FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 11:01 am   Permalink

awesome stuff, henrik! sorry it's been a while, but i've been dealing with virus problems, and have been without computer offand on for some time; but i'm ready for those tiles, and need a total(including s/h),so shoot me an email, and i'll get with you! can't wait!! -pat

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-07 12:14 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

Time for an update - first off, mahalo for the comments! I'll do my best here to reply:

TikiShark - Yowza! Thank you so much! It means a lot coming from you - I check your thread like 10 times a day for updates! You must bring your amazing mug designs into the 3D realm!

BGreen - Mahalo! Yep, I fire at cone 5-6. I occasionally fire cone 10 when I join up with the Hawaii Potter's Guild. Cone 10 gave me some neat results - but it is hard to get bright color at those temperatures. Also, it really shortens the lifespan of an electric kiln (I use electric not gas in my studio)

Kahu - I am a fan of the bat as well. He is drying nicely (knockonwoodfingerscrossed)

Matt - Evil Dead! Too funny. Love the film, and when I was in LA I worked for the shop that did all the deadites for Evil Dead 3 (before I got there). Had a bunch slowly rotting away on the walls watching us while we worked.

Mr. Gambino - ohboyohboyohboy Sam-freaking-Gambino likes my mug! Mahalo!

Frostiki - Thank you! Yeah, they have been getting rather intricate. Ms. VanTiki always comes home, looks at the new mug and rolls her eyes. I say, "what?" and she replies, "geez - how much bigger can they get?"

Flat Black - Stoked you like the Monkey Mug - it is one of my all-time favorites!

GreenTikiPat - Thanks for posting. Your tiles are in a holding pattern in the studio - and I'll take them in for a landing (by dipping them in glaze) this weekend.

Okay! So, I have a bunch of sketches that I am dying to turn into clay and have set aside the entire weekend for sculpting. Can't wait! Expect a lot of photos Monday! In the meantime, Fired up a bunch of spooky skull tiles last night (along with some test chips) and finally got around to getting some glaze on the tentacles. Proceeded to run out of the glaze and will have to finish them up tonight after hitting the clay store this afternoon. A post of the first coat: the orange underbelly -

Thanks again for all the comments and encouragement - it really fuels the artistic fire! (wow - sorry if that is corny!)

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 2:12 pm   Permalink

Very Sweet Henrik!! I know they are mugs, but it would be cool to see a mega bunch of these hanging down from a ceiling somewhere

What are you using the WD-40 and the torch for??

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ganthis

Posted: 2008-05-09 11:17 am   Permalink

Totally wicked mug. When I look at them I get chills because they look so real, and yet I cant stop staring at them. Cant wait to see how they come out with the final colors. Keep up the good work!

View Profile of ganthis Send a personal message to ganthis  Email ganthis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flat Black
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 1:09 pm   Permalink

They look great already!

Something about the color combination already looks good.. like a creamsicle.

The tentacles are so awesome.

View Profile of Flat Black Send a personal message to Flat Black      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-15 12:12 pm   Permalink

Mmmmmmmm... Tentacle creamsicle...... <drools>

Mahalo everyone! Babalu - The torch is for firming up clay while I am working on it. I usually use it to harden the porcelain bits-and-pieces before pressing them into the mugs or to firm up a structural piece. The WD-40 is the release agent for my brass clay stamp - helps to keep the clay from sticking.

Was up late last night sculpting 2 small-ish "hollow log" mugs. Will post shots of them later today after I finish them. Kiln has been going non-stop. I bisque fired the Monkey God and VamPire Bat mugs (opening the kiln shortly - if they have cracked I will die a little bit inside!), glaze fired a slew of tiles (cone 6) and will fire the tentacles and a few more tiles today (cone 5) followed by a final low fire gold-glaze experiment. Whew! We've been having a hard time sleeping because the studio is right next to the bedroom, and the kiln is so HOT.

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-15 12:16 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to see the tenticle mugs, they look amazing.

Thanks for posting all the photos.

Devil Reef Bar Blog
http://www.devilreef.com

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-15 3:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

I'm happy to present the Hollow Log Brothers - Witch Doctors in Ordinary to the Chief of VanTiki Island. How can a roughly hewn pair of logs be witch doctors, you ask? Well, the Chief had a regular run-of-the-mill W.D. for some time, but grew tired of constantly hearing, "Your Greatness, perhaps you've had enough roast pig for one night" or, "You know, O Mighty One, that your liver will have its revenge one day." One day the Chief had his W.D. marooned on nearby Skull Rock, and set about crafting these vessels out of some nearby hollow logs. "You see," said the Chief, "These Witch Doctors are even better than my last one. They never say a word, but when I am feeling nervous before a great battle they can fill me with liquid courage - and they are a lot of fun at parties."

These roughly-carved Medicine Men dispense their magic elixirs though their uppermost branch. If you look closely in the photos you can see that I made it hollow - think of it as a natural wooden straw!

Here are the photos of the finished sculpts - they will be relaxing on the drying rack for a few weeks:

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-15 6:03 pm   Permalink

I like how you did the teeth on these guys. Set in like that.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-15 6:41 pm   Permalink

Mahalo teakey. Yep - wanted to give them an under-bite and a bit of depth with the teeth, so I made some "gums" - stuck in the teeth, and then built the face planes over that with slabs. Looked terrible at first (with just the gums) and they almost ended up in the Trash Can Of Failure.

OK - yet another update (you can tell it is a studio week for me!). Just laded up the kiln for a cone 5 glaze firing.

First floor: Tiles.

The two in the center will (fingers crossed) be gloss black - they will be pained with gold after firing and jump right back into the kiln for a nice gloss gold finish (if all goes well - which is rather rare around here). You can also see a few of my clay tiki-coins (discussed on my tile thread).

Second Floor: Creature From The Depths

Oh man. Got a bad feeling about these guys. I am really worried about the glaze on the inside - it may drip. I HATE GLAZING! Whew. Ok. Had to vent. They'll make a nice conversation piece if the interior glaze fails and you can't drink out of them.

Babalu - a HUGE thanks for the grog/sand hint. Worked like a charm on the Mug of the Monkey God and the Mug of the Vampire Bat. Speaking of which, here is a scale photo of the bisqued pieces:

Yessir - quite hefty!

Mahalo for peeking!

Henrik "will chew off all his fingernails this afternoon while the kiln is going" VanTiki

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-15 10:06 pm   Permalink

WOW! That full kiln sure is a pretty sight! I love seeing these action shots...

You sir are one prolific individual...There is just nothing better than the feel of a hand made mug is there. It's also very cool to see that you are hanging out with folks at your local potters guild over there too. I really should be doing the same here in San Diego.

It's so much fun when your in a room full of people who are of the same ilk. When I was living in Denver several years ago I use to get the opportunity (a few times a year) to be part of the firing off of John Balisteri's Anagama. Talk about fun!...there just nothing finer than staying up all night stoking an Anagama with wood. If you ever get the chance...man, you have to be a part of a big wood firing like this. Check out John's Site...
http://johnbalistreriartist.com/ cruise through the early years area to see his Anagama. This dude has really gone places since the last time I was over at his house...The guy is getting as big as Peter Volkus was these days.

I see after doing a quick online search that there is an Anagama in Hawaii owned by an artist named Clayton Amemiya http://www.dahawaiistore.com/tsuhaanagama.html ...I don't know much about this guy but he sure looks like he's been around. You should give him a call and see if you can be part of one of his wood firings sometime...tell him you'll just cut wood, or whatever he wants you to do just to be able come over to watch and learn. It's one of those things as a ceramicist you just have to experience. Glaze from ash is a beautiful thing

And hey, thank you for the WD-40 tip...I'll have to try this. I've always used veggie oil or Pam spray, but I can see where WD-40 could work too...sure.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-17 7:56 pm   Permalink

MR. BALI HAI - PLEASE REMAIN CALM - AVOID SUDDEN MOVEMENTS - THEY CAN SENSE YOUR FEAR

GO TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 8:10 pm   Permalink

Awesome Work! Allways! Mahalo! Gogo

View Profile of GO TIKI Send a personal message to GO TIKI  Email GO TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 9:50 pm   Permalink

YAY!

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 10:25 pm   Permalink

Crazy Colors

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation