some shots of the newest Pickled Head sculpt. He's a tad larger than a softball - sorry for the lack of scale reference! Enjoy his pickle-y-ness:

I'll me making more next week - Just purchased some black clay - can't wait! cursed burned heads!

Mahalo -

Henrik "VanTiki"

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-29 5:19 pm   Permalink

Woooooooooo! clay again! You need to make one of these pickled heads into a full on shrunken head, with the lips and eyes tied shut etc etc

Cant wait to see the finished octo-mugs!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-30 11:50 am   Permalink

VanTiki~ WOW! The sunken tiki is SOOOOOOOO cool! really great stuff! Your work is so expressive! Now, are you actually going to be able to do a run of the giant sunken tiki mugs? I thought I would be too complicated to create a mold out of?
And the pickled head is amazing! Almost alive looking! (in a pickled sort of way)
And here I thought your skull tiles were the best thing I'd ever seen! You've surpassed your self!
K. Angel Pilago (Hawaiian Elder & my personal Yoda)
[img]http://tikiroom.com/img/5514x538c224a.jpg[

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-01 8:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-30 11:50, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
VanTiki~ WOW! The sunken tiki is SOOOOOOOO cool! really great stuff! Your work is so expressive! Now, are you actually going to be able to do a run of the giant sunken tiki mugs? I thought I would be too complicated to create a mold out of?
And the pickled head is amazing! Almost alive looking! (in a pickled sort of way)
And here I thought your skull tiles were the best thing I'd ever seen! You've surpassed your self!

Mahalo Tiki Shark!

We were on the big island the weekend before last and I realized too late that I forgot to e-mail you and find out if we could get an up close peek at your recent work! Next time - perhaps if the Super Ferry starts heading to Hilo!

As far as the Octo-Mug goes - it is a one-of-a-kind sculpt. I may do a few more in that style, but there is no way I could ever mold it! I finally got into town today and re-stocked my glaze cabinet, so you will see the octo guys finished shortly!

Hewey - I hear you on the shrunken head thing! I was toying with the idea of adding string to they eyes/mouth - but I thought a pickled head would put a different spin on things. Those VanTiki natives are an odd bunch!

Mahalo for the compliments! THey keep me pushing the clay!

Henrik "VanTiki"

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-04 4:41 pm   Permalink

Aloha everyone!

Lots of new photos - got the Stone God #1 out of the kiln last week - but first off I shot a multi-angle photo-set of the pickled head I did last week:

Next up we have the massive Stone God #1!

How massive? Welp, I took some scale shots for you guys - It is a hare under 12 inches tall:

I am updating the vantiki.com site now (it is gonna take a while to upload) - and I'll post the ebay info in the marketplace when the auction starts this Saturday.

Mahalo for looking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-04 5:24 pm   Permalink

Is that a mug, or an actual chimnea?! Its HUGE! Nice work mate

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation