FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-22 6:38 pm   Permalink

Excellent!!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-22 7:08 pm   Permalink

Mahalo everyone! I really like this fellow and I'm happy to hear you all like it too!

TeaKEY - I dunno about ground breaking - but it is currently back-breaking! I'm glad it gets lighter after drying out

Mahalo Jonsey!

Hewey - I agree! I've always felt funny calling the big sculpts "mugs" - how about "a mug for 2"?

Paipo - Glad you like it (and that you don't want to kill me)! Your skull eater is my absolute fav (along with the mini-marq in the pebble). Sorry to hear about your work getting ripped off. I'll be sure to mention you and provide a link to your site when the piece is finished (unless you would rather I didn't). Just so you know - the next cannibal idol will be skull free - as there will be a living (and afraid) face in the mouth.

Looks like the mailman tried to deliver my new clay extruder - but I was out doing errands! Poop. Now I gotta wait till tomorrow. Get ready for some BIG coil built mugs and sculpts. I am so gonna do a zombie mug!

Once again, Mahalo for the support!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-24 5:52 pm   Permalink

Aloha -

Just unboxed the new extruder! Man - this thing is bigger than I thought! What does this mean for VanTiki Studio? Well, if you thought my mugs were big before this - you'd better look out! Seriously, though, I am excited about the possibilities this thing offers up for wall sconces, large scale ceramic tikis, and big coil built forms. This weekend I have to do some serious re-organizing of the studio in order to clear up some wall space to mount it. Here you see Marzipan checking out the new toy:

Cant wait to use it!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-25 06:32 am   Permalink

Hey Van,

Very choice work on the cannibal...I think that this is one of my favorites of yours. Your style is loads of fun! I really like the way you integrate these two different clay bodies. Your going to have a hoot and a holler with that new extruder...watch out folks, Van's getting ready to put the funk into funky!...the shapes are going to get wild

Best...

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-25 3:31 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Babalu!

Yeah, I can't wait to get the extruder up on the wall and squirting clay (eew)! Been working on cannibal idol #2 today - the offering in this ones mouth is slightly more fresh

A work in progress - Still lost of stone work to add. Wait till you see its ear piercings!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-26 10:10 am   Permalink

Hey Van, Maybe sometime you should invest in a sand blaster too, or at least experiment with someone else's...It gives a real cool look to clay surfaces when you lightly hit (spray) dried greenware. It works great to use paper stencils in conjunction with a sand blaster so as to leave smooth surfaces juxtaposed to the texture that the sand blaster makes. I think this type of finish used here and there in some of your work would look really hot. I may have to build a little spray booth myself....major fun tool.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-26 4:41 pm   Permalink

Aloha All!

Babalu - I had never thought of sandblasting bisque ware - what a great idea! I've got a gun and media - I just need to get around to building a booth. Job one is gonna be getting the extruder set up, though!

Ok, keep your hands and arms inside the boat, folks, because this fellow bites! May I present Cannibal Idol #2: The Fresh Sacrifice -

Mahalo for peeking!

Henrik "VanTiki"

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-26 5:16 pm   Permalink

I like chocolate

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 05:52 am   Permalink

Vantastic!!

Hey, when you do get around to experimenting with the sand blaster...roll out a couple of test slabs...test leather hard, bone dry, and bisqued...

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-01 10:45 am   Permalink

Got the Bone Boxes out of the kiln yesterday - they look great, but are sadly cracked! I was really focused on tile pressing when I put these guys together and let them dry out too quickly. Still - at least one of them will hold fluids and the other will make a great peanut jar! I've posted links to the auctions in the marketplace forum.

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-01 5:40 pm   Permalink

#2 turned out great...the dude inside looks suitably terrified and I love those chompers! They look a lot like sperm whale teeth:

[ This Message was edited by: Paipo 2008-02-02 00:18 ]

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-01 11:32 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Paipo!

Oh MAN - I love those sperm whale tooth photos you posted! Every year in December there is an arts/crafts fair at the Mission Houses Museum in downtown Honolulu (you Oahu folks may know of what I speak). It is a great fair, and every year I make a beeline to the same vendors who have a big sperm whale tooth in their case of curios. Oh - if only I could have that tooth! Not only do I love teeth (as you may have noticed in my mugs - Ms. VanTiki is always asking "what's up with you and the teeth?") but with Moby Dick being one of my favorite books combined with being an icon of the south seas with a dash of the old Hawaii whaling industry the sperm whale tooth is the bomb. OK. Perhaps I've said too much. It is late! Forgive my toothy ramblings

Henrik "VanTiki"

crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-03 11:41 am   Permalink

off the top Van!

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-13 11:25 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

Welp - I am so digging the B-5 Brown clay and the stone-ish look I decided to put the extruder through its paces and put together some variations on a mug I've been kicking around in my head for quite some time. May I present the Cursed Idol Hands. WHat is the curse, you ask? Well - it mainly revolves around the fact that once you flip and fill this mug, you gotta finish drinking it before you can put it back down! I roughed one out today, and I'll try another tomorrow. Worked out some assembling/structural problems on this guy - and the proportions ended up a bit odd - It was bugging at first but now I dig it in a primitive way Still lots of texturing and detailing to be done and that always changes everything (So much so that I am always hesitant to post work in progress shots) - but you get the picture. The plundered stone hands of a priceless jungle idol. Mainly I wanted something that would look WAY cool and unexpected to set off a mug collection

sorry for the photo quality - used my cellphone.

THanks peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2008-02-13 23:34 ]

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-14 12:03 am   Permalink

I want what he's on!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation