FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 09:33 am   Permalink

Killer shop Henrik!! To have such a nice work space on the island must be a dream come true. The work is looking great as always...You can spot a Vantiki anywhere. The hiding of the coins is perhaps one of the coolest things I've read about on TC....your a nut

May the clay gods always smile your way....

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 7:26 pm   Permalink

Babalu - Mahalo! I do love my workspace - it was 90% of what we liked about the house!

Hewey - thanks, man - my fingers are triple crossed every time I tun on the kiln nowadays!

Kahu - I hope you score a mug too! I'll be rooting for you.

pdrake - I take it you like the monkey god!

Here is the finished sculpt - really happy with this one. The clay has a lot of sand in it - so the surface is rather rough (in a good way)! Tried something new on this one (once again- inspired by Indiana Jones - specifically that scull that Indy drinks the mind control elixir out of in Temple Of Doom). I liked the "mouthpiece" that came out of the skull's mouth - and I added something like that on the back rim of this mug. It has a little groove on the inside to aid the potent rums on their migration to your mouth. Hope it works! At least it looks cool. Here go the photos:

A bit overcast this afternoon so the photos are a tad dark - sorry!

Mahalo for peeking. I'm off to Skull Eater #2 (hopefully crack free this time around)

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 7:33 pm   Permalink

I'd never heard of geocaching before, but looked it up after reading your thread. Interesting stuff. Pity I dont own a GPS. Ah well.

Keep up the interesting designs - totally original and out there! I love it! so much detail in each piece. Do you only ever make one of each? So much time must go into each one?!?

cheers,
harro.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 9:22 pm   Permalink

Those ears look great for handles - I can just see someone picking up this bad boy with both hands and slamming down a massive cocktail

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 09:07 am   Permalink

dude... your work is always so amazing but this monkey god is just INTENSE......

very nice

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 12:20 pm   Permalink

Harro - Happy to hear you checked out geocaching! its a lot of fun - great if you do a lot of traveling, as it always takes you to neat places well off the beaten path. Anyone planning a Hawaii vacation should buy a GPS receiver and hit some of the top rated caches out here - places that are not in any tour book! As far as making one of each mug - yep, that is the way I roll. I will do similar mugs (like the stone mugs), but each will be slightly different. Think of it as wood carving in clay

Hewey - You are right - the ears are in perfect alignment to the top spout!

MonkyMan - a big mahalo!

Started an odd (well, odder than usual) mug last night. Wanted to do a vampire bat mug. Is it working? I dunno. Will post photos after I detail the critter

Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik "Vantiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pawel

Posted: 2008-04-25 12:47 pm   Permalink

All these would make AWESOME rat rod shift knobs just down sized

View Profile of pawel Send a personal message to pawel  Goto the website of pawel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 8:04 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Pawel - I agree! If only I could get a hold of a shrinking ray....

Okey Dokey - Got a new sculpt done today that continues the animal god theme - may I present: The Jug Of the Vampire Bat!

It is my understanding that the Natives of VanTiki Island fill this big baby with rum and tropical juices and leave it at the mouth of the vampire bats' cave in an elaborate ceremony every year to avoid being attacked in their sleep by the thirsty critters. It is carved from stone and adorned with the teeth of lost livestock, mysterious blue stones found deep in VanTiki Bay, and the skull of Sir Thomas Smiddly who succumbed to the vapors after being thoroughly drained one night by the bats. Good times!

Sorry for the picture quality - really rainy and dark day in Kailua, so I had to take the shots in studio (and do my best to keep the camera from shaking).

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 10:32 pm   Permalink

Wow, that is sooooooooooo great! AND with a great back story!
I find it hard to express my sense of wonder at seeing your magnificent work.

K. Angel Pilago (Hawaiian Elder & my personal Yoda)

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bgreen

Posted: 2008-04-28 5:53 pm   Permalink

Very nice VanTiki!
Your mugs are insane, I will really have to save up some cash to bid on one of them one day. Keep up the great work! I have been battling glazes in my Art Center's cone 10 reduction kiln, with painful results. Just chalking it up to a learning curve. You fire at cone 5-6 right?

Take care,
BGreen

View Profile of Bgreen Send a personal message to Bgreen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 9:14 pm   Permalink

Wicked! Like the bat.

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 9:25 pm   Permalink

Your stuff continually blows me away. It's all got a weird Evil Dead 1 feel. (That's a compliment). One day I'm gonna get my hands on one....one day.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 12:58 am   Permalink

Yeah- That's a Baaaad mug!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 09:09 am   Permalink

WOW!!! I am very impressed by all of your recent stuff, well really all of your works. These are great. I can't believe how intricate these mugs are, and I can't wait to see the next one.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flat Black
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 09:16 am   Permalink

I can't believe it's been 2 weeks since I peeked at your thread!

The new mugs look great, I honestly don't think you've made anything that wasn't something I wanted.

I'll keep bidding on them and hopefully get my hands on something someday.

Keep up the awesome.

The more I look at the side view of the Monkey mug the more it has a "Creatures of the Black Lagoon" feel to it. I like that one a LOT.

[ This Message was edited by: Flat Black 2008-05-07 09:18 ]

View Profile of Flat Black Send a personal message to Flat Black      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation