FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-18 7:06 pm   Permalink

Ooga Shaka!...Ooga Ooga Ooga Shaka!...Oooga! Oooga!...
<<<<<------ (native drum solo)

Vantiki hear your black bubbling kettle boil! natives restless...howlers shake leaves in the jungle darkness. CrACk! SnaP! PoP! glowing amber fire hot.
They come...but when?

BWANA!!!.......flip-flop-flippp

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-26 9:13 pm   Permalink

Aloha all -

FINALLY got around to firing batch #2 - here they are fresh out of the kiln in all there bisque glory. Will be getting some glaze on these folks in the next few days. Some of these are spoken for, but a few will be on the web site soon!

Sadly, I popped the Jabber Pod mugs in the kiln a tad prematurely, and one blew out due to steam in the clay. Doh! Patience is a virtue. Thank the Tiki Gods that he didn't take out a few other mugs when he blew. I'll file the knife edge off of the hole and use the mug for a glaze test. When he's on my shelf no one will know his "holey" secret!

More news as it comes!

Mahalo,
VanTiki

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2006-04-26 21:15 ]

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-02 12:21 pm   Permalink

Was able to get some time put aside yesterday for glazing - here are the Trepanning Accidents in the process of getting their first coat of color (a black wash):

Wanna get these guys in the kiln tomorrow (along with all the others). Never have enough time!

Mahalo,
VanTiki

PS - using Velvet Underglazes for the skulls with a clear coat on top. I LOVE the velvet underglazes! Colors stay true all they way up to cone 6. Just wish they were a little cheaper. The teeth look a tad pink because they are porcelain, which for some odd reason looks pink after the bisque firing.

PPS - added bonus point for anyone who can recognize my little project in the background. Not exactly tiki...

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2006-05-02 12:23 ]

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-03 08:46 am   Permalink

I love what you are doing on these skulls. Whats one thing that we all have and can't see...skulls.

Your background project?- is it the scrolling fence behind the skulls in the last pic.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HonuTiki

Posted: 2006-05-03 1:09 pm   Permalink

Great mugs! Love them! I'll be checking your site often to see what's available so I can grab one for myself!! Also, your website looks great! Congrats!!

View Profile of HonuTiki Send a personal message to HonuTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-05-03 1:36 pm   Permalink

Are these mugs for display only?

I stumbled across the following statement in regards to food grade glaze. Perhaps you can ease my concerns.

http://www.7ceramic.com/catalogs/web/CS04_05E.pdf

-------------------
Not all ceramic glazes contain lead compounds and extremely few contain cadmium. Whether or not such glazes could be used on food containers is listed on their individual labels. Well formulated glazes will result in a stable surface which will not dissolve in contact with foods. Most glazes are subjected to lead release testing by an independent , approved laboratory to establish the dinnerware status of each glaze by passing the guidelines established by the FDA for dinnerware glazes. However, in view of the new reduced guidelines established by the FDA in November 1991 and due to many variables that can affect lead leachability in finished ware (exact firing temperature, contamination from other ware being fired in the kiln, etc.) It is recommended that the pro-ducer of any for sale dinnerware have it tested for leachable lead by an approved laboratory to determine whether or not it meets FDA guidelines in its own category BEFORE IT IS PUT ON THE MARKET.Some glazes are not suitable for use on food contact services. Glazes that contain a crackle materials and textured surfaces are difficult to clean within the cracks and can be soft and corroded if used frequently.It is impossible for any glaze manufacturer to guarantee the finished properties of its products since application and firing are critical factors over which the supplier has no control. Tableware producers are respon-sible for complying with FDA guidelines for lead release. Any statements concerning dinnerware safety must be confirmed by the producer of the products through lead release testing by an approved laboratory.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-03 1:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-03 13:36, Hakalugi wrote:
Are these mugs for display only?

I stumbled across the following statement in regards to food grade glaze. Perhaps you can ease my concerns.

Aloha Hakalugi -

I appreciate your concerns - they are well founded! All the glazes I use in my studio are certified food safe and lead free by their manufacturers (Laguna, Amaco, and Duncan). The only chemical you need to worry about when drinking from a VanTiki mug is alcohol! I understand where the passage you quoted is coming from in regards to getting tableware tested for leeching lead compounds, but as a backyard hobbyist I can't afford it. As I don't mix my own glazes, and only use certified lead free glazes, I figure I am in the clear. If you want more info on the specific glazes I use feel free to PM me. PS - I love your username!

Mahalo,
VanTiki

TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-03 3:43 pm   Permalink

Reader's Digest-ive...

+ teaKEY
Quote:
"what you are doing on these skulls"

+ HonuTiki
Quote:
"I can grab one for myself"

+ Hakalugi
Quote:
"I stumbled across "food grade glaze"

+ VanTiki
Quote:
"I appreciate your concerns" a VanTiki mug is alcohol" I can't afford it"

j0nz saiz, "freezer safe for custard" hows about a pie" where's midnite...midnite likes pie" lots and lots of pie or a good club sandwich"

...I hope this clarifies all safety concerns. If headache or nausea persists try "any of a series of volatile hydroxyl compounds that are made from hydrocarbons by distillation"

Flip-fl0p-fLipPp....

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-03 3:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-02 12:21, VanTiki wrote:

PPS - added bonus point for anyone who can recognize my little project in the background. Not exactly tiki...

It's a runner on Santa's sleigh.

I can't believe how cool those skulls look, nice work!!

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy 2006-05-03 15:47 ]

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-05 11:47 am   Permalink

Just unloaded batch #2 from the final glaze fire! here are the results:

Really stoked about these - I'll be sending e-mails today for those who pre-ordered mugs, and the rest will be up on the site soon. So hard to wait for the kiln to cool - could barely sleep last night!

VanTiki

tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-05 12:31 pm   Permalink

WOW!!!!!!! those skulls came out awesome!! actually, all of your mugs did, but the skulls are too cool!!

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-05 12:35 pm   Permalink

awesome work, vt! the red pongos look great. i can't wait to add a few more to my collection.

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HonuTiki

Posted: 2006-05-05 12:57 pm   Permalink

Awesome batch!! The skulls rule!!

View Profile of HonuTiki Send a personal message to HonuTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kbgator
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-05 1:31 pm   Permalink

Those are outstanding mugs. They look huge, I wonder how big they are. I can't wait to a few of them. Great work.

View Profile of kbgator Send a personal message to kbgator  Email kbgator     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-05 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-05 13:31, kbgator wrote:
Those are outstanding mugs. They look huge, I wonder how big they are. I can't wait to a few of them. Great work.

all are under 6 inches and easily fit in your hand. check 'em out here:
http://www.vantiki.com/VanTiki/tikimugs.html

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation