FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 2:39 pm   Permalink

thanks for the update vantiki. good luck with the next batch. there are very positive comments on this thread from some really talented artists and serious mug collectors, so i know you'll be very successful with your art.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-04 3:23 pm   Permalink

Aloha everyone -

got some more photos of the work in progress. First off, here is "batch 1" all snug in the kiln - blissfully unaware of the disaster that is about to unfold.

here is the "explodo-skull" after breaking apart due to steam build up. The sad news is I found out he clipped the "eyebrow" off of a nearby toothy mug when he blew up. Looks like I will have a few more damaged mugs for my self of shame!

and finally, did a few more of the toothy guys this weekend. You can see the first toothy guy I did back in 2002 at the end of the line up that I use for reference.

Things have picked up significantly at my *real* job - so I hope to get these guys glazed.... well... sometime this week! The website is progressing smoothly - and best of all it looks like the rain has finally stopped out here!

Mahalo!
VanTiki

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-04 3:35 pm   Permalink

i love those guys.... let me know when they become available so i can get one before king buys um all up.....

Kirby's Island.com****Facebook**

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-04 3:43 pm   Permalink

Ho brah VanTiki geev'um Pop-PinG skulls pic's!!! Mahaloz for the update! Like the others, look forward to seeing the sweetz baked and glazed! Shaka...fLipiTy-Flip-flOpP-N-fliPPP...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-04 4:55 pm   Permalink

Vantiki, it looks like you are finally getting the process down pat. That Toothy mug is really striking. I don't think I have Ever seen such Bold detail. LOVE it!!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-10 12:00 pm   Permalink

Mug update!

Well, the I fired the glazed mugs on saturday and could hardly sleep that night as I waited for the kiln to cool enough to open safely. Sunday morning was like christmas - I tiptoed into my studio, lifted the lid of the kiln, and saw these babies:

Whoo! I am SO happy with the way they turned out. The stained porcelain teeth on the Trepanning Skulls look fantastic - right out of Adventure Land!

Work on the site is almost done - we just have to figure out packing/shipping costs today and I need to measure the size/capacity of the finished mugs. I'll keep you posted.

Mahalo,
VanTIki

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-10 1:10 pm   Permalink

how are you going to determine size? mai tais or mojitos?

it should read like this on the box:

"trepanning skull is 4 mai tais big. you drink 4 and pass out."

none of that ol' boring standard fl. ozs.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-10 6:56 pm   Permalink

Shaka Ho Vantiki!!! Excellent workz brah! Those chunky headz make a statement...like, "Kapu da kine drinks ana dirty lick'nz okole maluna!!! Lolo workz,cuz!

flip-flop-flippp....

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rorysm
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 12:38 pm   Permalink

cool stuff, i'm only afraid they're gonna be out of my price range!

Really good work that is completely original.

View Profile of Rorysm Send a personal message to Rorysm  Goto the website of Rorysm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 1:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-11 12:38, Rorysm wrote:
cool stuff, i'm only afraid they're gonna be out of my price range!

I feel your pain!

We priced out the mugs yesterday and calculated shipping. Here we go - the big price announcement!
(takes deep breath)
Looks like the mugs will range from $40 to $70 depending on the type (some take more work to make than others). The bummer of living in the islands is shipping & handling costs - which came out to $15.50 for a well packed mug sent insured priority mail. We did our best to price them as fair as possible and still make it worthwhile for me to make them. I wanted to set fixed prices for them, and avoid the hassles of e-bay. This may change in the future depending on what you folks prefer (or if you think the prices are too insane!). I suppose it may be time to move this thread to the marketplace forum? The site will be up soon - I'll keep you posted!

Mahalo -
VanTiki

kbgator
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-14 10:20 am   Permalink

Awesome work, I believe that these mugs will make a great addition to my collection as well. Love to her from you once you start selling them. Keep up the pheonominal work.

View Profile of kbgator Send a personal message to kbgator  Email kbgator     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-14 10:52 am   Permalink

i think that's a fair price for original art. although, a tiki central discount might be a nice incentive.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bete
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-14 11:06 am   Permalink

Just checked out your website, looks like you sold all of them already, wow, nice work.

View Profile of Bete Send a personal message to Bete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-14 11:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-14 11:06, Bete wrote:
Just checked out your website, looks like you sold all of them already, wow, nice work.

Yeah - Did a "soft launch" of the website by private messaging a few Tiki Central folks who PM'ed me asking to buy the mugs. It's still officially secret!

We are still working out bugs on the site, and I am still debating weather a "buy it now" on ebay would be better than an "e-mail me for invoice" option. It's tricky as each mug is a one-of-a-kind item so a shopping cart/pay-pal button doesn't work (I don't want 20 people clicking to order the same mug). Any thoughts?

The "day job" has kept me out of the studio all week. Working on more mugs this weekend. Will keep everyone posted - the official announcement will be in the Tiki Marketplace section.

Mahalo!

VanTIki

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 12:14 pm   Permalink

Aloha folks!

Did some Trepanning Accidents this weekend -

really happy with this batch - the teeth (especially the molars) look terrific. You can see the 4 bone dry Pongo mugs in the background. Just need to sculpt a few more mugs to have enough for a full kiln load. I'll post some shots of the glazed skulls in a week or 2.

To add to the ceramic insanity that is going on, Ms. Tiki and I decided to make all the tiles for the bathroom addition we are putting on the house. Nothing like a little D.I.Y.!

VanTiki

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation