FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-10-24 4:55 pm   Permalink

Wow! A huge mahalo for the tiki mug love! Paipo - I can't believe you guys had a PM with the nickname "Piggy"! Did folks call him that to his face? And Sneaky - I'm taking those guys to court! Seriously, though, I can't believe you didn't buy the little plastic guy.

Just put the finished touches on a "jumbo" pickled head I started last Wednesday (this is possibly the last pickled head of the season):

This guy is BIG! (this seems to be a re-occurring theme with my mugs....) the black dots on his face are bits of my ancient disintegrating sponge.

Thanks again - it is really wonderful to get encouragement from Tiki connoisseurs like you!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-10-24 5:21 pm   Permalink

Octopus!! I love it VT! I could dig it!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-01 4:05 pm   Permalink

Ahhh - the power of glazes. They can utterly destroy a mug or make it grand! I just got off the glaze roller coaster with my Mt. Monkeybusiness mug. I wanted to do a deep blue with light blue velvet highlights (to set off a vivid red interior) and set to work with my trusty Amaco velvet under glazes. Little did I know that the deep blue "fluxes out" (a term I just learned after a panicked bout of research) at cone 5 temperatures and envelopes everything with a dark blue glossy coat (totally erasing the light blue highlights). I was devastated when I opened the kiln. I spent some time wiring it up with my TikiFire Mark 3 flicker box - and it looked GREAT flaming away on our living room shelf - as long as the lights were dim and you couldn't see the glaze! What to do. After staring at it glumly for a week I called the good folks at Amaco to see if a second coat of glaze and a lower temp firing (cone 05) would be salvation or disaster. Their fab support gave me the green light, and I re-applied the teal blue highlights and sent Mt. Monkeybussiness once more into the breech. I can't tell you how stoked I was when I looked thru the peephole this morning! Wondrous velvet blue! Deep satin clefts! Ahh - thank you Spirits Of The Glaze!

I'll post pics tomorrow - gotta get back to work!

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-01 5:59 pm   Permalink

What, no pictures?:(

I would love to see a before and after, good blue bad blue.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-02 8:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-01 17:59, teaKEY wrote:
What, no pictures?:(

I would love to see a before and after, good blue bad blue.

You got it! Ladies and Gentlemen of the Tiki Committee - allow me to present: Mt. MonkeyBusiness! An illuminated 2-stage mug. 1st floor: Tiki Lamp. 2nd floor: Volcanic shot glass with secret skull emblem. Cool blue monkey velvet with a molten fire interior!

I'll get some shots of him glowing away tomorrow morning. I can't tell you how cool he looks lit up! And teaKEY just for you here is a glimpse of the 1st glaze that I hated:

ew!

Mahalo for peeking -

Henrik "VanTiki"

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2007-11-02 20:30 ]

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-03 09:29 am   Permalink

Cool. Grape ape, or should I say blue gorilla. I have to say the skull under the cap is a nice touch. I've been doing that sort of stuff from the first tiki. Its those types of touches that in some cases is a testoment as the mark of the artist. Something like that.

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2007-11-03 11:46 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-08 10:51 am   Permalink

Ya-hooo! I finally got some of my "mini" pickled heads of of the kiln last night! Very happy with the results. Here are some quick pics - I'll get better shots once my computer is back from the shop. again. dont ask. too painful. Looks like this year's batch of Pickled Heads will yield 3 minis (a possible 4th was started last night - but he may get tossed back into the pickle barrel) and 2 megas. Can't wait to see the 2 big heads all fired up!

Mahalo for peeking -

Henrik "VanTiki"

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-12 2:57 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

Been working away on a new style of mugs - and I am totally digging the way that things are looking! I present Iron Tiki #1 - a work in progress (still have a LOT more detail to add - metal plates, bolts, rivets, etc...) - I was gonna wait till the sculpt was done before posting pics - but I though you may want a glimpse of the work in progress

Mahalo for looking -

Henrik "VanTiki"

TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-12 3:30 pm   Permalink

Frigg'n Nutz...& Boltz VT!!!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-13 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-12 15:30, TravelingJones wrote:
Frigg'n Nutz...& Boltz VT!!!

Mahalo Jonesy! I've really been enjoying this one. It is freaking HUGE! I forgot to take a scale photo of it - but it is more along the lines of a tiki pitcher than a tiki mug. The sculpt is done (save for some minor tweaking I'll do one it has dried out some more - taking forever now that winter is here!). Without further adieu - the photos:

Mahalo for peeking!

Henrik "VanTiki"

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-13 12:40 pm   Permalink

Setting record highs for Hand built mugs!!!!! Love it, still very tiki which is surprising at the same time. The only concern is that tongue seems like its attached by a thread of clay.

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-13 1:41 pm   Permalink

WOW!
Great Work Henrik! You're always pushing the Craft with your off-the-wall concepts!
Mechanical/Robotic Tikis RAWK!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-13 4:24 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Ken and teaKEY! I know I've said it before - but it is SO encouraging to get compliments and critiques from the amazing pool of artists that make up TC. I really appreciate it!

And teaKEY - about the tongue. Give me some credit! It wraps over the bottom lip and is firmly anchored to the base of the lower jaw. Of course, now that I have typed those words there will be a freak shrinkage-related stress fracture while drying that will cause the tounge to fall off!

Thanks again -
Henrik "VanTiki"

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-13 5:02 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I guess it is no different from the other parts that stick off like the brow and the brow looks totally solid. As a side story (and toally unrelated), my dad just made a kiln size peice and had it drying at the local pottery shop and was going down to put it in and it was all ready put in the kiln with the entire back of the peice wiped out. His stuff never breaks and I never got to even see what it looked like.

cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-13 5:19 pm   Permalink

Absolutely, completely, undeniably....just amazing!

Henrik, you are an inspiration.

ch

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation