FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-19 7:17 pm   Permalink

Inspiring work as always! Love the ideas you com up with

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flat Black
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 08:24 am   Permalink

I don't think you spend too much time on your back stories, I think that is what really makes your mugs. Your imagination is key to your style.

I'm anxiously awaiting your next update.

View Profile of Flat Black Send a personal message to Flat Black      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-26 11:26 am   Permalink

Aloha!

I just pulled some glaze test chips out of the kiln this morning and wanted to share the results with everyone to get your (highly valued) opinions. THe B-3 brown is DARK! Wow! The black wash I did is almost invisible! Here we go-
here they are in full sun and shade:

And here are some close ups:

The colors are:

1 - Avacado Green wash
2 - Emeraude light coat
3 - Moss highlights
4 - Black wash (cant even see it!)
5 - grey wash

What do you all think? I'm digging all of them except #5. OK - gotta get to the day job!

Mahalo-
Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
yumyumkid
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-26 11:32 pm   Permalink

I like the 4 & 5. How about a test tile of the gray wash first and then a the black over the top? 1 & 3 are also cool. Are these for the Idol Hands?

View Profile of yumyumkid Send a personal message to yumyumkid  Email yumyumkid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-27 02:03 am   Permalink

1 is awesome, cool mossy look.
2 looks too glossy for stone, not a natural kinda color effect.
3 looks okay, but I think the moss look on 1 is more natural looking though
4 agreed - not enough black wash. I would like to see it with more black wash effect
5 is okay, looks like grouting between stone bricks.

# 1 is my fave by far.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flat Black
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-27 07:07 am   Permalink

If these are for the hands, I would stay away from the #2 because in the pictures it just looks too glossy. That seems like a good finish for something that was supposed to look more "new", or maybe something underwater themed.

I think #1 is the best, has a very natural aged look to it.

View Profile of Flat Black Send a personal message to Flat Black      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Meheadhunter
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-02-27 10:04 am   Permalink

I like #3....It has an aged look with sort of a mossy looking growth on it...and I like the darker undercuts on it as well!!!

View Profile of Meheadhunter Send a personal message to Meheadhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-07 5:10 pm   Permalink

Okay folks, before we get to the goods I wanna get this right out in the open: This mug/pitcher has a crack. Yep. Took it out of the kiln this morning, and thought all looked good until I saw a glimmer of light showing thru the bottom. Sigh. Does the mug hold fluid? No. Does the mug hold straws, chopsticks, candles, and other non-liquid goodies? Heck yeah! OK. Got that out of the way. On to the photos!

I reaaaaally like this one (crack and all)! Put a lot of time into the glaze and it really paid off. Will kick off the auction tomorrow (I'll post in the marketplace thread when the auction is up).

Thanks for looking!

Henrik

PS - I've changed my assembly techniques with the hopes of avoiding future cracking - stronger seams and a lot of clay compression before drying it out. We'll see if it helps - unfortunately I didn't do the new moves to the Cannibal #2 mug - hope it makes it.

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2008-03-07 17:12 ]

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bgreen

Posted: 2008-03-08 08:48 am   Permalink

Looks sweet! That glaze is very nice!
Keep up the amazing work! Everyone I show your work to
in the ceramics class I'm taking is floored!

View Profile of Bgreen Send a personal message to Bgreen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-08 09:20 am   Permalink

Wow, that is incredible! My favorite by a mile!

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-08 8:21 pm   Permalink

OHMIGOSHOHMIGOSHOHMIGOSH!

The is soooooooooooooo bitchin!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Meheadhunter
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-03-08 11:06 pm   Permalink

That turned out great...Love the glaze choice!!!

View Profile of Meheadhunter Send a personal message to Meheadhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-09 12:04 am   Permalink

I didn't vote, but I'm glad to see you went with the one I liked the most too. The extra funky dank interior really sets it off.
It's a real shame you've had a few mishaps with these pieces, but such is the nature of pushing the boundaries creatively. Let's hope you iron out the cracks and have an unbroken run of watertight (rumtight?) vessels from now on!
In other news, I was watching "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" yesterday, and got this strange feeling of deja vu:

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones

Posted: 2008-03-09 12:40 pm   Permalink

Dang krackerz always spoiling da best wun'z +Best in Show! =Nice Finish!!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-20 2:55 pm   Permalink

Aloha folks -
Sorry for the long silence! Time for a VanTiki studio update.

First off, a big mahalo for the happy vibes about Cannibal Idol #1. It is on its way to its new home in the UK!

Bgreen - Ceramics class?! Oh no! Now I feel pressure knowing that clay pros are checking out my stuff!

Atomicchick, Tiki Shark, and MeHeadHunter - thank you! you guys are the best!

Paipo - Whoa! I LOVE that movie (as you may have guessed) - I've always loved the way they did they eyes on that cave entrance. I just may have to do a tribute mug now! As for the cracking - well, I've been working on it (see rest of post)

Jonesy - I ran your post through my Traveling Jones Translatograph 2000 and it assures me that you gave me a compliment. Mahalo!

OK - now for the update!

Been pulling out my few remaining hairs over this cracking issue. So frustrating! Turns out I've been suffering from a mixture of 3 things - switching to a clay body with a lower sand/grog content (more prone to cracking), "flashback" - a heat transfer conundrum that occurs when a cooling mug is sitting on a hot kiln shelf, and (most significant) big heavy mugs that can't shrink while drying due to the pressure on their bases. I'll be drying my mugs on their sides from now on, and all firing will be done with some fancy-pants porcelain stilts to provide uniform heating/cooling. The uncertainty factor that is ever present in ceramics is torture!

Unfortunately, these changes came too late for my last batch of mugs - and the cracking curse has struck again. Idol's Hand #1 cracked, and I think I may just keep it. Here it is in all its TRON/Mayan splendor:

Some good studio news is I am now using my AMAZING new clay signature stamp machined out of solid brass by claystamps.com - this is about 1000% better than using a rubber sig stamp:

Opened the kiln this morning to check out how the glaze fire went for Cannibal Idol #2, Idol's Hand #2, and Skull Rock Point. Looks like the cannibal cracked - but the glaze seems to have filled the crack and it may be watertight! Once the mug cools some more I'll give it the hydro test. Skull Rock and the Hand look crack free - but I got some foaming in the interior glaze! Argh! F ef Effity F! So, I've got them cooking once again to try and float out the glaze bubbles. Fingers crossed (and fingernails all chewed away). Here is a peek at the cooling Cannibal:

More photos tomorrow!

Mahalo for peeking,
Henrik "VanTiki"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation