FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-19 11:22 am   Permalink

Mahalo GoTiki, Babalu, and TeaKEY! I love the set of sushi love - I hope both sets get picked up by the same person as they look great together.

And now let me switch gears....

A few weeks ago I splurged on a microscopic bottle of gold glaze. Now, this isn't just any ol' gold-colored glaze - it is a glaze made of actual gold! (you ceramic folks out there will know what I am talking about). I have always read about the stuff, and I decided to give it a go. Now, I can't begin to describe how stressful it was painting with this stuff! Imagine a thimble half-filled with vanilla extract - only this modicum of extract cost you $20! Yikes! No spills or drips!~ Anyway, you need to apply this stuff to glazed ceramics - so I bisque fired 2 spooky skulls, pained them with gloss black glaze, fired them to cone 6, then painted on the gold. The crazy thing is it does not look at all like gold when you work with it (in typical pain-in-the ass mess-with-your-brain glaze fashion). The vanilla extract analogy was fairly spot on. From what I gather, the glaze is actually made of microscopic beads of gold suspended in a shellac. Boy-oh-boy did it SMELL when I fired up the kiln for the final firing (a low-temp cone 018 - around 1300 degrees F) - I am glad my kiln is vented!

So - did it work? Here is a before and after peek at the tiles on the bottom of the kiln:

Whoo! Here you can see the freshly painted tiles covered in shellac and the fired golden goodness:

And finally the golden fun:

What will I do with these guys? Well, one is a travel bug for my crazy geocaching hobby. Much like this fellow (but I won't be releasing it into the wild):

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=659841

And that concludes this episode of "The Wonders Of Glaze"

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 3:23 pm   Permalink

Those are pretty sweet Van!
always got cool stuff!

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-22 1:34 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Tiki Duddy!
Welp, the Kiln has been going at a near-nonstop pace over here! Wanted to show a few images of what is cooking. Glazed The Mug of The Vampire Bat - this is the first piece I've glazed made out of Laguna's sculpture red clay - and I am really happy with the results:

Why am I not treating you all to the "finished piece photo spread"? Well.... this guy isn't done yet. I actually had the coconuts to put him back into the kiln about 20min ago for a final low temp firing. A bit of a glaze highlight - and I pray to the kiln gods that it works! I also have these spiffy teeth that I am going to braid with a few goodies and hang from the back "handles":

And finally - a peek at some VERY rough (and VERY small) sculpts. These min-mugs will reside in the heart of larger creations. More shots to follow as things take shape.

Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-23 12:16 pm   Permalink

Sick, just sick stuff bro! keep em' comin!!

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-23 4:29 pm   Permalink

You're on a roll now! Man it's good to see finished (well almost in the case of the vampire lord) mugs rolling out of the kiln with no defects! The tentacles turned out beautifully.
I noticed I can buy the laguna clay online here in NZ - they seem to have a really good range for all kinds of purposes....

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-24 12:36 am   Permalink

Those Gold tiles look like some sick Aztec or Mayan artifact swiped by Indiana Jones yo!

Love the Vampire pieces as well.

ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-26 1:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

Mahalo Kahu - I'll do my best!

Paipo - I'm happy to have a few non-cracked mugs as well! As for Laguna clay - I love it. Lots of options, and very consistent. Mind you, it is just about the only thing pottery shops carry out here, so I don't have a lot of experience with anything else!

SneakyTiki - My thoughts exactly! Wait till you see the next batch of goodies....

On to studio news - the Jug of the Vampire Bat is done! I've got more photos on my site (as well as the back story) but here are a few peeks:

The mug's page:
http://www.vantiki.com/VanTiki/Jug_of_the_Bat.html

Mahalo!
Henrik "VanTiki"

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 12:40 pm   Permalink

Hey Henrik,

I think your right...that red clay in combination with your glaze gives the piece a really nice warm look. Man, the gold tooth and the jade colored details are "KILLA" too...they just throw this work right over the top! Keep posting...I find I needs my VanTiki fix.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 09:44 am   Permalink

yea, that guy came out so cool!! and the gold pieces blow me away!
hey my tiles showed up yesterday!!! woo hoo! they're awesome, man! thank you and mahalo! i'll post some pics when they're in place. rock-on man!

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 2:00 pm   Permalink

Aloha Vantiki!!!
so much killer art goin on my head is strarting to swim,very Kool ,Aloha Mooney

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flat Black
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 08:16 am   Permalink

<jaw on floor>

The gold tooth is so perfect I can't even describe it.

View Profile of Flat Black Send a personal message to Flat Black      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-30 1:19 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

Babalu - Glad you like the tooth and goodies - I was SOOO worried about the tooth, as it involved yet another firing for the luster glaze. Thank the Kiln Gods the mug pulled through it all OK! The Jade colored bits are a green tinted porcelain with clear glaze. They look wild! I originally got the green porcelain to use as gums on a planned zombie mug - but I haven't gotten around to it yet

GreenTikiPat - Stoked the tiles arrived safe-and-sound! Please please please send me a shot when you get them installed!

Mooney - Mahalo!

Flat Back - I love the tooth too - as I mentioned to Babalu above it was totally worth the extra sweat and stress!

And now the new stuff: This stone deity will hold one of the mini-mugs I showed a few posts ago. It is BIG - has an upper chamber for rum and juices, and is marked with a sun shape around its rim, a set of constellations, and a stylized stone skull. Did I mention it is BIG? A whole 25lbs of clay went into this fellow (there are a lot of scraps piled up around him on the workbench - so it isn't exactly a 25lb mug, but is is rather weighty I discovered when taking outside to photograph it). I'll be adding more detail (and possibly some sort of feet to elevate it a bit) as the clay firms up. Enough jibber-jabber, on to the photos!

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 2:33 pm   Permalink

Gosh Dang. Crazy thing is that I was thinking constantly about a mug like this just before you posted. The idea of the mug is the craziest part. A first of any I do believe. A mug that's inside a mug. I have been thinking back what made the stuff I owned so good as a child. It was the toys I owned in the 80s. G.I.Joe toys. The figures had "accessories" and the really good figures had vehicles.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 2:40 pm   Permalink

Wow, that is truly stupendous! The mug-in-a-mug idea is awesome! I saw one of your mugs on eBay some time back and bookmarked you onto my seller's list so I could admire your new pieces from afar I just recently joined up here, it's great to see that you post here so I can read some of the stories behind your works of art. Maybe I'll work up the cajones to bid on one some day, it's like that old TV ad- "expensive, but darned well worth it"

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-04 5:23 pm   Permalink

TeaKey - ...and knowing is half the battle!

TikiTres - Mahalo and welcome to our little grass shack on the web! Glad you like my mugs, and I am even happier you joined this forum! So many talented artists post here that your head will spin!

Onto the new goodies: I've been going nuts for the past week filling all the tikicoin orders. Now that I've got the last of them shipped off I was able to return to this epic mug sculpt: The Gold Eater. Yessir - here is a peek at the finished sculpt. By far the biggest (not as tall as other mugs - but VERY hefty) I've done to date. The "Mini Mug" you see in the stone deity's mouth will be glazed with 22k gold (whoo!) and will (fingers crossed) be quite sparkly nestled in the idol's stone maw. I took a shot of the mug next to Mr. Bali Hai to give you folks a sense of scale. And now, the photos:

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation